25th Anniversary Dinner..Murano's or an early dinner somewhere in Rome?

SadieC

Ok...booked an awesome Mediterranean cruise for our 25th, and was going to book Murano's again...which is always awesome. But with the $45 per person, I'm not so sure anymore. Should I do something else when in Rome? Lunch...an early dinner perhaps..... somewhere you might think would fit the occasion? This is a new destination to both of us, so any recommendations would be gratefully received.:)

I'd need much more information.....but something in Rome has got to be more memorable than the indoor room of Murano...especially if it sounds like you have done it before?

I mean, re information, have you been to Rome before? When will you be there? What time of year?.....

Ok...booked an awesome Mediterranean cruise for our 25th, and was going to book Murano's again...which is always awesome. But with the $45 per person, I'm not so sure anymore. Should I do something else when in Rome? Lunch...an early dinner perhaps..... somewhere you might think would fit the occasion? This is a new destination to both of us, so any recommendations would be gratefully received.:)

Will you be in Rome just for the day as part of a port visit, or are you starting or ending your cruise there? I personally would choose to dine in Rome since you've never been there before, as there are many wonderful restaurants where you can get a great meal with wine for the $90 that you would spend in Murano.

However, if you're in Rome just for the day, I'm not sure how much time you would want to spend eating, versus sightseeing in Rome. Only so many hours in the day.

I've never been to Rome, but I can honestly say that I would choose Rome if at all possible for a memorable dinner. You can eat in Murano anytime!! Have a wonderful 25th Anniversary cruise. We went to the Caribbean for our first cruise which was also our 25th!! We are now hooked!!

The port ( Cittivechia ) is 45 minutes to an hour away from Rome. The ship departs at 7:00, so there's no time for dinner.

Murano is the perfect place for your dinner. Talk to the Maitre D in advance and alert him to your special occasion.

Dinner? When is your ship leaving?

Before 8 p.m. restaurants (apart from the touristy ones) will be quite deserted.

If I am looking for a "special" restaurant in Europe, I often look at the website of the famous Michelin guide - the one who hands out the famous stars.

Www viamichelin com. Enter city you are looking for and then you can enter special criteria, such as location, romance etc. This also gives a good price indication, website, opening hours etc.

Never failed me.

Sadly, yes...this is just a day in Rome. Arrive at 7:00 in the morning and leave at 7;00 in the evening. Have never been to Rome before, and our day is an open book. So what to do?

Sadly, yes...this is just a day in Rome. Arrive at 7:00 in the morning and leave at 7;00 in the evening. Have never been to Rome before, and our day is an open book. So what to do?

I spent two weeks in Rome after a Celebrity TA last year. This year we will be stopping for one day. My friend has never been to Rome either. We will take the ships transportation to Rome, and take the HOHO bus around the city. It goes through most important areas, and past most of the historic sites. We will get off and walk around/ eat lunch in the Spanish steps area. We can then reboard and continue the tour ( about 2 hours ) as it has a stops eventually near the Celebrity drop off point. ( check the route map, and times )

It's the best way to see the city in a brief period in my opinion.

A special lunch? We used Romecabs for our tour in rome, in a nice car, to save our legs, we saw all the important sights, and got lots of great information along the way from our lovely driver, he also took us to a really nice place for lunch, where locals eat, not tourists, it was memorable, so could be an option. Oh, congratulations by the way! :D

Dinner? When is your ship leaving?

Before 8 p.m. restaurants (apart from the touristy ones) will be quite deserted.

If I am looking for a "special" restaurant in Europe, I often look at the website of the famous Michelin guide - the one who hands out the famous stars.

Www viamichelin com. Enter city you are looking for and then you can enter special criteria, such as location, romance etc. This also gives a good price indication, website, opening hours etc.

Never failed me.

You are spot on! The Michelin guide has never failed me either.

Every cruise we do we try to plan ahead, check the guide and treat ourselves.

Whist we have done the starred restaurants, we now prefer the guides Bib Gourmand restaurants ( good food at moderate prices).

Two years ago whist on Eclpse we we're in Venice, went to a BG rated restaurant near the Rialto bridge, the food was €22 per person inc wine, there were 70+ diners and only 6 tourists amongst them,(at the shared tourist table) which was staggering for Venice, but a real endorsement of the Michelin guide.

Can I recommend you make the whole day special.

Book a private tour of Rome with a company, others here will have to suggest which ones as we always use the train from the ship having been to Rome many times. Then choose your speciality restaurant. If you are sailing in the summer months getting a beautiful view from Tuscan grill may be more romantic. Finish with a decorated cabin. It may seem naff but opening the cabin door to rose

petals, chocs and champagne was actually quite romantic. To be honest, the petals got everywhere and my DH and I still burst into spontaneous laughter at the thought.

We celebrated our 30th last year with a Baltic cruise. We took the 'children ' and celebrated for 14 wonderful days doing things we wouldn't normally to the cry of ' it's our wedding anniversary so we can splash out JUST THIS ONCE. ' at least 3 times a day.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise and a happy anniversary in what ever you choose.

Thanks everyone....some great ideas!! The time we'll be there is mid September. Will the weather still be fairly warm?

September should be a great time to visit. Googled this:

Averages for Rome in September

September sees the tourist season begin to quiet down though temperatures are still very warm in Rome.

The average daily temperature still reaches as high as 27°C (that's about 81°F), and goes no lower than 15°C (about 59°F).

The average daily sunshine is around 8 hours a day but there is an increased risk of rain, with average monthly rainfall* being 68mm on 9 days.

Light clothing such as t-shirts, shorts and sandals would still be fine for day wear, and evenings are still very mild.

In case of rain then it may be advisable to bring a light waterproof mac along on your trip. It would be a good idea to check the local weather forecast before you travel.

While there are less tourists, you can take advantage and visit some of Rome's most famous landmarks.

Thanks everyone....some great ideas!! The time we'll be there is mid September. Will the weather still be fairly warm?

We celebrated our 25th with a Mediterranean Cruise from Rome in September. The weather was perfect and yes, it will still be warm. Some restaurants in Rome don't even open for dinner until 8pm. Plan a special day to visit the city and its beautiful sights and have a nice dinner io the ship if you want to continue your celebration. The port is almost one-hour away from the city, so with only one day, try to take in as much as you can.

We used Romecabs during our visit to Rome and were very happy with their services.n they can organize anything you like! We used them again on our second visit.

Congratulations on this beautiful milestone!

Christine

I was in Rome two years ago and will be returning this summer as part of a two week vacation in Italy. I agree with all of the above, and here is my .02. I would make the whole day a "special day," get a limo to drive you to and from Rome. Have a special lunch in the city and just see the sites. Recommend you save the Sistine Chapel and Coliseum tours for future trips there big crowds and long lines. Just see the sites, have someone show you the city, have a nice lunch and cap it off with a great dinner on board.

Congrats!

Archived