Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

MOST MEN (APPROX 95%) can't read, don't understand, will not respect, or just don't give a dam. but they totally disregard smart casual night. too many don't even wear a jacket on formal night. :eek::eek: (i guess that is where they get the term WALMART CRUISERS)

I'm a man who can read and also knows how to spell damn in the context that you used it in. I'm also a WalMart shopper and I'll guarantee that we dress equally as well as you on any night of a cruise.

Fancy jeans is an oxymoron only if you limit your definition to denim. Nowadays, almost any fabric is cut and stitched in the manner of jeans; velvet, leather, silk, moleskin.

Some of y'all are joking about men and tuxedoes. Well, some of us women were born under a bad sign, or maybe we're the unwanted faery changelings. No matter how much finery we don, we leave the impression of an unmade bed. It's a curse. And, no way do we put strappy shoes on our Fred Flinstone feet. <sigh>

That being said, we always notch it up when we travel in Europe. Sadly, Americans are easily spotted. What about shore excursions? I work in jeans and sweatshirts, yet I'm kind of shocked by some of the photos posted of European excursions. I might not be able to pull off the Kate Middleton look, but I would never (except for a beach, maybe) go ashore in short shorts and a too-tight top, cut like a camisole. No, not even in my younger days.

Oh, my. I sound like my mother.

Perhaps the word “suggested” does not mean than it is suggested that you follow the code, but rather what is recommended as an example for each type of category.

So are these signs new? Regarding the Jewel sign – I am surprised that they still use a semi casual designation.

M

Thanks - you are one of the few who read the entire statement, not just pick up the "suggested" part of the dress code.

I really can't believe this thread is alive and kicking. How many times has it been resuscitated?

Never mind, but I've found a great excuse not to adhere to the suggested dress code, we in the UK don't understand most of the descriptions of attire mentioned on here nor in the Wikipedia description of smart casual so we can wear what we like :D

Dress pants? Are they a version of a ladies dress made for men?

Dress shirt? Is this another version of a ladies dress?

Dress socks? Mmm, need repeat the above? Didn't think so :D

Until the cruise industry recognise the world wide clientele they are now attracting in their suggested dress codes, they are liable to get all sorts of attire on the various 'themed' nights, because that's what they are in reality. :D

PS. we do wear tuxes for formal night!

Never mind, but I've found a great excuse not to adhere to the suggested dress code, we in the UK don't understand most of the descriptions of attire mentioned on here nor in the Wikipedia description of smart casual so we can wear what we like :D

Until the cruise industry recognise the world wide clientele they are now attracting in their suggested dress codes, they are liable to get all sorts of attire on the various 'themed' nights, because that's what they are in reality. :D

But you Brits are so much better versed in what is considered formal attire than your uncouth cousins across the pond you shouldn't need the suggestions provided by the cruise line. :D

Same for your baked potatoes.

Don't you call them jacketed potatoes?

No, where I live we call them baked potatoes. But what does that have to do with a dress code?:D or are you pointing out the differences with the language in the US compared to English? :D

But you Brits are so much better versed in what is considered formal attire than your uncouth cousins across the pond you shouldn't need the suggestions provided by the cruise line. :D
Yes, that's so true, thanks for the observation, but as mentioned many many times on CC, we are sailing on a US cruise line and so 'when in Rome' and all that,(including gratuities :D) we need to be mindful of the cultural requirements of the 'country' we are visiting and would hate to get it wrong. So RCI need to remember that for us 'foreigners' in order that we don't upset anyone. :D

No, where I live we call them baked potatoes. But what does that have to do with a dress code?:D or are you pointing out the differences with the language in the US compared to English? :D

We call them jacket potatoes - just to add a spanner to the works LOL :D

I really can't believe this thread is alive and kicking. How many times has it been resuscitated?

Just be careful if you happen to announce that you have a "jumper"..Americans may scurry to the rail to see who jumped ship.;)

I sailed jewel at the end of Dec and can attest that they DID NOT enforce the dress code in the MDR on ANY night

Of course they did not. One of many rulers they do not enforce. They need new signs and an updated website. Then-follow it. :cool:

Of course they did not. One of many rulers they do not enforce. They need new signs and an updated website. Then-follow it. :cool:

Does it really come as a surprise to those on CC that want a stricter dress code that RCI doesn't enforce it?

Maybe an unenforced sign is the only thing stopping MDR dress code armageddon.

Be careful what one asks for, they might get it.

Does it really come as a surprise to those on CC that want a stricter dress code that RCI doesn't enforce it?

Maybe an unenforced sign is the only thing stopping MDR dress code armageddon.

Be careful what one asks for, they might get it.

I'm just having some fun.

I really could care less what they enforce or don't enforce or how others dress. When I do go in the MDR I don't notice a thing as far as attire of others

Plenty of options where I can eat and be comfortable where dress code would not be a factor. Heck, I'm a huge WJ fan!! True MTD in comfort!!:D

What cracks me up is some that tell you to follow the rules. Look, read the sign. Yet, on other threads, different senario, blatantly breaking a rule that is in print.

Keeping up with the hypocrisy around here is entertaining!!:p

I'm just having some fun.

I really could care less what they enforce or don't enforce or how others dress. When I do go in the MDR I don't notice a thing as far as attire of others

Plenty of options where I can eat and be comfortable where dress code would not be a factor. Heck, I'm a huge WJ fan!! True MTD in comfort!!:D

What cracks me up is some that tell you to follow the rules. Look, read the sign. Yet, on other threads, different senario, blatantly breaking a rule that is in print.

Keeping up with the hypocrisy around here is entertaining!!:p

We are on the same page for dress codes and many other issues.:)

Why? It is only a SUGGESTION not a requirement. We will be eating in the MDR in shorts and be comfortable and happy while in the caribbean.

On our cruises, they have specified "no shorts" in the dining room. I don't care what you wear but I'd be prepared to change, just in case. While jeans don't seem to be an issue, people do sometimes get turned away for wearing shorts.

Regarding the use of the word "suggestion". Any time we attend an event (cruise or otherwise) we try and follow the dress suggestion. I realize that not everyone does that but it gives me peace of mind that I won't be over or under dressed for the event. I would feel awkward to show up at a table wearing shorts when everyone else was dressed more formally. I realize that some wouldn't be bothered in the least.

We cruise with our kids and we "require" them to dress according to the "suggestions". Since we are paying, they comply!

1. There is a "Suggested Attire" for specific Dining Venues, once would hope that fellow cruisers. where possible would try to adhere to the guidelines.

2. Then we have items are are listed as "Not Permitted" in those dining venues, again folks should just use commmon sense and try to be respectful (where possible)

My "where possible " covers lost luggage, etc"

Happy Cruising

you keep saying walmart cruiser. I would much rather sit next to a person in jeans and a t-shirt then someone in full formal wear who feels the need to belittle people by addressing them as walmart cruisers.

And really, most men can't read? You seem to have this attitude that you are above everyone else.

Just my thoughts!!!!

MOST MEN (APPROX 95%) can't read, don't understand, will not respect, or just don't give a dam. but they totally disregard smart casual night. too many don't even wear a jacket on formal night. :eek::eek: (i guess that is where they get the term WALMART CRUISERS)

I just don't understand this! Just what kind of a nasty comment is this??? "95% of men cannot read or just don't give a damn????" You must be stuck with one of that kind to make that observation! I feel sorry for you.

I just don't understand this! Just what kind of a nasty comment is this??? "95% of men cannot read or just don't give a damn????" You must be stuck with one of that kind to make that observation! I feel sorry for you.

And him.

5%er:eek:

Let me start by saying that my hubby and I love to dress up for dinner on the cruises we have been on. Formal night no exception. Nice suit for my hubby, long gown for me:)

BUT, on my upcoming Explorer cruise, less than 2 weeks away, I may wear a nice pair of jeans to the MDR on the first night. It is a motorcycle cruise for us. Taking our Harley on board and riding the islands. Cruising and riding your own bike on the islands is our perfect vacation.

So, the first night, I may wear a pair of jeans, a nice shirt, AND (gasp:eek:), a leather vest!!! Oh the horror;) Our vests are adorned with pins that show the different benefit rides we have done. Mostly Rolling Thunder (MIA, POW), and Operation God Bless America (for the veteran's in our VA hospital). Also numerous pins that show the different places that we have visited on our travels.

If this horrifies you, please turn your heads, stick up your noses, do whatever makes you feel like the better person. It's okay by me. No worry about us being seated at your table. The motorcycle group will all be seated together!

If you are one's that are interested in our "bedazzled" vests, please strike up a conversation. We love to talk about our travels!!

Interesting quote I found today......

“Not everyone thinks the way you think, knows the things you know, believes

the things you believe, nor acts the way you would act. Remember this and you will go a long way in getting along with people.”

Archived