CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

... and if they are able to quickly (and permanently) fix the problem, bringing the ship back to Pt. Canaveral on Sunday - they use the same terminal where the Freedom of the Seas docks on Sundays. The Sensation comes in on Sunday as well... hmmm

Tom

There's at least 2 more terminals that can be used if needed. The new terminal 6 is open and there terminal 3 or 4 which can handle large ships. Disneys Dream, Fantasy, and Magic have all used 3/4 while another DCL ship in terminal 8. I know at least 1 of if not both 3/4 can handle the Dream. Carnival used it for a while before 6 opened.

I just booked the Dream for July. Hope I didn't make a mistake. Hope the problem is fixed by then and the ship is completely booked. I booked this cruise partially because it was much less expensive than the other cruises we were considering. Now I know why.

At least now they have something showing on the big screen by the pool. About an hour ago it was a green screen. It also looks like more people have come out to sit by the pool as well. (Yes, the ship's webcam is updating on a regular basis.)

There's at least 2 more terminals that can be used if needed. The new terminal 6 is open and there terminal 3 or 4 which can handle large ships. Disneys Dream, Fantasy, and Magic have all used 3/4 while another DCL ship in terminal 8. I know at least 1 of if not both 3/4 can handle the Dream. Carnival used it for a while before 6 opened.

Ah yes - the new terminal. I was envisioning the smaller ones down channel!

Thanks,

Tom

As noted in one of the "news" articles, the USCG usually gets a "courtesy" notification of a problem. That would be a problem with the propulsion or power generation (safety of navigation). If the local coast guard is okay with the ship sailing from their port, then the ship would notify the USCG if the problem was still present when entering US waters.

The USCG would not normally be notified for loss of elevators or loss of flushing toilets.

We are booked on the Dream for this Saturday. I just contacted Carnival and they said the issue they are having will not affect that sailing.....Interesting they know that since it is still in port.

Sounds like 1-800-CARNIVAL ;)

Tom

We are booked on the Dream for this Saturday. I just contacted Carnival and they said the issue they are having will not affect that sailing.....Interesting they know that since it is still in port.

I would be willing to place a wager on the fact that what you were told is incorrect. Remember, the phone agents most times have fewer facts than we do. Or, in many cases, are told to give intentional misinformation.

Hopefully, they don't start pulling all their ships out one at a time to check them... Actually that would be a good thing for safety, a bad thing for their sales which could make them increase pricing to make up for the losses. Oh well....

Its the one thing they should do. It would send a message that Carnival is serious about safety and the well being of their ships instead of caring mainly about cutting corners and costs to maximize their profit at the expense of their ships and passengers.

We had decided in 2011 that we were going to stay away from Carnival due to the obvious cost cutting and cutting of corners. All that cheapness has come home to roost in a manner I hadn't considered. I thought they were just cheapening their cruises while trying to keep the prices down. Its apparent now that they're putting the safety and well being of the thousands of passengers who sail with them every day. It'll be a long while before I ever consider going back to Carnival and until massive amounts of people start talking with their feet and their wallets, this nonsense will continue.

Whoever you talked to must have failed basic algebra. Your sailing will be affected. How much it will be affected will depend on when the ship finally leaves port.

Has to do with that "announce as late as possible" due to that change of itinerary/full refund clause. I am of the mindset that the closer to sailing most won't change, or can't change their plans, especially if en route.

I would always choose the full refund, though, cause these altered cruises (and nothing says this one will be altered), it seems to bring out some with fire, brimstone, pitchforks, and torches.

And certainly makes for interesting reading.

Originally Posted by mynupasttime at 6:02am

Hello from Dream. I am on roll call for march 9 cruise and on board now. We were to leave St Martin at 5 yesterday and now at 3 am, we are still here in port. At first, no toilets or elevators. Those back on but "mechanical " issues. No updates since 9 pm. We are supposed to be at sea today and Friday to make it back to Canaveral by Sat morning. As a fellow cruise critic member and know how excited I was this week last time, and have friends boarding this sat also, thought you guys may want to keep an eye out on carnival site and webcam to see if we are moving. We are more than 10 hrs behind schedule at this point.

Will try and update when things change.

Wendy from NC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1605583&page=53 post #1042

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']Ah yes - the new terminal. I was envisioning the smaller ones down channel!

Thanks,

Tom[/QUOTE]

Welcome. If I hadn't gone over to the port at the end of last year I never would have known it was open. We saw the Ecstacy leave from there. It looks leaps and bounds over the other terminals. According to the port there are plans in place for when there are more then 1 CCL ship in this port. CCL and RCL shuffled there ships around between the 3 terminals.

[quote name='nbsjcruiser']Its the one thing they should do. It would send a message that Carnival is serious about safety and the well being of their ships instead of caring mainly about cutting corners and costs to maximize their profit at the expense of their ships and passengers.

We had decided in 2011 that we were going to stay away from Carnival due to the obvious cost cutting and cutting of corners. All that cheapness has come home to roost in a manner I hadn't considered. I thought they were just cheapening their cruises while trying to keep the prices down. Its apparent now that they're putting the safety and well being of the thousands of passengers who sail with them every day. It'll be a long while before I ever consider going back to Carnival and until massive amounts of people start talking with their feet and their wallets, this nonsense will continue.[/QUOTE]

So you know that it is the gospel truth that this issue today is a direct result of "cutbacks". I'm assuming that you have already spoken to the chief engineer and know that the issue is a result of lack of oversight due to "cutbacks"

Archived