CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

[quote name='ready2cruzagain'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkorange]Thanks! Now my computer screen is covered in coffee! LMAO! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote]

I asked this question yesterday and the letter got taken off the website, not sure why that happened but as I am cruising with John Heald on the Legend with him as cruise director I have to ask why some writers on cruisecritic.com seem to have such dislike for him. Should I be worried?

[quote name='Cruizinman']The thing is can the other ports /terminals handle a ship the size of the Dream.[/QUOTE]

Yes. 6 is designed for the Oasis size ships and 3/4 which is 2 separate terminals and piers have handled CCL ship in the past. Disneys Dream and Fantasy were using 3 or 4 after they were brought home from Germany before there official inaugurals and there almost the same size and weight as the Carnival Dream.

This is from Carnival Facebook Page

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue which our engineering team is currently working on. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. At no time did the ship lose power but there were periodic interruptions to elevators and toilets for a few hours last night. However at this time all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am. The ship has full power but is still at dock while personnel continue to work on the technical issue. The Carnival Dream was on a seven-day cruise and is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/Carnival[/URL]

[quote name='kybluecruiser']So you know that it is the gospel truth that this issue today is a direct result of "cutbacks". I'm assuming that you have already spoken to the chief engineer and know that the issue is a result of lack of oversight due to "cutbacks"[/QUOTE]

I can only go on my past experience. This company has cheapened it cruises for years now. Its been discussed ad nauseam for the last few years on this board. If Carnival is cutting back and getting away with it in the MDR, on the lido deck, with their shows there is no reason to assume they aren't doing the same with their maintenance and in fact, the recent spate of failures and mistakes which are well documented seems to indicate maintenance of their ships and concern for their passengers are not of primary importance. On the face if it, that makes no sense but if you continue to get away with it, why wouldn't you? We're making tons of money, nobody seems to care about the quality of our cruises so lets keep pushing the envelope.

We all discussed this with the Triumph fire and here we go again. What more evidence do you need?

[quote name='Boston Bill']I asked this question yesterday and the letter got taken off the website, not sure why that happened but as I am cruising with John Heald on the Legend with him as cruise director I have to ask why some writers on cruisecritic.com seem to have such dislike for him. Should I be worried?[/quote]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkorange]I have nothing against JH but found this statement to be funny. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff8c00][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff8c00]I believe that JH passes on information that is given to him without checking it out and therefore he is the brunt of all things he posts that is wrong.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff8c00]Several times JH has posted things that has been totally wrong. And some think that because JH has stated it that it is gospel and later we find out different.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff8c00]At least he made some sort of statement.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='CrusinCyndi']Seems like the smaller ships that Carnival has have way less problems....Which is good cause I love their smaller ships.[/quote]

Wow Carnival can't seem to catch a break. Imagine the things that happen that aren't even reported to the media such as the two deaths on separate Carnival ships during school vacation week in February. We were on one of those ships and happened to find out about the second when we googled for information.

[quote name='MrPete']I don't think anyone will be contacting us directly to verify this is happening. What makes anyone suspicious when someone reports an incident?[/QUOTE]

It is the MEDIA that I don't trust ... and the trolls that have been known to feed the media.

It does, however, look that this is a legitimate issue. So sad for those passengers ... for future cruisers (like me) and for Carnival as well.

Ugh.......Crud........
We haven't booked anything for this year yet, but was looking around yesterday.
I am sort of paranoid now....not pleasant to wake up to this latest problem!
Looking for a Halloween &/or Feb Girlfriend Getaway in February 2014.
One GF is a newbie and a bit skiddish....wish me luck getting her on board now!

I hope everyone on the Sunday (hopefully) Dream cruise who is not from the area can arrange for overnight accommodations on Saturday night. Also, do you think the passengers who miss their flights home will be compensated (yet another great reason to have trip insurance).

RE: Trip Insurance

If this continues we won't be able to afford insurance when sailing on Carnival!

Insurance Statisticians will see Carnival as the line and add $$$ to quote! Ugh...

I had really soured on CCL the past couple of years but now I think it is time ti simply say goodby. The same old ports and the same old tired ships are getting to be too much to deal with.

The costs is not really an issue so I must explore other lines, until they start having regular breakdowns.

There was a CNN post yesterday that Carnival was going to inspect all of their ships. Does this mean that they don't normally inspect them? Maybe that's the reason that they have so many problems in the last several years.

I asked this question yesterday and the letter got taken off the website, not sure why that happened but as I am cruising with John Heald on the Legend with him as cruise director I have to ask why some writers on cruisecritic.com seem to have such dislike for him. Should I be worried?

No. We had John Heald on the Carnival Freedom. Out of our 9 cruises, he is the only CD that I can remember. He has a sense of humor that not everyone gets. Most on our cruise found him hilarious. I thought he was the best CD we have had.

As for Dream....I hope for all passengers on-board that this will be resolved quickly and that they will be headed home soon. It sounds like the issue with the elevators and toilets has been fixed so I hope they are enjoying a beautiful sea day in port. That's what I would be doing :D.

There would be no reason to report it to the Coast Guard. They are in port in St. Maarten. The Coast Guard would only help if they are at sea.

The reason I made the remark regarding the Coast Guard:

Below is an excerpt from the CNN article (below) that started this whole thread (the first posting included a link to the news story).

".... The U.S. Coast Guard said there were no reports of an incident, adding cruise lines typically give a courtesy call even when they're experiencing minor problems."

Carnival obviously isn't properly maintaining their ships. Either that or there are problems in manufacturing. Way too many (similar) issues as of late to merely be coincidence. Especially when we don't hear of all these problems from competing lines.

One way to save money and keep operating costs low is to defer maintenance. This is a highly risky way for any business to operate. You are playing roulette every time you get on a Carnival ship. I won't be booking any more Carnival cruises (our last was in 2011) until they change their method of operations. It is okay to be a low cost provider. But there are better ways of doing it than to defer maintenance.

I feel sorry the the crew.:eek:

I know some passengers take their frustations out on the crew when problems arise on a ship, like it's their fault. I've witnessed it.:mad:

i work for a major airline and get cursed out and hollered at all the time when there's a maintenance delay.:confused:

So, I hope the crew keep their heads up. They're the ones who are on the front line and have to deal with not only the cleaning, but frustrated passengers.

Archived