Anyone in trying to get in shape before their cruise?

fantasy1029

I'm going on my second cruise with my husband in August. I started my weight loss journey last March and have since lost 60 pounds. Now that I've booked my cruise and it getting closer, I'm more determined that ever to shape this body up! Anyone else?

Wow, congrats! 60 lbs is an amazing achievement. You should be really proud of yourself!

I haven't lost as much, 10 lbs so far. We are on a 12 night Med cruise next July. I want to lose another 5 at least. More importantly, I've started exercising again, walking, aerobics, and strength training. The best part is, even though their weight loss isn't that much., everything has tightened up and my clothes are fitting so much better!

I plan on being strong and fit for our trip. We are gone 35 days total and only taking carrry on, so my clothes have to be smaller so I can take more! LOL.

Keep up the great work, you'll look fabulous on your cruise!

Thanks guys! :) I still have about 30ish to go but I'm working on it. I really need to start working out and toning up though. Between sickness and the crappy weather here lately, I haven't really been up to working out. I'm running a 5k in May though so I gotta get off my butt!

I was working out--ice skating twice a week for an hour+ both days until lung issues sidelined me. It's hard to skate when you get short of breath after 30 seconds of activity.

On the other hand, we went on diets about a month or so ago. DH has lost close to 20 and I've lost 10-12 depending on the day of the week. I imagine I will gain some of it back on the cruise.

It is hard to make myself work out some days. I don't go to the gym, just walk (now that the weather is nicer) and do tapes at home. I have one 45 min tape that is a mixture of walking and toning with weights, in intervals, that I really like doing. Helps when it's something I like and the time seems to go by faster. I'm not really that coordinated, so the zumba-type tapes don't do it for me. I don't work up any kind of a sweat because I'm usually too busy trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. :D

The good news is, I just got back from 6 days in San Diego, where I ate out two meals a day and did a lot of walking, plus two visits to the hotel gym to use the reclining cycle for 45 min. I came home and had actually lost a half a pound. So don't forget, while there is yummy food on the cruise, we're usually more active and can (hopefully) offset whatever we gain. One thing I will NOT do is diet while on a cruise!!

We started an exercise program last year. We walk 3 miles every day and I have modified the Atkins/Weight watchers programs. Since January 2012, I have lost 60 pounds and DH has lost 50 pounds. Our goal was to get down to goal weight and increase our endurance for tours in Europe. DH only has to lose about 10 more and I have about 30 to go:o. My endurance has really improved and I'm determined to stick with it. We also went on 2 cruises and all the holidays and were able to maintain our weight loss.

Margee

I've been doing weightwatchers and have lost 50 pounds to get to goal just before Xmas.

We are going on the Coral Princess through the Panama Canal in just over 3 weeks time so I am desperately trying to lose another 5 pounds before we go as that is what I usually gain on a 2 week cruise.

I go to zumba class twice a week and run 3 miles 3 times a week, so am going to try to keep this up on the cruise.

Well done on your weight loss so far, keep up the good work.

'Nothing tastes as good as slim feels' :)

Di

We started an exercise program last year. We walk 3 miles every day and I have modified the Atkins/Weight watchers programs. Since January 2012, I have lost 60 pounds and DH has lost 50 pounds. Our goal was to get down to goal weight and increase our endurance for tours in Europe. DH only has to lose about 10 more and I have about 30 to go:o. My endurance has really improved and I'm determined to stick with it. We also went on 2 cruises and all the holidays and were able to maintain our weight loss.

Margee

Congratulations! We do a modified South Beach. It really works for us.

I have been working on losing weight for a month now. I am pre diabetic, so my Dr. wants me to do a lower carb diet. I still eat lots of fruits and veggies, but no rice, or pasta, or white potatoes. I was weighed at the Dr. today, and I was 20lbs down! In one month!! I am so dang proud of myself. I know that I won't have that kind of weight loss all the time, and my goal is 2 lbs a week. I have a lot more to lose, but I am really motivated. I can do this!

I have been working on losing weight for a month now. I am pre diabetic, so my Dr. wants me to do a lower carb diet. I still eat lots of fruits and veggies, but no rice, or pasta, or white potatoes. I was weighed at the Dr. today, and I was 20lbs down! In one month!! I am so dang proud of myself. I know that I won't have that kind of weight loss all the time, and my goal is 2 lbs a week. I have a lot more to lose, but I am really motivated. I can do this!

That's fantastic! Congrats, you should be very proud of yourself!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations all you successful weight loss posters. Well Done!

We cruise a lot so I try to lose about 3 pounds before every cruise to keep from getting out of control. I may not be losing but it keeps me from gaining. :)

Congratulations to all who have lost weight!

The end of February I was starting to get back into exercising, walking, and losing weight. I'm getting get ready for Alaska in August. Wouldn't you know it, but the 4th of March I broke my foot. :(

Now I'm trying to figure out what I can do while sitting down. I can't bear weight on the foot until the end of April. One can only do so many leg lifts and knee bends while sitting. I feel my arms are getting stronger as crutches do that to you. Any suggestions?

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your foot...

Maybe Google wheelchair exercises? I did a kick boxing workout today, led by Chris Freytag. She mentioned that any time you do repetitive exercise with your arms raised above your heart, your heart rate will go up. Maybe combine that with knee lifts while seated?

Good luck!

Chair Aerobics for Everyone DVDs on Amazon. I don't think that most people can lose weight with exercise alone, though -- you will have to cut back on calories too. It takes reducing calories by 3600 to lose a pound a week.

Chair Aerobics for Everyone DVDs on Amazon. I don't think that most people can lose weight with exercise alone, though -- you will have to cut back on calories too. It takes reducing calories by 3600 to lose a pound a week.

I think exercise is overrated for weight loss, if you have been exercising regularly for years. I dropped 20 lbs easily when I first started jogging 20+ years ago. Now, I am on the elliptical for 47 minutes every day, and cannot lose much without starving. Unfortunately, the body gets used to exercise. For beginners, I think it can help!

I've been doing the green coffee beans---think that is helping some!

Check out Dreamfields pasta. Diabetics can eat it and it tastes like normal pasta. It's low carb.

Two months ago I started Zumba Fitness Core and love it. Two and a half weeks ago I bought a juicer. A combination of the two have resulted in a 15 pound loss so far, but still have alot to lose. I feel better since I started juicing, and I have to say that most of the loss is from the juice. I know I look better than before, I just hope I can wiggle my way into that cute suit I bought, lol. My cruise is in 25 days! YIKES!

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your foot...

Maybe Google wheelchair exercises? I did a kick boxing workout today, led by Chris Freytag. She mentioned that any time you do repetitive exercise with your arms raised above your heart, your heart rate will go up. Maybe combine that with knee lifts while seated?

Good luck!

Thanks sweatpea, I'll have to look some of those up. I'll be happy when I can be more mobile.

Thanks for your input klauer, tomorrow that's just what I'm going to do.

I do know that exercise alone does not work. I'm taking in 1200 calories a day so I have cut back on what I eat. I'm also not eating all the sweets I used to so that helps.

Nothing motivates me to exercise more than an upcoming vacation! :) I bought a pedometer and have been trying to put 10,000 steps on it a day. I'm not trying to lose weight - just tone up and get rid of some flab so I can feel good in my bathing suit.

I lost 27 pounds last year, and a few have crept back on, so I'm back on my plan for my upcoming cruise in May.:eek: The secret to my success is mixing up my exercise, eating more veggies and abstaining from drinking wine 5 days a week:eek::eek:

I gave up my gym membership in favor of the Tony Horton Power 90/P90X videos. Many of the exercises are too extreme in their pure form for this almost-60 body, but I do pullups with a chair, pushups on my knees, don't lunge too low, etc., and it really works. If I do the same exercise every day, then my muscles get used to it and they don't work as hard, so I plateau.

And like cruisincrow, I wear a pedometer daily, especially on a cruise. We walk 3-4 miles on the promenade deck or up high, depending on the weather. It keeps the weight gains down.

Archived