Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

People get all uptight about the dumbest stuff... on the OASIS, our WAITER in the MDR told us to "come as you are," when I told him I would not be there n formal night. The people who are trying to hang on to "traditional dress-up" are becoming the minority. Do as you please as you'll be fine. ;)

So it's ok for you to do what you want but everyone else must follow what you say? Flip flops are specifically listed as an item that is not acceptable, jeans are not.

You chose to break the rules by wearing flip flops. I would much rather see someone in jeans then someone's ugly feet.

You can't tell people to follow rules that you yourself admit to breaking.

Get off your high horse my flip flops were with a tux, and by the way my feet are always manicured and much nicer than most straight women's hands. So I guess they should wear gloves.

Get off your high horse my flip flops were with a tux, and by the way my feet are always manicured and much nicer than most straight women's hands. So I guess they should wear gloves.

Doesn't matter. You are telling people to eat in the windjammer while breaking a rule yourself. That is the point. Regardless of how your feet look they specifically say no flip flops in the mdr. You don't get to pick and chose what rules are ok the break.

And for the record I couldn't care less what people wear. But don't tell people to eat elsewhere when you aren't following the rules either. It's hypocritical.

People get all uptight about the dumbest stuff... on the OASIS, our WAITER in the MDR told us to "come as you are," when I told him I would not be there n formal night. The people who are trying to hang on to "traditional dress-up" are becoming the minority. Do as you please as you'll be fine. ;)
I can only assume he had your tip in mind instead of what is expected. It is certainly NOT come as you are.:eek:

If you have to ask or think about it, then don't do it! And I agree if dress guideline suggests a dress code, people should follow them. If you don't want to dress appropriately, go into the Windjammer. Just my two cents worth...

I don't get your reasoning. :confused::confused::confused:

Flip flops are flip flops, no matter what you pair them with. :confused:

So if someone wears a tux/ballgown but doesn't shower or comb their hair, ... it's all good ... they're wearing a tux, etc. ? :rolleyes::confused:

I personally don't care what you wear ... as long as you are clean, don't smell, and the clothes fit. No underwear on display or wedgies up the wazoo.

it does matter to most of us that cruise a lot, respect dress guidelines, follow the rules, etc. etc. so don't say it doesn't matter much anymore, because to seasoned respectful cruisers it does.....

Not certain that I like your "seasoned cruiser" implication here. I'm seasoned, and I don't care how others are attired in the MDR. I have no authority over what others are wearing and I wont use my precious vacation time to major in the minors. You should do the same.

Huh? :confused:

are you saying you were turned away for wearing Capris??

I was turned back on Voyager of the Seas just a couple of days ago wearing 3/4 (covering knees) shorts during dinner and the suggested code for that evening was casual. I assumed it would have been ok reading the many posts regarding how lax they have been in recent years. No big issue as I went back to change into jeans which was ok.

There is a reason that Americans are seen as fashion "slobs".:(

I doubt it has anything to do with luggage issues, as many like to claim.

I'm guessing laziness is a big part of it.

On our last RCI cruise a woman came into the MDR wearing pajama bottoms with some strappy sandals.

Guess if you wear strappy sandals whatever you put on above them becomes "dressy" too?:rolleyes:

I hate to say it, but I must agree with you having just returned from Las Vegas and boy have things changed in 12 years! Sorry, but I was amazed and shocked on what people think is acceptable attire for some venues. Flip flops, shorts and a sleeveless t shirt for the theatre? The same for dinner? Some people look no different if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner.

It proves it is across the spectrum of venues and call me old fashioned if you wish, but standards are now in the gutter as far as I'm concerned.

However, I still ensure I have adequate clothing to follow the guidelines, and I'm one who can now have severe restrictions on baggage when travelling to the US for a 2 week vacation. One checked bag maximum 50lbs and one carry on of 13lbs max. However, I still manage to have clothes for breakfast, the pool, shore excursions and evening with space and weight to spare, so baggage restrictions are no excuse.

It's this entitlement mentality of 'I'm on vacation I'll do what I want' that is the problem and the fear by corporations of losing business. Where is the respect and consideration for others? There isn't any because it's 'all about me' these days.

That's my rant over, and you see it's not just confined to cruising' its everywhere from my experience.

To stir the pot even more, with the exception of a few resorts in Europe, I believe you will find Europeans still dress up more for dinner and other social events.

And after my long ramble, can you wear jeans in the MDR, of course, but IMHO (to which I'm entitled), do I like it, no. Will I look down on you if you can to my table in jeans, no, because we take MTD and eat at a table for 2!:D

My perception of appropriate dress changed about five years ago when I saw a very obese woman in a pair of stretch pants that had 5-6 inch bold flowers all over. It occurred to me that my new, dark wash classy looking jeans would be turned away (at that time) in the main DR while this person met the criteria. It made me realize that what we really need are fashion police.

I'm over 60 and bring a "nice dress" for formal nights and I would hope that those who were assigned to my table would make a good effort. I haven't been disappointed.

I hate to say it, but I must agree with you having just returned from Las Vegas and boy have things changed in 12 years! Sorry, but I was amazed and shocked on what people think is acceptable attire for some venues. Flip flops, shorts and a sleeveless t shirt for the theatre? The same for dinner? Some people look no different if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner.

It proves it is across the spectrum of venues and call me old fashioned if you wish, but standards are now in the gutter as far as I'm concerned.

However, I still ensure I have adequate clothing to follow the guidelines, and I'm one who can now have severe restrictions on baggage when travelling to the US for a 2 week vacation. One checked bag maximum 50lbs and one carry on of 13lbs max. However, I still manage to have clothes for breakfast, the pool, shore excursions and evening with space and weight to spare, so baggage restrictions are no excuse.

It's this entitlement mentality of 'I'm on vacation I'll do what I want' that is the problem and the fear by corporations of losing business. Where is the respect and consideration for others? There isn't any because it's 'all about me' these days.

That's my rant over, and you see it's not just confined to cruising' its everywhere from my experience.

To stir the pot even more, with the exception of a few resorts in Europe, I believe you will find Europeans still dress up more for dinner and other social events.

And after my long ramble, can you wear jeans in the MDR, of course, but IMHO (to which I'm entitled), do I like it, no. Will I look down on you if you can to my table in jeans, no, because we take MTD and eat at a table for 2!:D

I agree with everything you stated!!!! Class has gone out the window this days! Just because one is on vacation doesn't mean one needs to look like a slob. Is it really going to hurt anyone to dress up for the MDR?? I wish the cruise ships would enforce the dress code and not be concerned about passengers getting upset. It is a formal setting...white tablecloths, etc... I just don't understand why anyone would wear jeans... I personally feel you might even get treated better if you "look the part!" I remember we went to Ruth Chris steakhouse and I was shocked with what people were wearing... This is a 5 star restaurant..a la carte type of place and people were in jeans! One word as you stated... entitlement!!!! I get very heated over this topic and I might even be considered "young" but I still completely agree with dressing up.....

How many times must we debate the same old topic?

There's plenty of threads here about 'appropriate dress' and people's feelings about it. What can be said that hasn't already been said?

Time to lock this thread, especially when there gets to be some nasty exchanges going back and forth...

I agree with everything you stated!!!! Class has gone out the window this days! Just because one is on vacation doesn't mean one needs to look like a slob. Is it really going to hurt anyone to dress up for the MDR?? I wish the cruise ships would enforce the dress code and not be concerned about passengers getting upset. It is a formal setting...white tablecloths, etc... I just don't understand why anyone would wear jeans... I personally feel you might even get treated better if you "look the part!" I remember we went to Ruth Chris steakhouse and I was shocked with what people were wearing... This is a 5 star restaurant..a la carte type of place and people were in jeans! One word as you stated... entitlement!!!! I get very heated over this topic and I might even be considered "young" but I still completely agree with dressing up.....

Class has definitely gone out the window, for the most part. I don't really care much what other people wear, but I can never understand why someone would want to wear jeans, or shorts, or flip flops, etc. in a main dining room. I guess I was raised differently, so I just don't get that. I have never even packed a pair of jeans on all of my cruises, even when I was much younger. Ah, well, such is life...

I would prefer for people to follow the suggested attire, especially on formal night. For those of us who don't do formal very often it's a big treat. The more who participate the more fun. To those of you who do dress up, thank you for adding to my cruise experience by joining in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it does matter to most of us that cruise a lot, respect dress guidelines, follow the rules, etc. etc. so don't say it doesn't matter much anymore, because to seasoned respectful cruisers it does.....

Not to this seasoned cruiser

Class has definitely gone out the window, for the most part. I don't really care much what other people wear, but I can never understand why someone would want to wear jeans, or shorts, or flip flops, etc. in a main dining room. I guess I was raised differently, so I just don't get that. I have never even packed a pair of jeans on all of my cruises, even when I was much younger. Ah, well, such is life...

Agree, jeans are so bulky and heavy that they take up a lot more of my valuable luggage space than a few fun light weight sundresses. Why not pack a few of those and leave the jeans at home. (of course that works better for the female population!!)

Archived