CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

The point is that I don't see any need in this picture. The people without passports should be subject to additional scrutiny like anyone else would be. They are not "special."

You are really arguing about technicalities. If these same people returned on the ship to Cape Canaveral they would have been let into the country with the birth certificates and ids allowed for closed loop cruises. The only difference is that (due to unusual circumstances) they will enter the country at an airport 45 miles from that cruise port. And because of that oddity in the law, you want to throw the book at them?

I do know that if a passport is lost or stolen while in transit, the person will not be denied entry, however they will go through extra screening and questioning to prove they are who they say they are and their story is verified. It's no different than getting on a domestic flight without ID. You'll be allowed on, but you'll be subject to additional screening. (I know, different agencies, just using it as an analogy.)

But they have id that is sufficient to enter the US under the special circumstance of a closed loop cruise, it is not as if they have no id.

:)

Even if I have not sailed CCL, I appreciate the competition they provide to RCCL and NCL... it challenges them to raise their game and keeps prices in check.

CCL seems especially good at attracting the younger and/or first time cruiser demographic and that helps the whole industry.

You have no argument from me. I believe there are a variety of cruiselines out there for a purpose. What is right for me may not be right for you but they are all out there to fill a need in the industry. Personally I would like to try as many cruiselines as I can. Right now the majority in our cruise history are CCL for various reasons they met our need on those vacations. But none of those reasons are because they are CCL:rolleyes:.

WKMG Local 6 in Orlando sent a reporter to St. Maarten today and is reporting that passengers are happy, and the ship is doing well in port.

They reported that Carnival flew in John Secada to perform on board tonight and passengers are free to get on/off all night. The passengers need to be back onboard by 6am.

They are having some issues with charter flights out of the airport - which Carnival is trying to solve with the airport.

Also, WKMG reported that the Carnival Legend out of Tampa is now having engine problems and is heading back to Tampa and skipping its last port.

You are really arguing about technicalities. If these same people returned on the ship to Cape Canaveral they would have been let into the country with the birth certificates and ids allowed for closed loop cruises. The only difference is that (due to unusual circumstances) they will enter the country at an airport 45 miles from that cruise port. And because of that oddity in the law, you want to throw the book at them?

But they have id that is sufficient to enter the US under the special circumstance of a closed loop cruise, it is not as if they have no id.

I think it is more anger at the fact that those people didn't have to spend $130 for a passport like he did and they still are coming home with no major issues. I goes against everything the passport proponents have been preaching for years with their dooms day prophesies.

I don't think jonbgd even noticed your cruise history has an overwhelming lack of CCL ships on it. It goes to show how the critics here think that anyone saying anything positive about CCL has to be a "cheerleader". I personally thank you for your unbiased input.

Im thinking you may need to follow the trail back from the arrows on each post to see I was respondong to RRAALL

I only show future cruise in my sigas I have too many to list (35+) and I dislike when I see a full page of criuises in a sig

But just for your information I was Platinum before Uncle Bob made us Platinum on CCL and in the last 14 months I have done 2 CCL/2RCCL/2 NCL cruises.

BTW Im doing the Epic for the second time this year

I would like to think my opinions when it comes to cruiselines as objective

not biased

Im thinking you may need to follow the trail back from the arrows on each post to see I was respondong to RRAALL

I only show future cruise in my sigas I have too many to list (35+) and I dislike when I see a full page of criuises in a sig

But just for your information I was Platinum before Uncle Bob made us Platinum on CCL and in the last 14 months I have done 2 CCL/2RCCL/2 NCL cruises.

not biased

I apologize....to many posts on this thread to follow every quote backwards and I was responding to what I saw was included in that post. I also have a mixed past and future when it comes to cruiselines, but that doesn't stop the "critics" from calling me a "cheerleader" when I don't automatically agree with their criticism. I really find that quite annoying and perhaps responded to hastily on the post because of this.

I think it is more anger at the fact that those people didn't have to spend $130 for a passport like he did and they still are coming home with no major issues. I goes against everything the passport proponents have been preaching for years with their dooms day prophesies.

One person flying into the country without a passport = problems.

Hundreds on a plane with no passport = no problems

Due to the attempted personification of Carnival, some think the company is their friend. They even talk to it as their friend.

Blame it on SCOTUS. They declared corporations to be people. :D

But seriously, I don't get that whole "I love Carnival." It's very much unrequited love (and that is tongue-in-check). Carnival has a product for sale. So far I've been happy with that product. Whether or not I continue to be happy with it remains to be seen. It may be folly, but tonight I made the final payment on our June Splendor cruise. I'm hoping to have an uneventful and fun, relaxing 8 days. Not 5 or 6 or 9 or 10. :rolleyes:

I was doing a lot of copy and paste work today. My wrist hurt and I mentioned it to a coworker. With all that has been happening on my mind, I said,"I hope I'm not getting Carnival Tunnel Syndrome." Without hesitation he asked, "Do you get that from rowing after the ship breaks down?"

I am not so sure about that. The reasons airlines make sure you have all valid documentation to enter the US is because if someone is turned back in the US, the airline has to fly the passenger back at their cost. The same should hold for a charter flight.

The charter operator has different obligations to it's passengers under various international laws.

Well I guess that would depend on the situation of that one passenger. But statistically it is not probable that I will ever find out....

I didn't say that. I said that they should undergo the same additional screening as anyone coming in on a plane from another country without a passport would. That's hardly "throwing the book at them." I just want our country to enforce it's laws equally for anyone flying in instead of giving special preferences because it's convenient to a corporation.

Not at all. I fly internationally to Europe. I need a passport. If I tried to enter the US by air without one, I'd expect additional screening, not special treatment.

If Carnival refunds your money BEFORE your cruise, the insurance is not going to give you a second refund on the cruise, however, if you bought the insurance through Carnival, you will probably also receive a refund on the insurance policy if the cruise is cancelled. As to airfare, that is completely dependent upon your specific travel insurance policy. Some do cover airfare, others only cover the cruise itself and medical emergencies that occur during the cruise - such as heli-medevac from the ship. If you bought a private travel insurance policy (i.e. not from Carnival) then if your cruise is cancelled your policy may or may not reimburse you for your airfare depending on what the policy says. If you airfare is not covered, one option would be for you to call the airline, explain the situation and most likely they would allow you to use the airfare as a credit towards future travel.

It should be a problem. There should be no bending of the law or special treatment that benefits a corporation. Why bother to have laws to begin with if they aren't going to be followed?

We're a family that has cruised Disney for the majority of our cruises (two short RCI cruises on Sovereign for dh and I and one short CCL for teen daughter and I on CCL-- Sensation I think-- out of PC and the atrium looks like Nar Shaada from Star Wars). Was thinking of booking the Dream. In fact, was going to book it today. When I saw the news feed I called dh at work and he said, "don't book, the price might go down!" I appreciate his sentiment, but think that since we're looking for a room for five and there are so few, fat chance.

That said, and I don't wish to minimize the distress of those on board Dream, or even Triumph-- we've been stranded in countries where we didn't speak the language (China due to freakish blizzard conditions and Kazakhstan--grrr) and were at the mercies of local officials, stuck in small town Morocco with a sick child and in a place with a squat toilet, no paper, no working hose, and bugs crawling out of said squat, threatened with bodily harm and immigration violations (we were legal) if we went out to buy food (Kazakhstan again). i think the current Dream situation is far better than having to eat horse meat every night (didn't even taste good)

This is a blip. If problems continue, I'll either switch CCL or look for something cheaper.

It should be a problem. There should be no bending of the law or special treatment that benefits a corporation. Why bother to have laws to begin with if they aren't going to be followed?

There is always bending of the law and special treatment to benefit corporations... Happens a lot. Takes some money

I apologize....to many posts on this thread to follow every quote backwards and I was responding to what I saw was included in that post. I also have a mixed past and future when it comes to cruiselines, but that doesn't stop the "critics" from calling me a "cheerleader" when I don't automatically agree with their criticism. I really find that quite annoying and perhaps responded to hastily on the post because of this.

No problem we are entitled to our opinions

I actually respect the opinions of others that have cruised on CCL and on other lines.

Its objective than subjective;)

I just wanted to make sure you Knew I have earned the right to be objective with CCL

Carnival Corp has a 9 AM EDT web cast (see the Carnival corp web site) to discuss latest quarterly financial report.

Somehow I suspect the topic of mechanical problems will come up.

I think they would be remiss if it's not mentioned. It would only lead to further speculation and shareholder jitters.

not biased

Yes, jonbgd was responding to RRAALL, and I was responding to jonbgd's comment about RRAALL. It is my fault for not being clear about it. :o

I do not care for extreme hyperbole and snarky comments whether pro-CCL or anti-CCL.

I also have sigs turned off to save space so don't normally notice whether a poster has sailed a given line or not. But I notice plenty of quality posts on CC regardless. :)

That's about right, though I would add the qualification that the hundreds flying without passports are doing so involuntarily.

Archived