I got Norovirus and wasnt on a cruise

ryano

Do you have "those" friends that scoff at you any time you mention cruising? :rolleyes:

How about those friends that believe cruise ships are just one big germ ridden trap on the high seas and that if they go they will get sick?

I have a few of those friends myself.

Last week, I got a confirmed case of Norovirus and I havent been on a cruise in almost a year. I really dont know where I got it or how but I know I dont EVER want it again.

For those that have had Norovirus, I need not tell you how miserable it is. You already know!

For those that havent? Consider youself FORTUNATE and do your best while onboard to be clean and wash your hands frequently! Do NOT let the hand sanitizers be your false sense of security!

I will spare the details but I went through almost 4 full days of being the sickest I have ever been in my life as far as stomach virus goes. I even had a lowgrade fever at times. At one point, I thought I would have to get to feeling better to die :(

It was miserable and I cant even imagine being on a cruise ship and being that sick.

Im not trying to scare anyone. I promise! I guess the only reason I am even posting this here is to warn people to practice cleanliness and frequent handwashing while on board. And even though most of us already know, I am letting newbies that might be looking on know that you can get this stuff on land too.

I was real good about trying to practice good personal hygeine before. Now Im afraid I will become a freak about it, lol.

Happy cruising everyone!

PS. I know this isnt Royal Caribbean specific or even really cruising specific but this is the only forum on here I frequent. If it gets moved or deleted, I understand.

Do you have "those" friends that scoff at you any time you mention cruising? :rolleyes:

How about those friends that believe cruise ships are just one big germ ridden trap on the high seas and that if they go they will get sick?

I have a few of those friends myself.

Last week, I got a confirmed case of Norovirus and I havent been on a cruise in almost a year. I really dont know where I got it or how but I know I dont EVER want it again.

For those that have had Norovirus, I need not tell you how miserable it is. You already know!

For those that havent? Consider youself FORTUNATE and do your best while onboard to be clean and wash your hands frequently! Do NOT let the hand sanitizers be your false sense of security!

I will spare the details but I went through almost 4 full days of being the sickest I have ever been in my life as far as stomach virus goes. I even had a lowgrade fever at times. At one point, I thought I would have to get to feeling better to die :(

It was miserable and I cant even imagine being on a cruise ship and being that sick.

Im not trying to scare anyone. I promise! I guess the only reason I am even posting this here is to warn people to practice cleanliness and frequent handwashing while on board. And even though most of us already know, I am letting newbies that might be looking on know that you can get this stuff on land too.

I was real good about trying to practice good personal hygeine before. Now Im afraid I will become a freak about it, lol.

Happy cruising everyone!

PS. I know this isnt Royal Caribbean specific or even really cruising specific but this is the only forum on here I frequent. If it gets moved or deleted, I understand.

I have a few of those friends too, they always say "don't go a cruise you'll get noro!"

Noro virus can develop anywhere there is a large number of people and germs can mutate, a few hospitals here over the last few months have had wards shut because of outbreaks and the same can happen in places like schools etc.

Noro runs wild on land.......and it's the people that have been exposed that bring it on ships. ( not intentionally..some never get the symptoms )

Assisted living facilitys, nursing homes, hospitals see cases of it several times a year.

And I concur with the OP, it's not something you ever want to experience.

I did too! I kept thinking, I got norovirus, and I don't even have a cruise to show for it!:D

In keeping with the tradition of getting sick on a form of transportation, however, I did manage to throw up on the commuter train on the way home from work. Made it in time to the bathroom on the train, TG. It was awful!:eek:

Been on over a dozen cruises, never got more than a cold. :cool:

I have a few of those friends too, they always say "don't go a cruise you'll get noro!"

Noro virus can develop anywhere there is a large number of people and germs can mutate, a few hospitals here over the last few months have had wards shut because of outbreaks and the same can happen in places like schools etc.

Easiest place I've seen it spread was in a hospital.

aunt-MIL-FIL-DW-me. all within less than a week, and two of us had to go 5000 miles to get there.

The sad thing was- they never once admitted it. Instead of having help, they just let it spread.

Noro virus is actually more common on land than at sea. Most people just don't like it when their vacation is impacted so you hear more about it.

Also, 4 days is a long time. A lot of people report feeling better within about 48 hours. Funny thing is, most people have had noro at some point in their lives and just through it was a stomach virus, which is really is, but when they're on a cruise it takes on a life of it's own.

Ever notice that those "friends" who look down their noses at cruising are the ones that think camping is fun? Or a road trip with three whiny children in the back? We get a double whammy of it because not only do we cruise - we also go to Walt Disney World!:eek: Oh! The horror!

So sorry you got hit with the norovirus. Such a wicked disease! Don't try to do too much too soon - it takes a long time to get over it. I had it last year - without a cruise in sight. Not only should you wash your hands - remember not to touch your face! Especially your eyes.

That is impossible. You must have been on a cruise last week and you just don't remember. Everyone that listens to news reports on the virus knows you get it on a "luxury" cruise. ;)

Ugh - I am sorry! We haven't had confirmed Norovirus but we had it's wicked step sister Rotavirus a few years ago. My poor 11 months old was almost hospitalized from it and it lasted over a week for him. My older son was vaccinated against it when he was a baby and only had it for about 12 hours. Mine was quick as well but the poor baby and my mom who had to come help me when both kids started at the same time had it bad. Where my older son was born vaccinated against it was normal routine but where we live now and my younger son was born it is not.

I don't wish that one anyone. We are cruising on Allure on April 7th and seriously considering keeping my kids home from school on Thursday and Friday. They aren't even going on the cruise but I just can't bare to risk catching it from them!

I'm painfully aware how easy it is to catch Noro on land. When my kids were in elementary school I don't think a year went by without one or all of us catching it regardless of the precautions we took. Since they have started middle school it seems to have eased up a bit. Maybe because middle school aged children are better with their personal hygiene or perhaps we've just been lucky. In any case I wouldn't wish Noro on my worst enemy.

After 20 cruises, I have never gotten sick on any of them. Well, got "noro" last week, by day 4 I was in the ER, 2 IV's and meds. Don't ever remember being that sick in my life before. I wish that on no one!!

I JUST got over my norovirus strain that I picked up on my cruise. The doctor said it was in incubation period and just decided to manifest and bite me in the butt. Its nasty, and I absolutely hated it! Get better soon!

Keep your hands clean everyone!!! Can't stress that enough!

I JUST got over my norovirus strain that I picked up on my cruise. The doctor said it was in incubation period and just decided to manifest and bite me in the butt. Its nasty, and I absolutely hated it! Get better soon!

Keep your hands clean everyone!!! Can't stress that enough!

Hope you're feeling better. All the hand sanitizers they had us using don't do much good with some of the strains out there. Only soap and water and a lot of scrubbing.

We were on Vision, the Noro cruise from Feb. 25 to March 8. We managed to avoid it on the ship, with lots of hand washing. I think we were exposed to by it the vomiting woman on the plane on the home.

We managed to avoid the Noro ship only to succumb to the Noro plane. :rolleyes: We both came down with it at the same time and pretty much lost control of bodily functions. Very unpleasant.

Work was not happy about the 3 additional days off following vacation....but they also didn't want me to come in. :)

We were on Vision, the Noro cruise from Feb. 25 to March 8. We managed to avoid it on the ship, with lots of hand washing. I think we were exposed to by it the vomiting woman on the plane on the home.

We managed to avoid the Noro ship only to succumb to the Noro plane. :rolleyes: We both came down with it at the same time and pretty much lost control of bodily functions. Very unpleasant.

Work was not happy about the 3 additional days off following vacation....but they also didn't want me to come in. :)

I've read that it takes little one virus particle entering through the nose or throat to make us sick. I bet everyone on that plane got it. Bleach solutions are one of the only sure fire way to remove it from surfaces.

Glad you're feeling better.

Archived