Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

Let me start by saying that my hubby and I love to dress up for dinner on the cruises we have been on. Formal night no exception. Nice suit for my hubby, long gown for me:)

BUT, on my upcoming Explorer cruise, less than 2 weeks away, I may wear a nice pair of jeans to the MDR on the first night. It is a motorcycle cruise for us. Taking our Harley on board and riding the islands. Cruising and riding your own bike on the islands is our perfect vacation.

So, the first night, I may wear a pair of jeans, a nice shirt, AND (gasp:eek:), a leather vest!!! Oh the horror;) Our vests are adorned with pins that show the different benefit rides we have done. Mostly Rolling Thunder (MIA, POW), and Operation God Bless America (for the veteran's in our VA hospital). Also numerous pins that show the different places that we have visited on our travels.

If this horrifies you, please turn your heads, stick up your noses, do whatever makes you feel like the better person. It's okay by me. No worry about us being seated at your table. The motorcycle group will all be seated together!

If you are one's that are interested in our "bedazzled" vests, please strike up a conversation. We love to talk about our travels!!

Interesting quote I found today......

“Not everyone thinks the way you think, knows the things you know, believes

the things you believe, nor acts the way you would act. Remember this and you will go a long way in getting along with people.”

Time to go off topic a bit. THANKS A LOT for all you are doing for our vets. Where we live, the American Legion riders do the same. Your actions show what is really important and I applaud your good works. Thanks again.

Sharod

Let me also say thank you for your work. I would love to hang out with you folks and chat anytime....on a cruise ship even better.

We have a local biker group that does a christmas visitation for children in our local hospitals along with the Fire Department.

Those big tough bikers don't fool me ....they are the biggest softies around those kids, they love them :)

It doesnt matter how many signs they put up. As long as the word "suggested" is there and they dont even enforce the "suggestions" those signs are nothing more than a waste of money and space.

I had no idea RCI had 4 different Dress code suggestions. I have never seen Semi Formal on the cruises I have been on. I thought it was only Casual, Smart Casual and Formal.

I will wear casual dress clothes on Casual night, the same on Smart Casual night and either a Suit or Tux on Formal night but I could really NOT care less who wear jeans or whatever....It really cracks me up that so many get in such a tizzy over this as if its really ruining their cruise. There is as much if not more self entitlement to those type people as there are the "its my cruise and I will wear what i want' people.

I must disagree....I don't care what people wear...as long as it fits within the guidelines....it is not "self-entitlement"...it is respect for the "rules" .... and I guess there are a lot of people in this world who have no idea what that means....or just don't care.

I must disagree....I don't care what people wear...as long as it fits within the guidelines....it is not "self-entitlement"...it is respect for the "rules" .... and I guess there are a lot of people in this world who have no idea what that means....or just don't care.

And there are no "rules" about jeans.

Here's what annoys me...not how people choose to dress...but that RCCL has "rules"that are meaningless. By doing this,they are imposing a penalty on the "rule-followers" by making them schlep " appropriate attire" and essentially making fools of them in the process.

RCCL should just come out and say..."Our interest in the financial bottom line requires us to accept all manner of slovenly and formerly inappropriate "dinner dress." Come in your swimsuits, your frayed jeans, your underwear. No one will be turned away. Let everyone...define themselves in whatever manner they choose. We will never confront anybody who scraped up the money to get onboard."

If it is RCCL's intention to have their dining room look like a Beach Bar...that is their decison. Drop the pretense and let the rest of us stop trying to achieve an elegance that is neither appreciated, expected, or enforced.

It is this phony pretense without enforcement that is so unfair.

I agree if Royal has rules in place, they should be enforced. But that's about as far as I can go with agreeing with your post. Your description of those who don't follow the rules is just as low class as what you accuse the "slovenly dressed" of being...

Time to go off topic a bit. THANKS A LOT for all you are doing for our vets. Where we live, the American Legion riders do the same. Your actions show what is really important and I applaud your good works. Thanks again.

Thank you. We truly enjoy helping out whenever we can. The VA ride brings tears to my eyes. Seeing the veterans in wheelchairs singing their hearts out to the patriotic songs that are sung. Very emotional.

Sharod

Let me also say thank you for your work. I would love to hang out with you folks and chat anytime....on a cruise ship even better.

We have a local biker group that does a christmas visitation for children in our local hospitals along with the Fire Department.

Those big tough bikers don't fool me ....they are the biggest softies around those kids, they love them :)

Thank you too!!! If we are ever on the same cruise, I would love to meet you! I love to talk meet and talk to new people. I always say, "there are no strangers, just friends that I have yet to meet".

Sorry, I think I just totally aged myself saying bobos and had to google it to explain it, but per urban dictionary...

1. Bobos

Generic, no-name shoes or even worse shoes with corny names (i.e. pro-wings, avia, sike (just glue it), four-stripe adidas, ragamuffinpinwheelsdeluxe. . .).It's an early 80's word.

"Bobos, they make your feet feel fine,

Bobos, they cost a dollar ninety-nine. . ."

Ha! When you said you totally aged yourself, I thought you meant REALLY aged yourself as I had never heard the word and I am "up there." Then when you said it was an early 80's word......I guess I was too old in the 80's to know it...or I'm too old to remember it....or I will go with it was a regional thing and I was in the wrong region :D

I just read through 4/5 pages of this 12 pg debate. Gheesh this is quite the debate! As you can see, I'm new here. I have a legitimate question. Please don't get mad and start a debate over my question. I'm not trying to start anything, I just genuinely want to make sure I do the right thing on my upcoming cruise. It's been 15 years since my last cruise. I didn't realize that flip flops weren't allowed until I started reading this thread, so I'm so glad that did. In the summer when I dress up for dates with my husband, etc, I usually wear a sundress and flip flops. Not the $1 version from Old Navy, but maybe flip flops with a little bling or a cute flower, or plain. Is that not ok? What about for the casual nights in the MDR? Would it be ok then, just not on formal nights? I will still look nice, I promise. I just want to avoid by fancy heels that I'll never wear again if I don't have to (I work in a very casual work environment where no one ever wears dress shoes). I do have one pair of heels I could probably use for both formal nights. I'd love to not have to be uncomfortable the other nights though.

Kristin

I believe the "flip flops" they are referring to are the beach and/or pool flip flops. A lot of women's dress or dressy casual summer shoes have a strap going through the toe, but they are not considered flip flops. They are sandals.

Here's what annoys me...not how people choose to dress...but that RCCL has "rules"that are meaningless. By doing this,they are imposing a penalty on the "rule-followers" by making them schlep " appropriate attire" and essentially making fools of them in the process.

RCCL should just come out and say..."Our interest in the financial bottom line requires us to accept all manner of slovenly and formerly inappropriate "dinner dress." Come in your swimsuits, your frayed jeans, your underwear. No one will be turned away. Let everyone...define themselves in whatever manner they choose. We will never confront anybody who scraped up the money to get onboard."

If it is RCCL's intention to have their dining room look like a Beach Bar...that is their decison. Drop the pretense and let the rest of us stop trying to achieve an elegance that is neither appreciated, expected, or enforced.

It is this phony pretense without enforcement that is so unfair.

As with many cruise line rules, I have found they tend to take the path of least resistance. All it takes is one buffoon to cause a scene over not being allowed in the dining room due to his/her dress, and not only will that buffoon get their way, those particular rules will be ignored for some time on that ship. And if that buffoon files a complaint on the particular crewmember who tried to enforce the rules, that crewmember gets in trouble. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is on cruise ships. Their "customer is always right" practice is much stronger than most businesses.

And there are no "rules" about jeans.

Then jeans are fine although that is not the part of your comment I was referring to. I was disagreeing with your statement (and perhaps I took it wrong) that those of us who expect people to follow rules (and not just here but everywhere in life) have as much if not more of a self entitlement attitude. No, we have a respect for rules and not a "rules don't apply to me" attitude in everything in life.

I was disagreeing with your statement (and perhaps I took it wrong) that those of us who expect people to follow rules (and not just here but everywhere in life) have as much if not more of a self entitlement attitude. .

No. Maybe the way I typed it wasnt clear but that wasnt what I was talking about at all.

Im talking about those CC'ers here that have their own set of self imposed rules and they tell someone that jeans arent allowed at all or are not allowed on formal night.

They most certainly are allowed in the MDR. Even on formal nights.

In fact, go to the head waiter or just your waiter next time on board and tell him you wont be in the MDR because all you have besides shorts to dress in are jeans......I will bet a months paycheck they tell you to come on to dinner anyway.

No. Maybe the way I typed it wasnt clear but that wasnt what I was talking about at all.

Im talking about those CC'ers here that have their own set of self imposed rules and they tell someone that jeans arent allowed at all or are not allowed on formal night.

In fact, go to the head waiter or just your waiter next time on board and tell him you wont be in the MDR because all you have besides shorts to dress in are jeans......I will bet a months paycheck they tell you to come on to dinner anyway.

You should have bet more since you would undoubtably win!:D My husband forgot his dress pants on one cruise and wore black denims, aka jeans, to formal night with a dress shirt, tie & jacket. No one seemed to notice or even care!

Sherri:)

it is respect for the "rules" .... and I guess there are a lot of people in this world who have no idea what that means....or just don't care.

Yep... this thread is proof that there are many people who don't know what a rule is.

Rule...*A thin metal strip of various widths and designs, used to print borders or lines, as between columns.

That nuns used to use to rap the knuckles of naughty school children ....pretty apropo wouldn't you say :) *LOL*

Wow, I've read this thread with much interest. There are many varied opinions on dress - so I thought I might as well express mine too. :)

Our family embraced cruising just a few years ago, and my DW and I go on an average of two cruises per year. Once per year, we try to get away by ourselves. And, on the second, we travel with extended family and lots of kids (ages from 5 through 15). Simply put, we enjoy dressing up for dinners and other occassions. We make sure all of the children are "appropriately" dressed. For us, it adds to the festivities of the vacation. We've cruised so far on Royal, Celebrity, Princess and Norwegian. I think each line does different things well but one thing I don't particularly enjoy with Norwegian is that they've gone too casual.

For me, IMHO (and I know a lot of people will disagree), it kind of speaks to where we in NA have gone economically. We are run down and don't take pride in our abilities or how we look. The dining experience in the MDR is by its nature more formal than casual. And yes, as long as the cruise lines tolerate casual, then you can choose to do so. However, I wouldn't show up to an important business meeting or an interview in my "fancy jeans" nor would most people.

As many people state, casual is the trend today. Well, trends change and, at some point, the pendulum will swing back and people will start caring again about how they look, talk and are perceived. So, I'm looking forward to that future. Until that time, enjoy your fancy jeans.

Cheers,

Aaron

. Until that time, enjoy your fancy jeans.

Cheers,

Aaron

Im not sure who you are aiming that at but you quoted me. I dont take jeans on a cruise and I abide by the dress "suggestions" for each given night.

Jeans are perfectly fine in the MDR though and it matters NOT to me what anyone else wears.

Im not sure who you are aiming that at but you quoted me. I dont take jeans on a cruise and I abide by the dress "suggestions" for each given night.

Jeans are perfectly fine in the MDR though and it matters NOT to me what anyone else wears.

That's a matter of opinion, and I suppose it depends upon how you define "slacks," which is how RCI describes what is perfectly fine in the MDR. There's a difference, though, between "perfectly fine" and "not prohibited." :cool:

I'm not bothered by the fact that some people choose to wear jeans, but I don't think it technically fits into the suggested dress. I would classify jeans more as tolerated than perfectly fine. Of course, if it's fancy jeans, that's entirely different. :D

Wow, I've read this thread with much interest. There are many varied opinions on dress - so I thought I might as well express mine too. :)

Our family embraced cruising just a few years ago, and my DW and I go on an average of two cruises per year. Once per year, we try to get away by ourselves. And, on the second, we travel with extended family and lots of kids (ages from 5 through 15). Simply put, we enjoy dressing up for dinners and other occassions. We make sure all of the children are "appropriately" dressed. For us, it adds to the festivities of the vacation. We've cruised so far on Royal, Celebrity, Princess and Norwegian. I think each line does different things well but one thing I don't particularly enjoy with Norwegian is that they've gone too casual.

For me, IMHO (and I know a lot of people will disagree), it kind of speaks to where we in NA have gone economically. We are run down and don't take pride in our abilities or how we look. The dining experience in the MDR is by its nature more formal than casual. And yes, as long as the cruise lines tolerate casual, then you can choose to do so. However, I wouldn't show up to an important business meeting or an interview in my "fancy jeans" nor would most people.

As many people state, casual is the trend today. Well, trends change and, at some point, the pendulum will swing back and people will start caring again about how they look, talk and are perceived. So, I'm looking forward to that future. Until that time, enjoy your fancy jeans.

Cheers,

Aaron

I disagree.:) Casual clothing came into the workplace during the .com boom of the late 90s, when our economy was doing just fine. What one wears on an interview now should depend on the type of job one is interviewing for - you want to fit in with your work environment. I confess that, having come of career age in the "Dress for Success" era of the late 1970's, I think that I would feel odd showing up for an interview in anything but a suit, but if I were interviewing at a company where casual attire is the norm, I would do it.

But back to the original topic. I don't find the dining room experience to be formal at all any more (compared to our first cruise in 1995), no matter what people are wearing. Service is usually rushed and harried, the food is just fair to middling most of the time and the waitstaff can only recite what the chef recommends before rushing off to take care of something else. We still dress formally when it's suggested, but this seasoned cruiser doesn't give a rat's patootie what anybody else wears as long as everybody has at least bathed (a dream, I know).

On any normal dining evening they might be ok but we always try to respect the dress code, especially on formal nights. Think Victorian, dress up, have fun. It's nice to dress and have class. Its what cruise formal nights are all about.

Archived