Union Oyster House

luvscruising2007

I have started looking at excursions for our far off cruise to New England/Canada. One of them has a lunch at Union Oyster House in Boston.

Can anyone tell me if it is worth the extra cost to eat there?

We have taken many excursions through RC that included a meal and have mostly been quite satisfied.

We have been to Boston many times, so we have seen most of the sights. This just seemed to be a little different.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I should add -- it's a much better choice than the other old stalwart, "Durgin Park", which is 90% tourists. Union Oyster House food is fine, the problem (in my opinion) is that since it is so famous and is on excursions, it tends to fill up with tourists, at least during tourist season.

In general, any restaurant that an excursion takes you to, in just about any country, is going to be a tourist place, by definition (or "de facto, as my professors liked to say)

I have enjoyed a meal or two there.

It is right in the Quincy Market / Faneuil Hall area. You may want to go for lunch there on your own, without 40 of you new closest friends.

You could cab it or take the T. If you have visited Boston before, I'm sure you have visited this area and know what it consists of and if you desire to see it again.

It is kinda hard to have a bad meal in the North End if you like Italian food...

We, too, will be in Boston in October prior to a cruise. We've been there once before and ate lunch at Durgin Park (tourists and all!) and had the best clam chowder and cornbread I've ever eaten.

I've checked their current menu and do not see cornbread listed. Do any of you know if they still serve it with the clam chowder?

And, while I'm at it I have another question - about lobster rolls. I have always heard about the wonderful lobster rolls one could get around the northeast. We had one (in another location) and all it consisted of was some lobster meat on a roll. There was no flavor whatsoever and no condiments in sight in the restaurant. Needless to say I was not impressed and I love lobster. I didn't see anyone else adding anything to their roll, either. Is this what a lobster roll is supposed to be like?

We, too, will be in Boston in October prior to a cruise. We've been there once before and ate lunch at Durgin Park (tourists and all!) and had the best clam chowder and cornbread I've ever eaten.

I've checked their current menu and do not see cornbread listed. Do any of you know if they still serve it with the clam chowder?

And, while I'm at it I have another question - about lobster rolls. I have always heard about the wonderful lobster rolls one could get around the northeast. We had one (in another location) and all it consisted of was some lobster meat on a roll. There was no flavor whatsoever and no condiments in sight in the restaurant. Needless to say I was not impressed and I love lobster. I didn't see anyone else adding anything to their roll, either. Is this what a lobster roll is supposed to be like?

If you want great clam chowder, go to Legal Seafood. For a terrific tourist experience go to Durgin Park. Please don't consider that a "Boston" or "New England" experience, though. It's unique to the area and not like anything else around here.

For the best lobster roll, take the Blue line north (towards Wonderland) to the Orient Heights station, get out, and walk about 2/3 mile east on Saratoga Street to Belle Isle Seafood (Google maps shows it just before the little bridge at the border of East Boston and Winthrop, but it moved last year just across that bridge). If the top split hot dog bun isn't toasted just right, all you get is a soggy bun filled with lobster meat. At Belle Isle, it's toasted perfectly, and the lobster meat is filling your plate. You have to use a fork (or your fingers) to eat 3/4 of the meat, then finish it in the bun.

Haven't had the cornbread at Durgin Park, but I consider the cornbread at the Union Oyster House to be the best I've ever had.

Any place that puts celery in a lobster roll should be tarred and feathered, in a fine old New England tradition. Us Mainers like just the lobster meat with just enough mayo to keep it in the bun, though some questionable New Englanders prefer melted butter (but this definitely requires a properly toasted bun).

It is kinda hard to have a bad meal in the North End if you like Italian food...

I agree with the North End...for Italian food. There are a hundred italian restaurants. Stay away from the main Hanover St. Too touristy. Any side street will have more authentic food. I do suggest hitting Hanover St for Mikes Pastry. Best bakery around. Every type of cannoli you can think of plus tradition half moons/cupcakes/eclairs etc...

For "New England" fare, I recommend the Chart House over Union Oyster. The Chart House is a short cab ride to the Fanuiel Hall area (waterfront) Its next to the aquarium/Marriot Longwarf. A short walk to the right and your in the North End for dessert! Across the street you are in Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Market.

If you cant decide what to eat, or are with a large group who all want different things, you can go to the food court at Fanuiel Hall. There are about 30+ food stations with everything from Mexican to Chinese to Greek to Seafood to Italian to everything! Seating gets crowded, best bet it to go upstairs. Not to many people know there is an upstairs and you might find a table up there, or bring your food outside.

There are tons of restaurants between the waterfront, Quincy Market and the State House (Boston Garden) most are small, but menus are listed outside. Youll find really great food and deals at these smaller places. All I mentioned above are $$$. Welcome to Boston!

I agree with the North End...for Italian food. …..I do suggest hitting Hanover St for Mikes Pastry. Best bakery around.

Mike's is great, but again, this is the tourist pastry shop. Modern and Bova are better and less of a cattle call than Mike's.

Not that you'll get a bad pastry there, but you can do better.

Actually, the place that won the Boston Magazine award for best cannoli is Caffe Paradiso on Hanover Street (next door to one of the 2 Ms above), where you can eat your pastry with a great cup of coffee (expresso, machiato, latte, etc) or a drink, sitting down, and with lots of genuine local atmosphere (of neighborhood Italian soccer/football fans). http://caffeparadiso.com/

http://caffeparadiso.com/2012/08/we-won-best-of-boston/

I enjoyed the lobster roll at the Barking Crab. This is in the Fort Point Channel area which is on the Silver Line from the Black Falcon Terminal to South Station. Restaurant is within easy walking distance to my favorite bakery called Flour.

If you want to eat at Union Oyster then do it on your own. Boston is easy and safe to get around. No need to do a ships tour.

I agree with the comments on Mikes - very touristy, cash only, and not the best - but still really good! Many other great places that win the awards.

Restaurants - our favorite in the North End is Cafe Dolce Vita, right on Hanover Street at the Fanial Hall end.

Want something a little off key and delicious? Check out CafÉ Fleuri -- Chocolate Bar if you will be in port on the day it is open (Recent years, Saturday).

Go to the Oyster bar on your own, and get the full menu, or, just walk around the Hall area and find a place, or pick from the many in the food court area. I would not book an excursion to a restaurant. What if you are not hungry at the time you sit down???

Other options - Fenway Park area, China Town, or many of the other non-touristy seafood places the city offers.

I agree with the North End...for Italian food. There are a hundred italian restaurants. Stay away from the main Hanover St. Too touristy. Any side street will have more authentic food. I do suggest hitting Hanover St for Mikes Pastry. Best bakery around. Every type of cannoli you can think of plus tradition half moons/cupcakes/eclairs etc...

For "New England" fare, I recommend the Chart House over Union Oyster. The Chart House is a short cab ride to the Fanuiel Hall area (waterfront) Its next to the aquarium/Marriot Longwarf. A short walk to the right and your in the North End for dessert! Across the street you are in Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Market.

If you cant decide what to eat, or are with a large group who all want different things, you can go to the food court at Fanuiel Hall. There are about 30+ food stations with everything from Mexican to Chinese to Greek to Seafood to Italian to everything! Seating gets crowded, best bet it to go upstairs. Not to many people know there is an upstairs and you might find a table up there, or bring your food outside.

There are tons of restaurants between the waterfront, Quincy Market and the State House (Boston Garden) most are small, but menus are listed outside. Youll find really great food and deals at these smaller places. All I mentioned above are $$$. Welcome to Boston!

Sad to say but Mike of Mike's Pastry died recently. He lived a long life and produced many a delicious cannoli. The bakery is still open and operating.

Archived