FLL Customs-should I worry??

refted

Was anyone on the Euro last week? If so, how was the Customs line at Port Everglades? We have an 11:10am flight out of FLL on Saturday the 30th and our TA cannot change it due to booked flights b/c of the Holiday week.

Was anyone on the Euro last week? If so, how was the Customs line at Port Everglades? We have an 11:10am flight out of FLL on Saturday the 30th and our TA cannot change it due to booked flights b/c of the Holiday week.

........have a problem, I repeat you MIGHT have a problem. I hope not, but from reports coming in the last few weeks.......an 11:15 flight might be chancing it:(

So many reports/reviews in the last few weeks have stated that the Customs line is horrendous and long long waits to go through, some taking more than 2 and 1/2 hours Once they are allowed to get off the ship:eek:

Just last week I listened in on a bridge conversation between 2 of the NCL (I think they were NCL) ships bridges and they were saying that there have been times very recently that it has taken 5+ hours to clear their ships:( And yes, they stated that it was due to customs taking extremely long to clear not only the passenger, but also the crews...........

I hope you do not have the problem but....

Joanie

Yes, you should worry. I would make the cruise line aware of your flight, and then the night before embarkation go down to guest services and make them aware. Then make your cabin steward aware. Cover all possible bases. Do self disembark and be ready to haul a$$ as fast as you can. The good news is that it's right near the airport.

Best thing to do is ask for priority disembarkation and carry your luggage off. That will get you the best chance of making it through Customs/Border Patrol. The problem is that last time we were in Ft. Lauderdale, it took us 45+ minutes just to get through TSA at the airport also.

A prayer would also be wise, as well as a back up plan as I would never suggest someone take that early a flight with current immigration and TSA staffing levels.

Good luck and have a great cruise!!

........have a problem, I repeat you MIGHT have a problem. I hope not, but from reports coming in the last few weeks.......an 11:15 flight might be chancing it:(

So many reports/reviews in the last few weeks have stated that the Customs line is horrendous and long long waits to go through, some taking more than 2 and 1/2 hours Once they are allowed to get off the ship:eek:

Just last week I listened in on a bridge conversation between 2 of the NCL (I think they were NCL) ships bridges and they were saying that there have been times very recently that it has taken 5+ hours to clear their ships:( And yes, they stated that it was due to customs taking extremely long to clear not only the passenger, but also the crews...........

I hope you do not have the problem but....

Joanie

Joanie, I think those were Sundays but not 100% sure

We had a 12:20 flight out of Miami last saturday(16th) and got there no problem. We sent the bags out the night before and found them in the luggage area very quickly and the customs line was very quick. Mind you, we were in the non-us citizen line. If you're worried change it though. You wouldn't want to ruin your trip worrying all week.

Not another problem for my cruise, since I'm Canadian I guess it could take a lot longer and they would prioritize people from US and have perhaps only 1 agent for people from Canada, lucky for us we have a flight at 8:35PM on April 22nd, should I be worried that I could miss it, because I'll have first the customs at the pier to clear then the ones at the airport... I was just recovering about horror stories abour norro and now this...

Not another problem for my cruise, since I'm Canadian I guess it could take a lot longer and they would prioritize people from US and have perhaps only 1 agent for people from Canada, lucky for us we have a flight at 8:35PM on April 22nd, should I be worried that I could miss it, because I'll have first the customs at the pier to clear then the ones at the airport... I was just recovering about horror stories abour norro and now this...

Being a Canadian isn't a major problem but going in the all others line may be. Those who enter the U.S. on an I=94W have to have their photos and fingerprints taken. my be streamlined now but still adds seconds.

No formalities departing the U.S. except for security. There will be a check on your travel documents at the airport at which you leave the U.S. but that doesn't take long (done by the airline's agents who stamp your boarding pass). 2035 departure should be more than adequate time.

Sail: Yes we can self-disembark and carry our own luggage (early 50's still in good shape LOL).

Seago2: when should we notify HAL? On board or now?

Backup plan is to rent a car from FLL to Philly cause they want $150 per person change fee plus about $650 per for the airfare (!!!!!)

I watched a report on the news yesterday of 2 hour lines getting thru security at the airport. They did not say which airport but it is becoming much more of a problem.

So you not only have to worry about the ship but the airport also.

Backup plan is to rent a car from FLL to Philly cause they want $150 per person change fee plus about $650 per for the airfare (!!!!!)

Sounds Like US Airways to me! Talk to your travel agent about changing your return flight after you fly down. You only get charged on the change in the airfare for that portion. There will still be the $150 change fee. Your other alternative is to stay a day in FLL if you can. The early morning flight out is significantly less expensive.

Sail: Yes we can self-disembark and carry our own luggage (early 50's still in good shape LOL).

That's what we would do.

We were on the Allure last year. Took us 3 hrs to get out of the cruise terminal.

Never again, self-disembarkation all the way next time.

I would notify HAL six ways to Sunday. Give a call, let them know at check in, let guest services know, tick it off on your debark card the day before, let your cabin steward know. You never know who can help you.

Very early in your cruise, you will receive a form requesting your onward travel plans. On that form, you should indicate you have an early flight, request self-debark and you will be in the first group to leave. The first group to leave obviously does not get at the end of a long CBP line...... there won't be anyone but your group in the terminal with you.

But, FLL airport can also be slow clearing security depending how many ships are in.

From all we have read here, you are cutting it close.

You certainly might make it but no guarantees...... sadly.

The cruise lines all say to not book a flight before 12 noon but many have made earlier flights in the past. Seems that is not likely these days.

Good luck.

First of all, I would not be aware of any problems without the postings on this forum. So I feel like I am much better prepared than I would have been otherwise. My TA should not have booked before noon according to HAL but that's over now.

Thank you all for your experience and advice. I'll keep everyone posted so future Cruisers can be more prepared.

First of all, I would not be aware of any problems without the postings on this forum. So I feel like I am much better prepared than I would have been otherwise. My TA should not have booked before noon according to HAL but that's over now.

Thank you all for your experience and advice. I'll keep everyone posted so future Cruisers can be more prepared.

Thanks very much - it's so helpful when someone returns and lets us know how they made out. That way we all learn. Fingers crossed for you!

Where can I find out what ships will be in May 3?

For Fort Lauderdale? none of these sites are perfect but this one is relatively reliable for Port Everglades - http://ports.cruisett.com/ Looks like the Maasdam is the only cruise ship in:D

Once you are 7 days out you can double check with the port website here

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

hope this helps a bit:)

As I posted on another thread, on March 18th, we were delayed in the non-US customs line for 2 hours. We were supposed to be an early departure but were delayed to 9:30. We missed our 11:28 United flight out of FLL to IAH. Thankfully, the United agent booked us on an Air Canada flight out of Miami later in the day but we had to get ourselves there on our own.

On this cruise there were about 1500 Americans and 300 Canadians and others. Priority was given to the handicapped and the Americans sailed through customs. There was still a long line of Canadians by the time we got through and we weren't the only ones to miss a flight.

While we had a wonderful relaxing cruise, this experience was stressful and put a damper on an otherwise nice vacation.

We were off the Eurodam last Saturday and lines were practically non-existent. Our group (all from Ontario)got off at different times - one group at 7:15, another 4 around 8 a.m. and us at 9 a.m. We rolled our own luggage off and no lines at the non US side, more at the US side. Can't speak for the airport as we stayed another day.

As for the code orange all week, it was a minor inconvenience. Having to be served everything meant that all my clothes still fit by the end of the week! I did get tired of the hand sanitizer though. We all had a fantastic time - great ship.

Why don't you just rent a car to drive to the Miami airport or even Tampa, instead of all the way to Philly? And isn't there a limousine service from FLL to Miami? I don't understand why the $150 change fee plus the airfare. What happens to the airfare that you have already paid?

Archived