Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned because when I think jeans, the last word that comes to mind is "fancy." And I can't tell an expensive pair of jeans from the ones I buy at K-Mart. Too bad Minnie Pearl still isn't around to help me out!!!!:D

(You'll know who Minnie Pearl was if you grew up when jeans were considered work garments that weren't "fancy" or "dressy" or "expensive."):):)

Minnie Pearl, huh? Wow, you just took me WAAAAY back with that one. I can hear her voice now....HOWWWDEEEEE!!!! LOL :D

On casual nights, yes. On formal night probably not. I do know you can NOT wear a tank top in the DR. DD's boyfriend was asked to leave the MDR last week on the Freedom until he changed.

This happened 2 years ago on the Emerald...it was a dressy nite, and the person we were sitting with was dressed in jeans that looked worn with a hole at the knee. He did leave to change and was back in time to order his meal...

I was on the Carnival Dream in December, and my stepdaughter's boyfriend showed up to both formal nights in faded out blue jeans and tennis shoes. The dining room didn't say anything either night. No, it didn't affect our dinner or anything, he just looks like the odd man out in the formal picture, as we are all dressed to the nines, and he is not.

I read through the entire thread last week and checked back on it today. It's amazing what people assume, and you know what happens when you assume....

OP asked if it was okay to wear dressy jeans in the MDR. OP never said what cruise line he/she was on or where they were going.

Answers came back ranging from absolutely not to absoultely to why would you want to wear jeans in the Carribean?

How can anyone answer the question without knowing what line? And to answer so heatedly as though you actually know the answer!

Back to lurkdom.

I read through the entire thread last week and checked back on it today. It's amazing what people assume, and you know what happens when you assume....

OP asked if it was okay to wear dressy jeans in the MDR. OP never said what cruise line he/she was on or where they were going.

Answers came back ranging from absolutely not to absoultely to why would you want to wear jeans in the Carribean?

How can anyone answer the question without knowing what line? And to answer so heatedly as though you actually know the answer!

Back to lurkdom.

I'm sorry :confused:

I was just sharing my experience that I had -

Back to lurkdom.

The OP posted on the RCI board originally, the thread was then moved to the current Fashions and Beauty board. The OP has also posted on thr RCI board that they will be on Freedom in the Caribbean. Not too much of a stretch to figure out ship and cruise line. If you got into this thread after it was moved, that could explain why you are confused by some of the responses.

The OP posted on the RCI board originally, the thread was then moved to the current Fashions and Beauty board. The OP has also posted on thr RCI board that they will be on Freedom in the Caribbean. Not too much of a stretch to figure out ship and cruise line. If you got into this thread after it was moved, that could explain why you are confused by some of the responses.

Okay, that makes sense! I wondered how everyone seemed to know. I have never sailed RCI and have never read the RCI boards. Actually, I can't figure out why the thread was moved since the question is really specific to the line!

I do know for a fact for me wearing Jeans in the Caribbean would be miserable..

Certainly he may wear jeans but again no t-shirts, tank-tops or wife beaters. I think dressing decently would just be common courtesy to your fellow diners, A decent pair of chino's can be had for less $$ then a decent pair of jeans and much more comfortable in the heat.

I do know for a fact for me wearing Jeans in the Caribbean would be miserable..

Certainly he may wear jeans but again no t-shirts, tank-tops or wife beaters. I think dressing decently would just be common courtesy to your fellow diners, A decent pair of chino's can be had for less $$ then a decent pair of jeans and much more comfortable in the heat.

I don't find jeans at all uncomfortable. I only wear them on the ship and it's always air conditioned. In fact, sometimes the MDR is colder than a meat locker.

While it will not effect the taste of my food or my enjoyment of the cruise I must admit I do like to see everyone dressed up a little for dinner. One of the reasons I prefer RCCL to NCL is the traditional dinner. And I think that most people make a little extra effort in dressing nice for dinner. Please don't flame me, I am not passing judgement on anyone. It is your cruise, and yes, you can dress how you want. For me, part of the fun is getting ready for dinner, dressing up a little nicer than "dinner at home"....kind of like dressing up for "date night". Stopping for a drink at he paino bar. To me it is worth it and my husband does take notice that I spent a little extra time getting ready for our "date". No tuxes or ball gowns, my husband does wear a suit on formal night and I wear a long dress, but that is what we like. :D

Hi ,I agree but I do put on a Tux . just my choice. :D:D Bill

On NCL where it seems anything short of your birthday suit is acceptable attire no problem. On our last Cunard cruise everyone who attempted to wear jeans into our dining room was politely asked to change. Dressy or not a no jeans policy appeared to be in place. That was almost 3 years ago and it may have changed.

Ok, I feel guilty for the fact that I just lost 10 minutes of my life skimming through these last 11 pages and I usually stay away from these type of "opinion" threads but here is my 2 cents since we are shooting for 12 pages:p...

Yes, I am one of those crazy people who wear $200+ jeans on casual night with a fancy tank top and do not think twice about it. What I found humorous though was on my last cruise a few weeks ago I noticed an elderly couple staring at my husband's $120 Clark leather sandals with a disapproving look. Meanwhile, the wife and husband were both sporting $5 leather bo-bos from Walmart:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What you spent on something is irrelevent. I don't care how much your jeans cost - they're still just jeans.

Yes, I am one of those crazy people who wear $200+ jeans on casual night with a fancy tank top and do not think twice about it. What I found humorous though was on my last cruise a few weeks ago I noticed an elderly couple staring at my husband's $120 Clark leather sandals with a disapproving look. Meanwhile, the wife and husband were both sporting $5 leather bo-bos from Walmart:rolleyes::rolleyes:

do you leave the price tags on to make yourself feel better? :rolleyes:

Jeans are jeans..I'm not sure what the interpretation is of "fancy"...to one jeans with holes might be fancy. If your talking about jeans with sequins, etc..to me they look like your trying to cover up the fact that you wearing jeans.

Archived