Has Anyone ever traveled without a passport???

BrittneyLP

Hope you never have an emergency which requires you to fly home. Last thing one would need on top of the emergency/illness/accident is to have to cope with trying to get temporary travel documents that would enable you to fly internationally. One would think proper prior planning would prevent added stress if you have a passport in advance.

JMO.....

I am sure cb at sea, as a veteran cruiser, has weighed all the risks and costs involved and made the decision that is best for them and their travel needs. They don't need your lectures on proper prior planning...JMO

Some people cannot get a passport because of old child support fees like from 35 years ago.

If that person now has cash to travel, why not pay the past child support? No matter how old the responsibility, it is never too late to pay.

sail7seas

Hope you never have an emergency which requires you to fly home. Last thing one would need on top of the emergency/illness/accident is to have to cope with trying to get temporary travel documents that would enable you to fly internationally. One would think proper prior planning would prevent added stress if you have a passport in advance.

JMO.....

I am sure cb at sea, as a veteran cruiser, has weighed all the risks and costs involved and made the decision that is best for them and their travel needs. They don't need your lectures on proper prior planning...JMO

We both ended our posts with "JMO" so we each acknowledge what we write is 'just my opinion' and it certainly can and does vary from others' opinion. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Please start your own thread for this question. It is considered "off topic" to insert an unrelated question like this in an existing thread. You can do this by going to the "Ask a Cruise Question" page, and clicking the "New Thread" button near the top of the page. Thanks.[/quote

I must have hit a wrong button unintentionally. Would that I could erase it and start over. That's the wonderful thing about CC forums, there is always someone quick to assert themselves and correct an errant jerk like me.:o

I've asked this many times, but I'm still paranoid....I have my Certified birth certificate. That is acceptable form right? Has anyone else traveled with just their birth certificate...Have they experienced any issues at debarkation??? :confused:

Yes, on our first cruise, my husband and I traveled with just our birth certificates. The only small snag I experienced was that my bc has my maiden name on it, obviously, and my driver's license has only my married name. There was a small discussion about that, and then I was okay'd to board.

I have since gotten a passport because I don't want to be limited to closed loop Caribbean cruises, and because I need it to go to Canada. If you have only your married name on your photo ID, it would be a good idea to take a copy of your marriage certificate, probably, just to avoid the "your name doesn't match" discussion that could come up when you try to board.

One needs to be cautious if they want to travel without a Passport. That being said, if you are simply taking a closed-loop Caribbean cruise (the typical cruise of no more then 2 weeks in length) you will probably be OK as long as your Birth Certificate meets the requirements of whoever happens to review your documents. And that is the rub,,,because of you happen to get a person at your port of departure who does not think your Birth Certificate meets requirements....you will be left sitting on the dock watching your ship sail away. And you will lose all the money you paid for the cruise plus you will have to get home at your own expense.

As to the definition of a closed-loop cruise (i.e. begins and ends at the same port) keep in mind that each country on your visit must not require a Passport. And even the US does not always follow its own rules. Last year we did a 62 day cruise that did begin and end at Port Everglades. Now that cruise visited 13 countries and 31 ports so everyone did need a Passport. But technically, we would not have needed a Passport to re-enter the USA. But don't you believe it! The CBP folks were very thorough in requiring us to present and have our Passports carefully checked when we returned home. It might have been fun if we had demanded they let us in without a Passport :)

Keep in mind that even if you follow all the rules, you can find yourself in a bad situation if you have a family or personal emergency that requires you to get home during your cruise....or if you would even need to be hospitalized somewhere along the way. In both cases you would first have to obtain a Passport before you can come back to the US...and this is not always easy when you are in a hurry.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If that person now has cash to travel, why not pay the past child support? No matter how old the responsibility, it is never too late to pay.

So true, and if they don't pay, once they start to collect social security, they will see half their monthly payment go to cover past child support. It's like taxes; it never goes away!

One needs to be cautious if they want to travel without a Passport. That being said, if you are simply taking a closed-loop Caribbean cruise (the typical cruise of no more then 2 weeks in length) you will probably be OK as long as your Birth Certificate meets the requirements of whoever happens to review your documents. And that is the rub,,,because of you happen to get a person at your port of departure who does not think your Birth Certificate meets requirements....you will be left sitting on the dock watching your ship sail away. And you will lose all the money you paid for the cruise plus you will have to get home at your own expense.

As to the definition of a closed-loop cruise (i.e. begins and ends at the same port) keep in mind that each country on your visit must not require a Passport. And even the US does not always follow its own rules. Last year we did a 62 day cruise that did begin and end at Port Everglades. Now that cruise visited 13 countries and 31 ports so everyone did need a Passport. But technically, we would not have needed a Passport to re-enter the USA. But don't you believe it! The CBP folks were very thorough in requiring us to present and have our Passports carefully checked when we returned home. It might have been fun if we had demanded they let us in without a Passport :)

This is an exaggeration.

The BC requirements are not arbitrary, they are fixed by regulation. It is not at the whim of the person who looks at your documents.

The closed loop exception does not apply if your 62 day cruise went outside the western hemisphere so not sure what that proves. Either a passport is required or it is not. CBP has no power to arbitrarily impose a passport requirement on a US citizen already on US soil to enter the country.

Edited by dwjoe

This is an exaggeration.

The BC requirements are not arbitrary, they are fixed by regulation. It is not at the whim of the person who looks at your documents.

The closed loop exception does not apply if your 62 day cruise went outside the western hemisphere so not sure what that proves. Either a passport is required or it is not. CBP has no power to arbitrarily impose a passport requirement on a US citizen already on US soil to enter the country.

LOL, Bingo! My post was a bit tongue in cheek and reacting to some of the other posts. The actual US Requirements go something like this:

Q: What is the definition of closed loop in the context of modified processing of cruise passengers?

A: Closed-loop cruises are defined as U.S. based cruises with itineraries that both originate and terminate in the United States, returning from contiguous territories or adjacent islands.

Q: What does contiguous territories or adjacent islands mean?

A: Contiguous Territories are any country sharing a common boundary with the United States. Canada and Mexico are contiguous to the United States.

Adjacent Islands as follows: Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Marie-Galantine, Martinique, Miquelon, Montserrat, Saba, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Christopher, Saint Eustatius, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Maarten, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, and other British, French and Netherlands territory or possessions bordering on the Caribbean Sea.

Personally, having traveled to more then 100 countries (both on lots of cruises and also land trips) it would never occur to us to ever leave the US without carrying a Passport. But we do understand the reluctance of some folks to spend the money on a Passport if they are simply going to the Caribbean. As to those with unpaid child support who cannot obtain a Passport, as a step-father we have no sympathy and think these folks should be made to eat gruel and live in a hovel until they meet their obligations to their children :)

Hank

We have done it 9 times in the last 12 years with absolutely NO issues either at the ports or at debarkation. You need to be a US Citizen. You need your certified BC and government issued photo ID (for those 16 and older) and your cruise needs to be closed loop to/from a US port.

Many will try to give you horrible "what if" scenarios that you won't get back to the US without it. The truth is the chances that you would have one of those scenarios is extremely small during the brief time you are in a foreign port on a closed loop cruise and it is not impossible to get an emergency passport. You will not be left stranded in a foreign port. It is up to you to access your own level of risk taking vs the value of having a passport.

Note that this LIMITS you in your choice of "cruises"..

DW and I consider international travel as including over 100 more countries than this would include!

Cruises include Europe, and many countries; sorry we missed asia (Were in China for Christmas with DD one year, and went with her to obtain American Grown Turkey in Hong Cong!)

Edited by Taxguy77

JUST HOW MUCH does a US passport cost?? It must be thousands if it is such an issue to get one - or is it extremely difficult?

its $135.00 for an new one for an adult good for 10 years and $110 for a child one good for 5 years.

Its not particularly difficult to get. You need to prove citizenship(birth certificate or naturalization papers) and identification a government issued id...a driver's license or other government issued id(there are alternatives allowed) and a in person interview available at many post offices or county clerks offices..pretty much everywhere within a few miles. Certain people can't get one because of child support issues or in case of divorce both parents need to approve getting it...

Edited by smeyer418

its $135.00 for an new one for an adult good for 10 years and $110 for a child one good for 5 years.

Its not particularly difficult to get. You need to prove citizenship(birth certificate or naturalization papers) and identification a government issued id...a driver's license or other government issued id(there are alternatives allowed) and a in person interview available at many post offices or county clerks offices..pretty much everywhere within a few miles. Certain people can't get one because of child support issues or in case of divorce both parents need to approve getting it...

Thank you - as an Aussie(and we pay far more) I cant see what the issue is? You want to travel - you get a passport!

Thank you - as an Aussie(and we pay far more) I cant see what the issue is? You want to travel - you get a passport!

Since US law (and the laws of certain adjoining countries) permits certain types of travel to those adjoining countries, such as closed loop cruises, without a passport, US citizens don't have to get a passport for those situations.

It's not your business to dictate that someone should get a passport for situations where one is not required by law. It's not your place to tell someone how to spend their money.

Edited by njhorseman

Note that this LIMITS you in your choice of "cruises"..

DW and I consider international travel as including over 100 more countries than this would include!

Cruises include Europe, and many countries; sorry we missed asia (Were in China for Christmas with DD one year, and went with her to obtain American Grown Turkey in Hong Cong!)

It doesn't limit us...we pick out our cruise and if it requires a passport then we would get one. For us a passport does not limit our choice of cruises...our jobs do :rolleyes:. We will be getting passports in the next month and we still will not be able to take or cruises you describe because of time constraints. Having a passport does not benefit us at all in that area.

It's not your business to dictate that someone should get a passport for situations where one is not required by law. It's not your place to tell someone how to spend their money.

yes its true that they don't have to get one but this could have been said more diplomatically (IMO)...

and remember NOT to tip the passport reviewer....;)

BTW slightly less than a third of Americana have passport. What happens if you get stranded overseas and can't get a passport issued?

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/22CFR/HTML/22CFR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2898/0-0-0-3335.html

§ 51.60 Denial and restriction of passports.

they can issue a "passport" which allows you only to fly back to the US.....so you won't be stranded forever....unless you are poor old charlie and have to ride on the MTA....

http://www.mit.edu/~jdreed/t/charlie.html

Edited by smeyer418

yes its true that they don't have to get one but this could have been said more diplomatically (IMO)...

and remember NOT to tip the passport reviewer....;)

The lack of diplomatic wording was intentional. I'm weary of the continual barrage of paternalistic and patronizing posts directed at people who choose to exercise their right to travel without a passport in the limited circumstances where it is permitted.

By the way...I have a passport and never leave the country without it, even on a closed loop cruise, but it's not my place to point a finger at others who choose to travel without one. My recollection is that you have agreed with that position in the past, and have even taken your grandchildren on cruises without their having passports, although you personally have a passport.

The lack of diplomatic wording was intentional. I'm weary of the continual barrage of paternalistic and patronizing posts directed at people who choose to exercise their right to travel without a passport in the limited circumstances where it is permitted.

By the way...I have a passport and never leave the country without it, even on a closed loop cruise, but it's not my place to point a finger at others who choose to travel without one. My recollection is that you have agreed with that position in the past, and have even taken your grandchildren on cruises without their having passports, although you personally have a passport.

LOL somewhere around is a picture of one of my grandson's with you in the back round as he reads a book on the Majesty. I do agree with you. My grandsons who have been on a total of 9 cruises are 6 and 4 and have no passports yet. They will when they are sixteen and we take them to Europe. while I too weary of being told about passports and tipping, I haven't been warned in a couple of years as I get more diplomatic...most of the time not always...

• 3 years later...

Ok So we are going on a couples cruise (4 couples) in fall

I will be going on NCL Escape - from Miami to Miami - Tortola, St. Thomas & Nassau.

I have a passport but my daughter and her husband doesn't. They are struggling financially and paying $260 for a passport is a big deal to them. The cruise & flight is paid for already.

I read that you traveled with your Birth Certificate and State Drivers License 9 times. Did you experience any hassles? Can you go on the islands and aboard the ship with no problems? The Birth Certificate has my daughters maiden name not married name so I assume that won't be an issue. Looks like you cruised in 2016 did you go without a passport at that time? This is their first cruise, I really want them to join us and not have any horrible experiences

Ok So we are going on a couples cruise (4 couples) in fall

I will be going on NCL Escape - from Miami to Miami - Tortola, St. Thomas & Nassau.

I have a passport but my daughter and her husband doesn't. They are struggling financially and paying $260 for a passport is a big deal to them. The cruise & flight is paid for already.

I read that you traveled with your Birth Certificate and State Drivers License 9 times. Did you experience any hassles? Can you go on the islands and aboard the ship with no problems? The Birth Certificate has my daughters maiden name not married name so I assume that won't be an issue. Looks like you cruised in 2016 did you go without a passport at that time? This is their first cruise, I really want them to join us and not have any horrible experiences

Legally, for US citizens, on a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port), the minimum requirement for cruising is a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over ) a government issued photo ID.

That being said, there are cruise lines that require a passport for all cruises, regardless of the law. And some countries may require a passport. You'd have to check if the countries you are visiting will require a passport. If so, they won't let you board the ship without one. Also check with your cruise line if they are REQUIRING a passport, or just SUGGESTING it.

If you are not required to have a passport to board, then all you need in ports is the ship's card and the photo ID to reboard the ship after you visit.

Edited by Shmoo here