Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

One thing that we all have to realize is that not everyone can afford nicer clothing. Though this is not the case for everyone on the ship, it is very possible there are people who save a very long time and scrape money together just to be able to afford the ticket to get on the ship. Do I expect them to go spend another $100 or more that they don't have so they can dress to my standards? Absolutely not!

During my senior year of high school my grandmother passed away. One of my friends from school came to the visitation and funeral in his tennis shoes, jeans and a faded button down shirt he borrowed from his father. He even starched his jeans to try and make them look nicer.

Did I or anyone else make him feel uncomfortable or ask him to leave because he wasn't dressed "appropriately"? Absolutely not. I could never live with myself as a person if I had. His family was very poor, they just did not have the money to buy nicer or more formal clothes. Not to mention the fact that he had to walk a little over 1.5 miles to get to the funeral home. (I did give him a ride home by the way)

My entire family and I were grateful that he came to pay his respects and offer his condolences. That meant much more to us than what he was wearing.

So I guess my point is, I try not to judge people by what they are wearing.

Just because someone may not have nice clothes does not mean they should be forced to eat in the Windjammer the whole cruise.

*steps off of soapbox*

I figure that will be coming, but I don't care. Even poor or disadvantaged PEOPLE deserve a break or vacation from time to time because they are human beings with desires, feelings and needs just like everyone else. They deserve to be treated and respected just as everyone else does.

like.png

Your logic confuses me. I haven't seen too many posts from people that dressed as they wanted complaining that they were allowed to.:confused:

Maybe you are correct that not many do not follow dress suggestions. Maybe the exaggeration of the number doing it come from those complaining it is allowed.

I understood him to be saying they exaggerate the number of people that don't follow the rules.....so it goes to reason "everybody else is breaking the rules so I can too..." If only a few are breaking the rules, they don't have the "justification" to follow the crowd and break the rules...

One thing that we all have to realize is that not everyone can afford nicer clothing. Though this is not the case for everyone on the ship, it is very possible there are people who save a very long time and scrape money together just to be able to afford the ticket to get on the ship. Do I expect them to go spend another $100 or more that they don't have so they can dress to my standards? Absolutely not!

During my senior year of high school my grandmother passed away. One of my friends from school came to the visitation and funeral in his tennis shoes, jeans and a faded button down shirt he borrowed from his father. He even starched his jeans to try and make them look nicer.

Did I or anyone else make him feel uncomfortable or ask him to leave because he wasn't dressed "appropriately"? Absolutely not. I could never live with myself as a person if I had. His family was very poor, they just did not have the money to buy nicer or more formal clothes. Not to mention the fact that he had to walk a little over 1.5 miles to get to the funeral home. (I did give him a ride home by the way)

My entire family and I were grateful that he came to pay his respects and offer his condolences. That meant much more to us than what he was wearing.

So I guess my point is, I try not to judge people by what they are wearing.

Just because someone may not have nice clothes does not mean they should be forced to eat in the Windjammer the whole cruise.

*steps off of soapbox*

Wow.

As with everything else, we are forced to accommodate the lowest common denominator. Standards have fallen and people would rather ignore the guidelines and lower the standards of the MDR rather than skip it and hit WJ so that everyone else can enjoy a nice formal dinner for one or two nights on their cruise. Somehow the "casual" people have to be accommodated more than the other people on the ship.

/rant off

CHILL OUT!! No body is calling names!

But MY OPINION is that it is pretty petty and senile to bother about what OTHER people wear to dinner.

I'm as cool as I want to be, thank you. Last time I checked calling anyone senile was not a term of endearment. Also your song is stuck on petty and senile, LOL.

Or perhaps you just don't care or understand what petty and senile really means. And I don't care to hear any more of your silly opinions.

As with everything else, we are forced to accommodate the lowest common denominator. Standards have fallen and people would rather ignore the guidelines and lower the standards of the MDR rather than skip it and hit WJ so that everyone else can enjoy a nice formal dinner for one or two nights on their cruise. Somehow the "casual" people have to be accommodated more than the other people on the ship.

/rant off

Sometimes these "dress code" discussions confuse Formal Night in the MDR with other nights. My thoughts are: on a regular night just be presentable, wear what you'd wear for a nice dinner out at a medium sort of restaurant to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. For Formal Nights kick it up a notch or two or more if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your logic confuses me. I haven't seen too many posts from people that dressed as they wanted complaining that they were allowed to.:confused:

Maybe you are correct that not many do not follow dress suggestions. Maybe the exaggeration of the number doing it come from those complaining it is allowed.

LOL...sometimes I confuse myself :rolleyes: Yes, that's what I was trying to say.:o

Sometimes these "dress code" discussions confuse Formal Night in the MDR with other nights. My thoughts are: on a regular night just be presentable, wear what you'd wear for a nice dinner out at a medium sort of restaurant to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. For Formal Nights kick it up a notch or two or more if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, good explanation.

Also, I wonder about all of those rebels :) out there that prefer to, in their words "be comfortable". Isn't that a dress code? Everyone has their own dress code, it's just not always the one the 'formals' or the 'comfortables' agree with. Hmmmm... I also wonder what the common denominator is, or is not? You can't wear ONLY your bathing suit even at the WJ, so some minimum AMOUNT of clothing exists. :rolleyes:

Here is what is posted outside the MDR on 2 different ships...and I guess this is all they need to enforce....no mention of jeans....

\

\

These are the rules!!!!! This is the DRESS CODE......anything else is suggested...just like tropical night was....

DSC.jpg

GrabbedFrame8.jpg

Me Me Me Me Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Entitled Generation

We're talking about the folks that demand that other people dress a certain way, right?

" I thought we were talking about the rules set forth by the cruise line......silly me..... "

I thought they were warming up for a song.:)

From the Jewel of the Seas this past January (as someone posted on anothe thread):

DSC03266_zpsbbba6c1f.jpg

MOST MEN (APPROX 95%) can't read, don't understand, will not respect, or just don't give a dam. but they totally disregard smart casual night. too many don't even wear a jacket on formal night. :eek::eek: (i guess that is where they get the term WALMART CRUISERS)

MOST MEN (APPROX 95%) can't read, don't understand, will not respect, or just don't give a dam. but they totally disregard smart casual night. too many don't even wear a jacket on formal night. :eek::eek: (i guess that is where they get the term WALMART CRUISERS)

OK, I am a man, who can read. And for reference, I do always try to follow the suggested dress.

However, if you want to be accurate, the sign says wearing a jacket is suggested. It does not say required. What is required is no shorts, bathing suits, etc.

Could be a woman wrote the sign. :):)

OK, I am a man, who can read. And for reference, I do always try to follow the suggested dress.

However, if you want to be accurate, the sign says wearing a jacket is suggested. It does not say required. What is required is no shorts, bathing suits, etc.

Could be a woman wrote the sign. :):)

Perhaps the word “suggested” does not mean than it is suggested that you follow the code, but rather what is recommended as an example for each type of category.

So are these signs new? Regarding the Jewel sign – I am surprised that they still use a semi casual designation.

M

You keep saying Walmart cruiser. I would much rather sit next to a person in jeans and a T-shirt then someone in full formal wear who feels the need to belittle people by addressing them as Walmart cruisers.

And really, most men can't read? You seem to have this attitude that you are above everyone else.

You keep saying Walmart cruiser. I would much rather sit next to a person in jeans and a T-shirt then someone in full formal wear who feels the need to belittle people by addressing them as Walmart cruisers.

like.png

From the Jewel of the Seas this past January (as someone posted on anothe thread):

DSC03266_zpsbbba6c1f.jpg

Smart casual

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_casual

Everybody has their own designation of what constitutes appropriate wear for each category.

Smart casual to me does not mean a jacket or blazer, I take it to be a nice button up shirt.

The sign says semi-formal is a suit (I'm guessing no tie), and that formal is a suit and tie or a tux. I think if you're wearing a shirt and tie, that's semi-formal. If you're in a suit, that's formal.

These are just suggestions for what to wear. As long as you're not in a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops, I think you can pretty much wear what you please.

Perhaps the word “suggested” does not mean than it is suggested that you follow the code, but rather what is recommended as an example for each type of category.

M

You hit the nail on the head. That sums it up perfectly.

It doesnt matter how many signs they put up. As long as the word "suggested" is there and they dont even enforce the "suggestions" those signs are nothing more than a waste of money and space.

I had no idea RCI had 4 different Dress code suggestions. I have never seen Semi Formal on the cruises I have been on. I thought it was only Casual, Smart Casual and Formal.

I will wear casual dress clothes on Casual night, the same on Smart Casual night and either a Suit or Tux on Formal night but I could really NOT care less who wear jeans or whatever....It really cracks me up that so many get in such a tizzy over this as if its really ruining their cruise. There is as much if not more self entitlement to those type people as there are the "its my cruise and I will wear what i want' people.

Archived