Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

While I personally consider the term "fancy jeans" to be an oxymoron, it does seem that the cruise line will allow a less-casual pair when worn with an evening top , dressy shoes, and of course the right accessories can make any outfit glamorous!!

We prefer the ambience in the specialty restaurants to that in the MDR; it's usually less of a mixed bag. :p

i do believe you are correct. and a good friend of mine that is also a seasoned cruiser calls these new seasons "WALMART CRUISERS"....

i have seen these so called walmart cruisers-------they wear shorts, jeans, tank tops, baseball caps (some on backwards--what the he## is that) and god know what at dinner in the MDR. walmart for sure..

i do believe you are correct. and a good friend of mine that is also a seasoned cruiser calls these new seasons "WALMART CRUISERS"....[/quote

May or may not be "new seasons", but apparently some of you are sticking with the same ... OLD, ... TIRED, ... LAME, ... OVERUSED, .. . UNINTELLIGENT phrases. :rolleyes: No imagination? What a BORE.

May or may not be "new seasons", but apparently some of you are sticking with the same ... OLD, ... TIRED, ... LAME, ... OVERUSED, .. . UNINTELLIGENT phrases. :rolleyes: No imagination? What a BORE.

Agreed, its almost as old and tired as calling someone a "cheerleader".

Yawn!

I wonder how many times we have read the old clich'e,"It's my vacation and I will wear what I want to", or the oxymoron "dressy jeans".Some things never change.LOL

About as many times as people post "me me me " and "The Me generation" and "required vs suggested"

Just back from the Brilliance and I couldn't tell you what anyone wore for MTD. Not a single one. Oh yeah, there was a woman with a really cute coconut purse, that I noticed. DH and friend wore jeans on the first night and the last night.

People get all uptight about the dumbest stuff... on the OASIS, our WAITER in the MDR told us to "come as you are," when I told him I would not be there n formal night. The people who are trying to hang on to "traditional dress-up" are becoming the minority. Do as you please as you'll be fine. ;)

I am not a "seasoned" cruiser or trying to hang on to "traditional dress-up", but I do think I am "becoming the minority." I believe that if the cruise line sets a dress code...it should be followed. If it is formal night, either wear formal (and they go so far as to define formal so it is not left to the "do as you please" definition) or eat at the Windjammer. If the guidelines say no shorts in the MDR, then no shorts should be in the main dining room. We have become a society of "the rules don't apply to me." And this is just another example.....

I definitely believe "do as you please and you will be fine" is becoming the majority attitude....but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Like I said, I don't really care what you wear. But you don't get to call people petty and senile for having an opinion. Name calling doesn't raise the level of the debate or prove you are correct.

CHILL OUT!! No body is calling names!

But MY OPINION is that it is pretty petty and senile to bother about what OTHER people wear to dinner.

Thank you for your post. I totally agree with this.

I am not a "seasoned" cruiser or trying to hang on to "traditional dress-up", but I do think I am "becoming the minority." I believe that if the cruise line sets a dress code...it should be followed. If it is formal night, either wear formal (and they go so far as to define formal so it is not left to the "do as you please" definition) or eat at the Windjammer. If the guidelines say no shorts in the MDR, then no shorts should be in the main dining room. We have become a society of "the rules don't apply to me." And this is just another example.....

I definitely believe "do as you please and you will be fine" is becoming the majority attitude....but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

The answer to the OP's question is yes you can. The question that is implied is whether or not you "should" wear jeans.

I love it - everyone complains about luggage constraints yet my jeans weigh alot more than a nice pair of dress slacks, so I think that reason is bogus.

Yes, I am an old school cruiser - started cruising back in the late 1960's when gentlemen wore a tux or white dinner jacket every sea night and a jacket an tie on port evenings. Ladies wore evening dresses, minks and long white gloves on formal night and nice dresses or pantsuits on port evenings.

I hate to see how far it has degenerated these days on some lines, but I was pleasantly surprised by how dressed up passengers were on the Mariner in Jan. There were lots of tuxes on formal night in the MDR and in Chops and Giovanni's Table most gentlemen wore a sport coat and the ladies were in cocktail dresses, even on casual nights. (We ate 2 nights in Chops and 2 nights in Giovanni's + the wine dinner in Chops the last night.) The place where the dress code was not followed was in the Concierge Lounge in the evenings. There were always a few in baseball caps and shorts during the cocktail hours.

Can you wear jeans ? yes

Should you? - Not IMHO

Flame away

I agree.

I also have to say that I feel that some folks over exaggerate the number of people not following the dress code so to justify not doing so themselves. It has been our experience that the huge majority make an effort to dress nicely in the MDR. There will always be those that want to do their own thing but, I think that's normal. :)

Archived