For Florence and Pisa tour - do Pisa first, or last?

Kidsoftheseas

We too, were wondering the same thing for our trip in July. Our tour company mentioned doing it in the afternoon in case we were running late and to also miss the morning rush when the rest of the tours dump their bus loads of people there.

I am trying to gain some perspective if it is better to do Pisa first from Livorno and Florence second, or whether there is an advantage in doing the reverse direction.

Any thoughts/insight on this?

I see the value of going furthest out and working ones way back...but assuming you're not overly worried about time, I'd suggest Pisa first. This assumes you'll be off the ship pretty much ASAP. Florence is ALWAYS pretty busy...but Pisa is actually not too crowded early on. We got there a few minutes before the Tower even opened (our pre-booked Tower ticket was in the first group of the day). We got some GREAT photos of the site, because there were less than 20 people there for about 45 minutes or so. By the time we got down from the tower, the place was packed.

Whatever you do, get tickets in advance for the Tower, the Uffizi Gallery in Florence and the Accademia in Florence. And be warned, that just because you bought advance tickets doesn't mean you won't still stand in line for awhile. The Uffizi, even with our advance purchase, was a 30 minute line after we picked up the tickets. Yes, it would have been much longer without advance purchase, but there doesn't seem to be a way to eliminate the wait at either major Florence museum.

thanks for great tips!

since we will be with kids, we were going to do a private company with driver - and also NOT planning to climb the tower. Don't know if it makes a difference.

Ship docks at 8am I believe.

I would love to go to Pisa first if that means less crowds, if possible in our scenario

Go to Pisa first. It will be empty first thing in the morning.

thanks for great tips!

since we will be with kids, we were going to do a private company with driver - and also NOT planning to climb the tower. Don't know if it makes a difference.

Ship docks at 8am I believe.

I would love to go to Pisa first if that means less crowds, if possible in our scenario

From experience here, PISA first especially with a private tour company. If you are off the ship early, you can have a good hour there and no lines. This gives you more time in Florence where the crowds are more spread out.

While not usually a fan of ship excursions we opted to do the ship offered DIY...We went to Pisa first for about 45 min- 1 hour then onto Florence for 4-5 hours...No need to worry about time since this was a ship excursion..This option and the time we spent in Florence on our own ended up being a favorite with no worries. Might be worth taking a look at if this is offered on your cruiseline.

For a slightly different viewpoint on the ship's transportation option, read here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25267439&postcount=4

I think you can sense the frustration.

And just an FYI -- you have to watch the time whether you take the ship's transportation or the train. I've read about folks that got left behind in Florence because they were not at the meeting point in time for the ship's bus. They do not always count -- or wait for stragglers.

For a slightly different viewpoint on the ship's transportation option, read here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25267439&postcount=4

I think you can sense the frustration.

And just an FYI -- you have to watch the time whether you take the ship's transportation or the train. I've read about folks that got left behind in Florence because they were not at the meeting point in time for the ship's bus. They do not always count -- or wait for stragglers.

Then we were very lucky..but like anything in life there can always be different experiences...There were only 18-20 of us on our DIY Pisa & Florence..We had a wonderful guide..gave us exactly a time frame and NO one was late or had a problem..As a matter of fact we were all in front of the leather store with time to spare..Worked out very easy for us so don't always assume the worst :)

Another consideration is the size of the vehicle you will be travelling in...

Private operators use 8 passenger vans that can get inside the city walls and drop you off right at the tower, literally right in front of it.

Ships busses have to park way outside the city walls, then you walk in, AND out...which chews up time...especially when the bus is full (stragglers, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Although I love Pisa (shame on those who say there is only a tower) I would devote the entire day to Florence. There's enough there to keep you occupied, and this gives you time to stop and smell the pizza. :rolleyes:

At least, go to Florence first. Then you can decide if you have enough time. I think you will find Florence will fill your time, and get you back to the ship without stressing about making the ship on time.

we've had Livorno as a cruise stop twice and both times visited Pisa first as part of a private excursion

With this being the first stop our 7 seater van got us close to the centre by 8-8.30 am with no crowds and plenty of photo opps.After an hour we recommenced the tour

First time was to Tuscan countryside-second was to Florence

my vote would be for Pisa first

My experience was if you get to Pisa by 8 a.m. there are not many visitors. You can visit all the buildings without any crowds.

If you are going between April and September the cathedral, baptistry and tower all open at 8 AM, so you will not be able to get to Pisa ahead of the crowd anyway. Go to Florence first.

I agree Florence is gorgeous and offers so much, one day is not even enough. That said, some of us feel that we may never have the opportunity to visit Pisa and Florence so if both are on your bucket list, it is possible to do both. To make the most of your time, Pisa is better visited first thing, there are less crowds at 8 a.m. then in the afternoon. jmo Hopefully we all will be able to get back and spend more time in Florence. But if not, we were still able to enjoy the highlights of both cities. jmo

Although I love Pisa (shame on those who say there is only a tower) I would devote the entire day to Florence. There's enough there to keep you occupied, and this gives you time to stop and smell the pizza. :rolleyes:

At least, go to Florence first. Then you can decide if you have enough time. I think you will find Florence will fill your time, and get you back to the ship without stressing about making the ship on time.

If you are going between April and September the cathedral, baptistry and tower all open at 8 AM, so you will not be able to get to Pisa ahead of the crowd anyway. Go to Florence first.

Sorta true, at least from my experience. We arrived shortly before 8. We had advance purchased tickets for the Tower starting at 8. The Baptistry WAS open, but only takes a few minutes to visit. The Cathedral WAS closed, so we missed that, except a glimpse through the open door. But our 8 am group up the tower was only 10 people. That was nice. While we were up there, the buses arrived. So the window of opportunity for small crowds is limited, but worth it. But you MUST, MUST get your tower tickets in advance. Allow 10 minutes to actually go to the office to pick them up before returning to the tower to start the tour.

• 4 weeks later...
We want to do Pisa first, but will be taking the train on our own. Will we still be able to get there before the crowds if the ship is scheduled to dock at 8am?

You won't be the first ones there, but you'll be ahead of the bus tours.

Best case, if you get off the ship shortly after 8 AM and take a taxi to the train station, would be the 8:29 train that arrives at Pisa Centrale at 8:50. From there is a five minute cab ride or a 20 - 30 minute walk to the Piazza dei Miracoli. Visits to the tower start at 8:30 AM, so you certainly won't be among the first wave of the day.

Worse case is probably the 9:06 train that arrives at Pisa Centrale at 9:25.

Can you all argue please over our plans? ;)

Basically to Florence by train, decide on-the-fly whether to call in at Pisa on the way back.

We'd be particularly grateful if anyone who knows their way round the trenitalia website can spare the time to check whether I've noted the train times correctly. :rolleyes:

Livorno thurs 16th May, ship in port 7am to 7pm, presuming back-on-board deadline of 6.30pm. Don't like ships' tours, have used european but not Italian trains from time to time. Not planning to climb the wobbly tower. Total plebs, not worried about going into museums so hopefully no involvement in lines, just want to wander, mebbe take a Florence ho-ho, happy to play it by ear.

Taxi (shared if we can) to Livorno station.

Direct train to Florence S M Novella at 08.12 (or 9.06), arrives 9.32 (or 10.32) If we aim for the 08.12 but miss it, an option of the 8.29, change at Pisa central & arrive Florence 10.00.

Up to 6 hours in Florence. Deadline of the 14.53 from Florence to Pisa centrale arrives 16.03. From the station 25 min walk to the leaning tower etc. Tick the box, mebbe a beer, walk back to the station for the 17.32, arrives Livorno 17.50. That gives us 90 minutes in Pisa. Fall-back, if we foul-up, of the 17.45 arrives Livorno 18.01

If while in Florence we decide to tarry longer & skip Pisa, take the 16.28 direct to Livorno, arrives 17.50. If folk think we'd be pushing our luck, the previous train is 15.28, arrives Livorno 16.48 Expensive fall-back if we foul-up, the 17.00 from Florence to Pisa arrives 17.49 then 30 mins by taxi to the ship.

Any pitfalls or other thoughts?

JB :)

We'd be particularly grateful if anyone who knows their way round the trenitalia website can spare the time to check whether I've noted the train times correctly.

Myself and the Trenitalia website are best buddies by now :D. Train times all look good. I think you have enough wiggle-room and options; and I have to say, in the week that we were riding trains, we had exactly 1 that was late, and that was ironically the fast-speed train between Torino and Florence.

Didn't do the messed-up engineering tower, but did do Florence. Forget the HOHO bus - it goes around the perimeter, all the stuff you want to see is in the centre with streets far too narrow for that size of vehicle to pass. Plan on lots of walking, with the odd foray onto the little electric city buses that pass thru that section of town if you want to save your legs. You can walk to everything from the train station. Make sure you have a good map, and just wander.

Archived