Has Anyone ever traveled without a passport???

BrittneyLP

Sorry trying to figure out how to reply to this post lol. Yes we've never had a passport and went on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. As long as your BC is valid and not a copy your fine. As long as you Start in the US and return in the US your 100% fine. They don't check your ID when you get off to ports. Only when arriving to the cruise and checking in. Hope this answers your question! Enjoy your cruise you'll be fine!!!

Legally, for US citizens, on a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port), the minimum requirement for cruising is a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over ) a government issued photo ID.

That being said, there are cruise lines that require a passport for all cruises, regardless of the law. And some countries may require a passport. You'd have to check if the countries you are visiting will require a passport. If so, they won't let you board the ship without one. Also check with your cruise line if they are REQUIRING a passport, or just SUGGESTING it.

If you are not required to have a passport to board, then all you need in ports is the ship's card and the photo ID to reboard the ship after you visit.

Sorry trying to figure out how to reply to this post lol. Yes we've never had a passport and went on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. As long as your BC is valid and not a copy your fine. As long as you Start in the US and return in the US your 100% fine. They don't check your ID when you get off to ports. Only when arriving to the cruise and checking in. Hope this answers your question! Enjoy your cruise you'll be fine!!!

We are going on NCL - to Nassa, Tortola, and St. Thomas.

So it sounds to me like it does apply for NCL that BC & Drivers License will work Thank you very much I just want to triple confirm. So excited and looking forward to the cruise and especially excited for the couple who can't afford the passport - first time on a cruise and they have wanted to go on one for a long time. Of course the BC has the maiden not married name on it but I assume that works since it is very common I would think.

Of course the BC has the maiden not married name on it but I assume that works since it is very common I would think.

You might want to bring the marriage license, which is the "bridging document" between the two. They may or may not ask for it, but better safe than sorry.

American tourists use birth certificates and driving licenses.

American travelers carry passports - like everyone else.

+1

Instead of checking with CCers who may or may not have the most up-to-date nd accurate information, check with the cruise line AND the actual US government department which handles document checks at boarding...

Regarding that maiden name on the birth certificate. It may indeed be a problem - do not just assume. The "bridge" document previously mentioned may be needed to prove the name change is legal and accurate. Again, check the the proper authorities...

Understand that your family is going the "booze cruise" in the Caribbean - please be sure to have all your ducks in a row. As for the comment that shore time is so brief that an accident that will cause you to miss your ship and have to fly home - ask me about shattering my leg my 1st day of a vacation out of the country...

Edited by slidergirl

Guest maddycat

Did anyone else notice that this thread was started in March of 2013?

To the OP, your daughter should definitely bring an official copy of her marriage license.

Did anyone else notice that this thread was started in March of 2013?

To the OP, your daughter should definitely bring an official copy of her marriage license.

Yes, but the question is still valid. And the original poster (who started the thread) is apparently still monitoring it, as she responded to the question posted yesterday.