La Reserve

Karen Lynn

Just booked our Exploration menu for our upcoming Baltics cruise. We love trying new foods so this should be a real treat. Thanks for the tip on showing up early!

We also arrived closer to the actual dinner hour and discovered most had arrived early and were enjoying sparkling wine and an amuse bouche at tables outside the restaurant. Agree, get there thirty minutes before the set time.

Also couldn't help noticing you are looking at Asia as a possible 2014 cruise. We took Oceania Nautica from Singapore to Hong Kong in 2011 and it was truly wonderful.

Also couldn't help noticing you are looking at Asia as a possible 2014 cruise. We took Oceania Nautica from Singapore to Hong Kong in 2011 and it was truly wonderful.

Thanks! That is the exact itenerary I was looking at. How many days was your cruise? Also, did you stay before and/or after in Singapore/HK and what were your opinions on that if so? We always pad our trips if possible on each end.

We also did not know about pre dinner drinks. Makes sense as they do want to accommodate folks arriving after the start time (fashionably late) and encourage everyone to arrive before the designated time. I am a little surprised arriving early is not mentioned in the booking information or perhaps I have overlooked it.

The first time we attended two of the three tables of eight were filled. We started the third and others joined. Had a fantastic evening and wonderful conversation with the others at the table.

The next time by chance we arrived early but once again most had arrived even earlier and were enjoying a glass of bubbly on the patio. La Reserve's Host for that evening assembled tables based on our groupings on deck but did check that this was suitable. I thought is was very well managed.

We have always made a point to arrive well ahead now. We do take to training :)

Just curious to see if La Reserve has a vegetarian option. While the menus and wines sound fabulous, I'm allergic to shellfish :( In these types of situations, I always order the vegetarian tasting menu and DH gets what he wants then.

I think it's well worth the price even the $165++, but I'm sure it states the dinner starts at 7:00PM.

I good 3 course Bistro in Paris will, without drinks, set you back $130 pp and in rural Brittany $85pp.

A lunch 3 course, at an Michelin 1 or 2 star for 2 will slip $500 for 2 from your pocket.

Then, an average Dinner with Wine at any star restaurant will run about $330pp without wine and $660 with paired wines for a 6 course.

The Meadow Wood, or French laundry for a tasting menu are charging $250 to $275 pp and $500 to $ 600 with pared wine for 8 courses pp.

$90 to 190 pp for top class food from Oceania is a bargin for a full course menu:D

SO lets add 30 to 50 to the bill ppl... Whoopie that $130 TO $240 tops for the whole meal...with wine and service. Any way you slice it still is hundreds and hundreds of dollars of dollars cheaper than other options.

I have not eaten at La Reserve, but have reviewed their menu and wines. From my perspective, that is as a foodie, reviewing the menu and reading the reviews of others and La Reserve appears as a bargain for what you get.....AND ON LAND your going to have to tip the Valet, Bar staff, wait staff, wine stewards..... so there goes even more

SO lets add 30 to 50 to the bill ppl... Whoopie that $130 TO $240 tops for the whole meal...with wine and service. Any way you slice it still is hundreds and hundreds of dollars of dollars cheaper than other options.

I have not eaten at La Reserve, but have reviewed their menu and wines. From my perspective, that is as a foodie, reviewing the menu and reading the reviews of others and La Reserve appears as a bargain for what you get.....AND ON LAND your going to have to tip the Valet, Bar staff, wait staff, wine stewards..... so there goes even more

Spot on! Only question I have is whether to book early and pay up front or wait til on board to use OBC. Thoughts?

Originally, there would only be a couple of nights possible on a cruise for La Reserve, which to me meant book as soon as you can.

But I believe nowadays it is more open on demand. If so, you could likely risk waiting.

You could book beforehand, cancel when on board and rebook using OBC. But that has it's risks as well. At least you can determine if nights will be available.

I have also heard that if you get a group together for La Reserve, even though it wasn't scheduled -- if you produce enough people, they'll do it for you.

Mura

My husband and I attended a $95.00 a person La Reserve wine and food pairing dinner in May on the Marina and really enjoyed it. Occassionally we go to wine dinners in restaurants at home and they are similar. Basically it is a multi-course meal already pre-chosen and paired with wines that go well with the courses. We did arrive early and were offered champagne type drinks with apptizers and it was nice to chat with other couples that would be dining with us. We are not big drinkers but definitely glad we didn't need to drive back to our room - we definitely had more than enough wine with our meal. Because the wine flowed so freely, everyone seemed very relaxed and we laughed more at that dinner than we did throughout the trip.

The food was good - small portions but I think there were about 7 courses so we were satisfied at the end of the meal. It consisted of seafood and beef, all prepared and presented beautifully.

Originally we questioned paying extra for the meal since we had so many delicious already included meal choices but we were really glad we splurged. We will have underaged family members with us on the upcoming cruise we are taking so will not participate at La Reserve this time on the Riveria. I highly recommend it if you enjoy trying different wines and gourmet dishes.

I good 3 course Bistro in Paris will, without drinks, set you back $130 pp and in rural Brittany $85pp.

A lunch 3 course, at an Michelin 1 or 2 star for 2 will slip $500 for 2 from your pocket.

Then, an average Dinner with Wine at any star restaurant will run about $330pp without wine and $660 with paired wines for a 6 course.

The Meadow Wood, or French laundry for a tasting menu are charging $250 to $275 pp and $500 to $ 600 with pared wine for 8 courses pp.

$90 to 190 pp for top class food from Oceania is a bargin for a full course menu:D

And for that French laundry tasting menu you're getting the freshest of fresh ingredients that you won't see at sea (and a few more courses to boot). You're also paying a premium for Thomas Kellers three stars. La Reserve could indeed be a bargain, but to say it's a bargain because its cheaper than some of the worlds best restaurants? I'm sure someone could come up with a tasting and soda menu using McDonalds value menu - that would be a great bargain, even better than La Resrve.:D

And for that French laundry tasting menu you're getting the freshest of fresh ingredients that you won't see at sea (and a few more courses to boot). You're also paying a premium for Thomas Kellers three stars. La Reserve could indeed be a bargain, but to say it's a bargain because its cheaper than some of the worlds best restaurants? I'm sure someone could come up with a tasting and soda menu using McDonalds value menu - that would be a great bargain, even better than La Resrve.:D

My term bargain was in reference to an apparent haut level of cuisine in the upper reaches of gastronomy. What I mean is that in my opinion La Reserve can be fairly compared to a great number of outstanding restaurants and thus an excellent opportunity to have both food and wine.

I make this judgment from reviewing all the data on La reserve and too having lived in the Napa Valley for 25 years I have had some experience. Too I have dined across France and many 3 star and 2 star. My call is the Oceania chefs and kitchen appear to be very on their game. So yes Bargin:cool:

If you are such a 'foodie' and have cruised Oceania 'a few times' why haven't you eaten in La Reserve :confused:.

I never considered it until I read recent threads that brought it to my attention That and too many other options.

Finally I am booked for a next cruise 49 days where the desire to have or try another option during almost 2 months, seemed good to include.

As a foodie I can also appreciate a chili dog and a beer with equal pleasure as a Michelin 2 to 3 star at Kellers.

It is all relative to the situation I am not one who" needs" but enjoys what there is.

I just spoke to a resevationist at O and she told me that there are only 1 night per menu on a 12 night cruise.She was not sure about a 18 day cruise which we are on this coming Feb.

So you reserve at least 90 days before and then they have the menu for one of those 3 nights. Am I understanding it correctly?

Thanks

I just spoke to a resevationist at O and she told me that there are only 1 night per menu on a 12 night cruise.She was not sure about a 18 day cruise which we are on this coming Feb.

So you reserve at least 90 days before and then they have the menu for one of those 3 nights. Am I understanding it correctly?

Thanks

Because you pay for your evening at La Reserve when you make the reservation, you will already be aware of the Menu that is being offered on a particular night by the price that is being charged.

Similar to Cooking Classes, and Shore Excursions where one also pays at the time of reservation, any passenger with a valid booking number may make a reservation at La Reserve as soon as the Option appears on the Oceania Site which (although it can happen earlier) I would typically start looking for at about 6 months out.

Is La Reserve open every night?

It has not been in the past, but "the powers that be" want it to be open more often, and I have heard the term "every night" bandied about for the future.

Keep checking under "Manage my cruise" for the exact schedule for your voyage.

I'm not Jim&Stan so I won't comment on my next cruise!

But as to La Reserve, I have heard that if you get enough people together they will schedule an evening.

I can't swear to that. I believe I read that here around the time they started talking about TPTB wanting to have it open more often. In fact, I thought that it already was! Open more often, I mean.

It's too early for me to book La Reserve for our November 2013 cruise (which will be 18 or 20 days) so I can't speak to what will be officially offered at that time.

Mura

I'm not Jim&Stan so I won't comment on my next cruise!

But as to La Reserve, I have heard that if you get enough people together they will schedule an evening.

I can't swear to that. I believe I read that here around the time they started talking about TPTB wanting to have it open more often. In fact, I thought that it already was! Open more often, I mean.

It's too early for me to book La Reserve for our November 2013 cruise (which will be 18 or 20 days) so I can't speak to what will be officially offered at that time.

Mura

Mura, you may want to check to see if they've scheduled the La Reserve days for your cruise. We're on Riviera in mid-November, and they've had La Reserve reservations open for at least the past ten days...three nights for the 14 day cruise, 1 night per menu. (Though, I really wish they had scheduled each of the menus for one of the many sea days. The one we'd like is a port day. Oh, well...next time.)

You were right! I just signed up for the Connoisseur Menu.

Of course the system made me use the wrong credit card ... but that can be changed!

Mura

Mura, do you happen to know why the Connoisseur menu is so much more? I've looked at all three menus, and each one has its pluses. Is it the wine they serve with the courses? I'm not a drinker, so it's hard to know. Yes, I did partake of dinner in La Reserve on our last O cruise, and I loved it. But, I have no clue when talking wines. (I know, not exactly your typical patron at L.R.)

Archived