CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

FLAME SUIT ON

Not a Carnival cheerleader, only sailed one Carnival Cruise; but I just love how every time something happens on any cruise ship a ton of posters on CC begin to speak in "fact" as if they are on the board of directors or in some other way are privy to the financial books, operational plans, business plans etc, of that cruise line and immediately talk about the cuts in cost of maintenance etc. Please to all those posters, if you are a member of the board, maintenance supervisor or in any other way a person with direct knowledge, please identify your self so that we as readers can make a better decision on whether or not your post are correct. Until then just remember: SHIP HAPPENS!! Happy Cruising :D

I don't totally disagree with you but you cannot deny Carnival has a disproportionate number of occurances. I seem to remember a small blip of someone new in the maintenance department...hopefully it will make a difference.

It was just on fox news ,,backup generator is not working ,the dream has no power.

The coast guard has verified they never lost power. All hotel functions have been working since 1230. They did say they are working on the backup generator but have full power.

When we were on Dream in the beginning of Jan. this year, they had problems with no water on decks 10, 11, 12 for most of one evening. That means no toilets, too. Luckily we were on deck 9 with no problems.

Wow, the buzzards are circling again. Hard to get a post in here before there are two more pages!

Let me repeat my credentials as a former cruise ship Chief Engineer with nearly 40 years of total seagoing time.

1. USCG would not normally be notified unless the problem related to propulsion or safe navigation; see my previous post. They would get notified if the arrival time was delayed, as all ship arrivals in US waters are required to be tracked, and notification made 48 hours in advance.

2. Vacuum toilets will only overflow if people who have used them continue to press the flush button after the first attempt to flush fails. To all cruisers out there: one push only, please. Further pushes on the button will only add water to the toilet, but the discharge valve (what makes the dirty go away) will not open. This causes the toilet to overflow, and deposit your deposit on the deck.

3. Do not compare this with the Triumph or Splendor. There was never any fire or loss of power.

4. Everyone is guessing right about letting the guests ashore. Carnival is trying to only tick off the current cruisers, and not the next cruise, by keeping the guests where they can sail immediately when the Chief says the problem is fixed. Is this right? Is this good PR? That's a decision that will need to pass the test of time.

5. To my thinking, they are right to delay at port until all problems are corrected, to prevent a POSSIBLE Triumph-like loss of power.

6. Is this indicative of poor maintenance? Maybe. The real driving force will be Carnival's insurance rates. The more they have to pay out, the more pressure from the other shipping companies in their P&I club to fix things and force the underwriters to more thoroughly inspect the vessels. I know the pressure of the cruise industry to have a "zero down time" product, meaning that everything must work 100% of the time. This results in massive redundancies of equipment and spare parts, and sometimes near super-human effort by those behind the scenes of your cruise to keep things working, even when the problem is not caused by poor maintenance, but by passengers flushing hand towels down the toilets.

7. Am I cheerleading for Carnival? No. Personally, I would not cruise a Carnival ship, I only started posting on CC after the Triumph, to try to shed some light on the technical aspects of the industry. I do enjoy cruising (probably one of the very few who have worked the ships that like coming back on their time off). Does Carnival have a problem? You bet. The negative PR is going to cost them plenty. Does this happen to other ships? You bet. Mostly it is not reported on, as the crew will work to keep it from impacting the guests.

8. Does this impact the movement for US flag, US crew cruise ships? I hope so, but I doubt it. Too many people are not willing to vote with their feet, and don't consider expanding their "support local" lifestyle to shipping.

Enough rant. Fire away.

I made a running list of all the things I was going to bring with us on our Carnival Splendor cruise this June as a "just in case". This was based on the Triumph threads and what people said they wished they had, etc.

In the month since the Triumph incident, I had started to think that I was being too crazy and no such actions are necessary. But now! I think I will bring it all!!!!

I am not one to normally worry about these things. I wasn't planning on cancelling our cruise because of Triumph. (We are booked 2 rooms with Easy Saver and 1 room with Past Guest.) But I am bringing both my mother and my mother-in-law and my sister and niece on this cruise to celebrate my daughter's H.S. graduation. I kind of worry for them. I am thinking about taking the hit and cancelling the Splendor and booking a condo at Atlantis. I am paying WAY TOO MUCH money for this cruise for all of us for things to go wrong.

Maggie

The harbor at St Maarten is now crowded with 5 ships. Carnival Dream, RCCL Freedom of the Seas, Holland America Westerdam and Celebrity Summit. All those ships are at the dock. Holland America Noordam is moored off shore perhaps because there's no more dock space and perhaps they are tendering passengers to shore.

That's not true. All ships are docked!

FLAME SUIT ON

Not a Carnival cheerleader, only sailed one Carnival Cruise; but I just love how every time something happens on any cruise ship a ton of posters on CC begin to speak in "fact" as if they are on the board of directors or in some other way are privy to the financial books, operational plans, business plans etc, of that cruise line and immediately talk about the cuts in cost of maintenance etc. Please to all those posters, if you are a member of the board, maintenance supervisor or in any other way a person with direct knowledge, please identify your self so that we as readers can make a better decision on whether or not your post are correct. Until then just remember: SHIP HAPPENS!! Happy Cruising :D

Thank you for expressing my thoughts for me.... I just love how so many "know" what Carnival's problem is and what caused it. Especially when Carnival is still trying to figure out the problem is and fix it. Stuff happens...that's life. I'm more concerned with how they handle things when life happens....personally if I were on the Dream, I'd be happy they are taking the time to try to fix it before taking me out into ocean with a broken ship ;). So we get a few extra days on a ship, I think I could handle that. We always try to build in a few extra days before/after at the port city anyways. Helps eliminate the stress of hurry up and get there and hurry up and get home. Seems it would be nice in this type of situation too:D.

It was just on fox news ,,backup generator is not working ,the dream has no power.

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT FOX REPORTED!!! Fox reported that the ship's captain had notified the US Coast Guard that the "back up generator" that would be used for propulsion was not working! THE BACK UP GENERATOR. The Cruise ship has full power they didn't want to go to sea with a non functioning back up generator.

How smart would it be to cruise back at full speed, for two days, after mechanical problems?

(at least I would hope they wouldn't risk it. Who knows...LOL)

Ah!

Now there's a guy who knows and understands Systems -and Engines. ;)

They'll probably get back to home port "at a leisurely pace" :)

not because they want to, but because they have to

...as in can't do more than 10 kts. max. lest they go adrift somewhere in the Bahamas!

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT FOX REPORTED!!! Fox reported that the ship's captain had notified the US Coast Guard that the "back up generator" that would be used for propulsion was not working! THE BACK UP GENERATOR. The Cruise ship has full power they didn't want to go to sea with a non functioning back up generator.

They are making the right call. Question...What power does the backup generator provide in an emergency on a ship?

Reading and listening comprehension has never been a strong suit on CC.:cool:

Carnival Cruise Lines has posted an announcement about it on their FB page, and here is a genius comment someone made:

"Get your facts folks. They are docked, but NOT allowed off the ship!!! Also Carnival owns Royal Caribbean and 75% of all cruise ships."

I LOLed. I love how the person saying "get your facts" is totally wrong.

Carnival does not own royal carribean

Now that makes more sense. Considering the Triumph, I think that they made a good decision to fix the problem before heading out to sea.

If that is the case, it seems like Carnival is just trying to be proactive?? Maybe after Triumph they are just being extra careful.

That changes things a little for me. I'm not quite as worried about my June cruise now.

Maggie

Archived