HAL Transfers Vancover to SEA

BZEKE

We did the one way car rental as well since we were spending the next day in Seattle before catching our flight home. Only hitch in the whole process was the 3 1/2 hour wait at the border to get across. Yuk!!

There was a thread awhile back regarding this. I remember LaffNVegas had provided some good information as they have used the service before.

We were picked up early around 8 am and we got to Seattle Airport around 1 or 2 pm don't quite remember and the cost is $65. Hal advise that you don't make flight arrangements until after 3 pm. You never know exactly how long it will take you to cross the border.

The trip itself is ok, its just a long bus ride but better then paying the really high price of flying out of Vancouver. Hope this helps.

Last time we went from Vancouver to Seattle after a cruise we took Amtrak. Worked great, just sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the scenery. Don't remember the border crossing being anything more difficult than looking at our passports and asking us a couple of questions about our destination. I think it took less than 30 minutes for the whole train.

Note I would get a reasonable price hotel at the airport area in Seattle for one night. Suggestions, Hilton, Raddison,Marriot, Hampton Hotel or even La Quinta isn't too bad they had a good cont. breakfast in their price, the 30 day prepay makes it reasonable. Reason is simple---the U.S. boder is hard to tell. We crossed this Tuesday, and we had over a two hour wait and we were on a bus. Our passports had been scanned, but still a long slow process. This was now before the cuts in service. Only one CBP agent working, two running the case scanner. Also Seattle is one of the slowest TSA places in the U.S. I have trusted flyers card, and it still took over an hour. They have a lot of traffic and they are very through in their checking. This was a non busy, non holiday time. You never know. It is worth it for peace of mine. Beside you can take the rail link into Seattle from the airport into Seattle easily, most hotels will take you there, though the walk from the hotels mentioned was not far.

I used a service called Quick Shuttle last year. They had a stand right inside Canada Place. I made my reservations beforehand online, so all they had to do was scan my passport.

I got off in downtown Seattle and stayed overnight, as all flights back to Nashville leave in the morning. I'm going to use Quick Shuttle again for my upcoming Coastal cruise in May.

Roz

We have used HAL's transfers about 3 times.

The bus dropped off the people first at the airport -- around 2:30. They had to take their luggage inside the terminal -- checkin -- go through security -- it all takes time. I would schedule a flight until after 5 PM.

We always stay at a hotel near the airport and fly out the next morning.

Melodie and Roz, thank you both for the information.

I'll be sailing into Vancouver next year, but it's easier to get to home from Seattle, so I want to ride down there, stay overnight at an airport hotel, and get an early flight the next morning.

Both of your suggestions are worth exploring, and I will do just that.

We are flying home from Vancouver BC in May and had a hard time finding a convenient return flight to LAX, nonstop or not. On a hunch I searched for flights arriving in smaller airports in the LA area and found better flights. For our trip, we are flying back from Vancouver to Burbank, CA with a convenient early afternoon departure. You might want to check alternative airports.

igraf

Ruth,

If you book Quick Shuttle, they offer a small senior discount. You could take Quick Shuttle to Seatac and then stay at a hotel that offers shuttle service to and from the airport. It could potentially save you hundreds of dollars on your flight vs. flying from Vancouver.

I'm getting my hotel in downtown Seattle free with Hilton Honors points, so it was a no-brainer for me to take advantage of Southwest's Seattle to Nashville flight.

Roz

Not quite the no-brainer for some of us. This is our vacation and we are not going to spend hours at a border checkpoint plus a few more hours riding in a bus each way.

I'll don't like paying extra to fly into Vancouver but I'll save some money somewhere else. We are looking forward to spending a peaceful night visiting Vancouver before the cruise and a quick trip home afterwards.

igraf

Ruth,

If you book Quick Shuttle, they offer a small senior discount. You could take Quick Shuttle to Seatac and then stay at a hotel that offers shuttle service to and from the airport. It could potentially save you hundreds of dollars on your flight vs. flying from Vancouver.

I'm getting my hotel in downtown Seattle free with Hilton Honors points, so it was a no-brainer for me to take advantage of Southwest's Seattle to Nashville flight.

Roz

Igraf, I'm sorry if my post offended you. I was just trying to provide info that others may find helpful.

Yes, it was also my vacation, and I didn't spend hours at the border crossing. It was pull in, get off the bus, show passport to agent inside, get back on bus, bus gets on I-5 to Seattle. I found the ride from Vancouver to Seattle to be relaxing and scenic.

Roz

Not quite the no-brainer for some of us. This is our vacation and we are not going to spend hours at a border checkpoint plus a few more hours riding in a bus each way.

I'll don't like paying extra to fly into Vancouver but I'll save some money somewhere else. We are looking forward to spending a peaceful night visiting Vancouver before the cruise and a quick trip home afterwards.

igraf

Not sure where you are flying to from Vancouver, Igraf, but you will also have a long wait at the Vancouver airport to get through the US customs - US flights are prescreened in Vancouver. And you may have a long TSA line as well. When we flew to Detroit from Vancouver we were in line for well over 2 hours. Only you can decide whether the wait time outweighs the added cost to fly from Vancouver

Now, if you are flying to another Canadian destination, you only have to contend with the TSA line.

Enjoy your trip.

On numerous trips to Vancouver from the US I have actually spent more time in lines at the Vancouver airport than at the border. Either one can be a breeze or a real pain, depends on the "luck of the draw", or just chance.

IF (and that is a big IF) it is clear, the views from the bus in parts of Washington are spectacular! The same goes for the train.

We have booked the HAL transfers for our Alaska cruise in August. They are $65 pp each way. They say we will leave the pier in Vancouver at 8:30 and arrive at SeaTac about 1pm. We are staying the night at the Hampton Inn and Suites that night though (free airport transportation and breakfast).

Ruth,

Thanks, Roz. Senior discounts are nice. :D It isn't saving airfare money that I'm thinking about so much as flights home. I can fly from Seattle on full-size planes on Southwest; Vancouver would require I change to a regional jet for the final leg.

I plan to stay at the Airport Hilton as it's a comfortable hotel, has a shuttle, and is very close to the airport.

We paid under $50 total for 4 people on the Bolt Bus, Vancouver to Seattle. Note that the Bolt Bus goes from the Vancouver train station to the Seattle train station. The trip took 3.5 hours, including the border crossing. I found it very pleasant, especially with wifi on the bus. From the train station in Seattle, we took the light rail to the airport and stayed at a hotel there.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. Yesterday I made my reservation with Quick Shuttle for a transfer between Canada Place and Seatac. For a senior citizen one-way it was $53.90 in US dollars. I booked the 9:15 am shuttle that's scheduled to get to Seatac by 2:35 pm. We'll probably get there sooner as they allow extra time, not knowing what exactly will happen at the border crossing.

Originally I had made a reservation at the downtown Hilton, but since I have an 8:45 am flight, I thought it would be better to stay near the airport. I'm booked at the Hampton Inn & Suites on 28th Avenue. When I get to Seatac I'll take the HI shuttle to the hotel, and then have them bring me back to the airport in the morning. This way I'll have time for a quick breakfast and a cup of coffee before I leave.

Roz

It was an amazing sunshiney day last year when I took the shuttle, so I'm hoping for the same this time. I agree with you about the views. Makes the ride more pleasant.

Roz

Archived