Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

One one hand:

Everyone knows the rules before/when they book the cruise. They know that there is at least one formal night on a Royal Caribbean cruise. At that time either they should not book that cruise (there are other cruise lines with no-formal night options), comply with the guidelines, or make that the night that they will try out the more casual options.

Formal night, IMHO, is part of the "cruising experience." Although I do go on cruises for the relaxation, dressing up (love it or hate it) is something I do endure because it is part of the overall experience (and my wife loves it).

On the other hand:

Everyone pays for the cruise and should not be denied entry to the MDR as long as what they are wearing is clean and neat (e.g., jeans and either a golf shirt or button-down shirt (with or without tie)).

A cruise is where people go on vacation to relax -- spending the time to dress up and put on a tie and jacket (or a gown), is not their definition of relaxing.

If someone is that concerned about everyone being dressed formally, then book your next cruise on one of the upper-tiered cruise lines with mandatory (and enforced) dress codes.

Personally:

I have only been on a handful of crusies over the years and have always worn a tie and suit on formal nights (sorry, no tux). I have also always worn long pants (slacks/kakis) for dinners in the MDR. I have, on occasion, worn jeans to dinner, depending on the day (if casual dress night) & circumstances.

Although there are many threads on here about the proper dress code, in the few cruises I have been on, I do not really remember seeing what people were or were not wearing or who was breaking the dress code. My main focus (after my DW, of course), when in the MDR is concentrating on the menu and my food. When I walk in, it is nice to see people dressed up, and also nice later that evening to see some people still dressed walking around the ship. I think it adds to the atmosphere. If enough people begin to dress more casually, that atmosphere will eventually change. However, as I said, I really do not look around at people's attire, or care, what people are wearing. If you took a shower and wearing clean jeans and a shirt - sit down and enjoy the food.

Suggestions:

1) Everyone should receive a questionaire (when booking) asking if they will be dressing up or not for formal nights. Then the ship whould match each group of individuals to a particual dining level/room. This way everyone can choose how they want to dress on these nights with the golf shirt guy not sitting anywhere near the guy with the tux. Everyone gets to sit at some place in the MDR, and everyone is happy.

2) Decrease the number of formal nights. As I mentioned, I do like the formal night, but I would have no issue if there was only ONE formal night on a 7 day cruise. However, include a mandatory dress code for that one night [and do this in conjunction with my suggestion above].

I asked this question on Celebrity forum and got crazy answers.... I started the thread as kind of a fun "settle this marital argument" post, but was surprised at how passionate people were! Was told if DH wore jeans people would assume we are poor! And someone told us we should cruise a"lesser" quality cruise line if we were asking such a question. Too funny!

A guideline is not a rule. It is merely a suggestion of what is preferred, people may choose options different from from the guideline. Formal night is a guideline. There is room for leeway and interpretation. Or one could choose not to follow it. Without consequence.

A rule is not a guideline. Rules must be followed or there are consequences. You may not wear tank tops in the dining room, If you do, they may choose not to seat you (I've seen this example enforced). This is definitive, exact, clear, no room for leeway.

There, does that help? :p

Why is it no one asks if it is okay to dress up on casual night?

OWD

well, ok...can't argue...lol. i apolgize, i thought you were a female, with cotton capris.

This is what I wore

ry%3D400

It did say "Casual" in the suggested attire for the evening, so I thought this was ok but was wrong about it. Jeans were accepted.

well this is pretty casual...haha! maybe if you had put socks on? :p

Well, I wasn't quite sure what "Casual" meant. Since jeans & tees were acceptable on "Smart Casual" days, I kinda assumed "Casual" was a step lower. :D:D:D

OP here. Wow, really didn't mean to start this. Honestly, just wanted to know what the rules are. Just trying to figure out if I should put my jeans in my suitcase or not. Happy to follow the rules just really wanted to know what they were.

Ofcourse you can wear them! Dark jeans are very dressy.

As for shorts, flip flops, capris, or for that matter even a burka....wear anything decent that you want.....we accept and respect you for what you are, not what you wear! Let the fuddy duddy "seasoned" cruisers get their knickers in a twist if they want to! (assuming knickers are part of their "formal" attire:D)

We don't say what others should wear and we don't want others to say what we should wear. DH likes to dress up way too much. I am more on the casual side. Don't worry about it and be as you are.

I asked this question on Celebrity forum and got crazy answers.... I started the thread as kind of a fun "settle this marital argument" post, but was surprised at how passionate people were! Was told if DH wore jeans people would assume we are poor! And someone told us we should cruise a"lesser" quality cruise line if we were asking such a question. Too funny!

WOW! I just can't believe some of those posts either. WHAT does it matter what the person is wearing!!!!:D So petty and senile!

What the**** is a "seasoned cruiser"?

If you are a "sophisticated" cruiser, then you should expect a higher level of the same from your fellow cruisers and you are on the wrong cruiseline.

Here in the 21st century, I cruise with my wife. It is her opinion and hers alone that I care about. If you do not approve of my wardrobe at dinner, please find another table.

However, for the record I hate suits, tuxes, and collared shirts with ties. I refuse to wear them to work and prefer not to wear them on vacation. Weddings and funerals...maybe. My tuxedo was a thrift shop special $30.

My jeans, on the other hand, cost $90 on sale, with a coupon in Macy's.

It's my vacation. I have no problem with the no shorts, tanks or flipflops, but I'm not getting dressed up for dinner. My expensive jeans with a nice polo shirt looks great and is very comfortable.:D

This should not be an open debate. Like I said MY vacation, 'nuff said.

Smooth seas and folllowing winds.

If you are a "sophisticated" cruiser, then you should expect a higher level of the same from your fellow cruisers and you are on the wrong cruiseline.

Here in the 21st century, I cruise with my wife. It is her opinion and hers alone that I care about. If you do not approve of my wardrobe at dinner, please find another table.

However, for the record I hate suits, tuxes, and collared shirts with ties. I refuse to wear them to work and prefer not to wear them on vacation. Weddings and funerals...maybe. My tuxedo was a thrift shop special $30.

It's my vacation. I have no problem with the no shorts, tanks or flipflops, but I'm not getting dressed up for dinner. My expensive jeans with a nice polo shirt looks great and is very comfortable.:D

Maybe YOU Should consider purchasing a private yacht so YOU can do whatever YOU want on YOUR vacation and YOUR choices don't affect the people around YOU.

When we choose to sail with 2500-4000 other people we should respect them. One way we do that is by following the RECOMMENDATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS made by the organizers of our vacation community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I really don't care what others wear, it has no impact on me personally. I do know dressing up increases my confidence and improves my mood.

You ladies are beautiful in your gowns and sexy in dresses.

Some men, a disaster. You have one suit and one dress shirt that is OLD and fits like a rubber band. No wonder you hate them. Go to JCP buy a suit separate that actually fits for $200. No one can tell, if it fits. As for those that hate collars, buy one dress shirt with the proper neck size. S-M-L-XL is not a shirt size, it's a recipe for hating a dress shirt. Jeans are heavy and hot. A nice rayon lined sport suit is WAY more comfortable. Dockers are even more comfortable than jeans.

Wear what you want, but buy something that fits.

I see the word entitlement written all over this post.

WOW! I just can't believe some of those posts either. WHAT does it matter what the person is wearing!!!!:D So petty and senile!

Like I said, I don't really care what you wear. But you don't get to call people petty and senile for having an opinion. Name calling doesn't raise the level of the debate or prove you are correct.

Like I said, I don't really care what you wear.

...I bet you wouldn't say that when I show up at your table for dinner in my Speedo, wearing my stained "wife beater" T shirt with my underarm hair braided and dragging across the table.......:eek:.......everyone "cares" what other people wear at "their" table........;)

...I bet you wouldn't say that when I show up at your table for dinner in my Speedo, wearing my stained "wife beater" T shirt with my underarm hair braided and dragging across the table.......:eek:.......everyone "cares" what other people wear at "their" table........;)

Nope, everyone does not "care" I'm good with what you describe as long as the braided underarm hair isn't on my plate.

Me Me Me Me Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Entitled Generation

I have always wondered if any reps from RCI ever look at these posts? If so, how much influence these posts may have. Although a small percentage of cruisers actually use CC, this community does represent the thoughts of most cruisers overall -- and an even larger percentage of repeat (LOYAL) cruisers.

Note: I know that on Cunard cruiseline, they did listen to the complaints (I believe made directly to them - but maybe also on CC) about formal nights and had recently loosened their requirements for formal dining.

Well, As a Newbie to cruising and this forum, I have enjoyed reading the exchange on differing standards, people's definition of "Class" and how it somehow has to do with dressing for dinner. If you mean class, like on the Titanic, where they kept the "First Class" passengers separate from the unwashed masses, then I think there are other Cruise lines that you can frequent, from my Google searches. On this cruiseline we are "forced" to mingle with everyone, as unsavoury as that seems to be to some. To me, 'Class" is how you act, not what you wear, and those who look down their noses @ someone who wears a pair of clean, neat jeans is as absent of class as someone who has no consideration for those around them. I will bring my bluecollar family on this blue collar cruise line, we will be polite, have fun, and dress however we want. "however we want" is somewhere in the middle of the acceptable scale , fortunately. Please continue- I love sidelining tempests in teapots.

Well, As a Newbie to cruising and this forum, I have enjoyed reading the exchange on differing standards, people's definition of "Class" and how it somehow has to do with dressing for dinner. If you mean class, like on the Titanic, where they kept the "First Class" passengers separate from the unwashed masses, then I think there are other Cruise lines that you can frequent, from my Google searches. On this cruiseline we are "forced" to mingle with everyone, as unsavoury as that seems to be to some. To me, 'Class" is how you act, not what you wear, and those who look down their noses @ someone who wears a pair of clean, neat jeans is as absent of class as someone who has no consideration for those around them. I will bring my bluecollar family on this blue collar cruise line, we will be polite, have fun, and dress however we want. "however we want" is somewhere in the middle of the acceptable scale , fortunately. Please continue- I love sidelining tempests in teapots.

Me Me Me Me Me

Me pay. Me choose. You get to do the same.

However, when you choose it is stated on the cruise line website what is and is not acceptable. If you choose to sail with a cruise line, you are agreeing to follow their "rules", not your own.

While you have stated you will be within the guidelines, there are many out there that blatantly state they will break the rules, even after knowing what they have "chosen".

To the OP, nowhere does it state that jeans are not acceptable. Dress in what you feel is appropriate to follow the guidelines and you will be fine.

When we choose to sail with 2500-4000 other people we should respect them. One way we do that is by following the RECOMMENDATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS made by the organizers of our vacation community.

I'm not one who really notices anyone other than my beautiful DW and I have no idea what people were wearing on my most recent cruise, but you know what Sam, you make a great point. I live in a town where flip flops and shorts are acceptible church attire. If I can follow the guidelines on a cruise, anyone can. But then again, I still subscribe to sense of community, not sense of me. It's sad to see so many in society shifting their sense lately.

However, when you choose it is stated on the cruise line website what is and is not acceptable. If you choose to sail with a cruise line, you are agreeing to follow their "rules", not your own.

While you have stated you will be within the guidelines, there are many out there that blatantly state they will break the rules, even after knowing what they have "chosen".

To the OP, nowhere does it state that jeans are not acceptable. Dress in what you feel is appropriate to follow the guidelines and you will be fine.

This is my point. I choose to follow the "spirit" of the cruiseline's suggestion even if not the letter of it. "Class" is acting in such a way as to avoid offending others, it is contributing to everyone's enjoyment by being considerate. You can be without class by feeling entitled to flaunt community standards, however just because you wear a tuxedo, does not equal displaying class. Judging others who choose to dress outside norms is not classy, its elitest. I don't own a tuxedo (Gasp!), won't rent one for this. I will make sure I am wearing a collared shirt @ least and will expect my children to do the same. I know I'm not going to measure up to some "seasoned" and even some not so marinaded cruiser's standards. However, that is their problem. Hopefully they can stare @ their well manicured hands until we pass by.

Archived