Can I wear fancy jeans in the dining room?

ebrasl

No. Maybe the way I typed it wasnt clear but that wasnt what I was talking about at all.

Im talking about those CC'ers here that have their own set of self imposed rules and they tell someone that jeans arent allowed at all or are not allowed on formal night.

They most certainly are allowed in the MDR. Even on formal nights.

In fact, go to the head waiter or just your waiter next time on board and tell him you wont be in the MDR because all you have besides shorts to dress in are jeans......I will bet a months paycheck they tell you to come on to dinner anyway.

Then I apologize for my assumption.

No. Maybe the way I typed it wasnt clear but that wasnt what I was talking about at all.

Im talking about those CC'ers here that have their own set of self imposed rules and they tell someone that jeans arent allowed at all or are not allowed on formal night.

They most certainly are allowed in the MDR. Even on formal nights.

In fact, go to the head waiter or just your waiter next time on board and tell him you wont be in the MDR because all you have besides shorts to dress in are jeans......I will bet a months paycheck they tell you to come on to dinner anyway.

I disagree.:) Casual clothing came into the workplace during the .com boom of the late 90s, when our economy was doing just fine. What one wears on an interview now should depend on the type of job one is interviewing for - you want to fit in with your work environment. I confess that, having come of career age in the "Dress for Success" era of the late 1970's, I think that I would feel odd showing up for an interview in anything but a suit, but if I were interviewing at a company where casual attire is the norm, I would do it.

But back to the original topic. I don't find the dining room experience to be formal at all any more (compared to our first cruise in 1995), no matter what people are wearing. Service is usually rushed and harried, the food is just fair to middling most of the time and the waitstaff can only recite what the chef recommends before rushing off to take care of something else. We still dress formally when it's suggested, but this seasoned cruiser doesn't give a rat's patootie what anybody else wears as long as everybody has at least bathed (a dream, I know).

I'm going to have to disagree with you as well.

For sake of argument, the economy seemed to be doing well in the late 90's. We were in reality living on borrowed time. Companies had already started off-shoring manufacturing to the east and we were largely living on vapors of the past. Economic prosperity is derived from adding value and manufacturing. A service economy cannot thrive on its own. The economy will not rebound anytime fast until things change (i.e., a manufacturing base returns to the country).

Until we start picking ourselves up and expecting more of ourselves, we'll continue to have a crappy economy and "classy jeans" in the MDR.

We just returned from our cruise, and before we left I was very interested in what people had to say about the MDR dress codes. From the sounds of many of the posts I thought that the people dressing up, especially for formal nights, would be in the minority. That certainly wasn't the case on our cruise! I would say most people did follow the dress recommendations every night. I really didn't notice who was NOT wearing what they were "recommended" to wear, but what I did notice was how fantastic most of the people that did looked! It seemed to me that the majority of the people at our seating (late) were dressed up for formal night - many tuxes, more suits that I expected, lots of sports jackets, and if not that, then for sure dress shirts and ties, and lots of bling and great dresses on the women, especially the younger ones!

To me a cruise is outside the box of my everyday life. I wear jeans and t-shirts to work every day, so for me I so look forward to glamming it up a bit! If wearing jeans is what you want to do every day of your cruise, it's up to you. It certainly wouldn't ruin my vacation. I'm just happy for the opportunity to look a little nicer and not feel like I'm on one of our camping vacations (not that I mind those vacations either!)

Wow, I've read this thread with much interest. There are many varied opinions on dress - so I thought I might as well express mine too. :)

Our family embraced cruising just a few years ago, and my DW and I go on an average of two cruises per year. Once per year, we try to get away by ourselves. And, on the second, we travel with extended family and lots of kids (ages from 5 through 15). Simply put, we enjoy dressing up for dinners and other occassions. We make sure all of the children are "appropriately" dressed. For us, it adds to the festivities of the vacation. We've cruised so far on Royal, Celebrity, Princess and Norwegian. I think each line does different things well but one thing I don't particularly enjoy with Norwegian is that they've gone too casual.

For me, IMHO (and I know a lot of people will disagree), it kind of speaks to where we in NA have gone economically. We are run down and don't take pride in our abilities or how we look. The dining experience in the MDR is by its nature more formal than casual. And yes, as long as the cruise lines tolerate casual, then you can choose to do so. However, I wouldn't show up to an important business meeting or an interview in my "fancy jeans" nor would most people.

As many people state, casual is the trend today. Well, trends change and, at some point, the pendulum will swing back and people will start caring again about how they look, talk and are perceived. So, I'm looking forward to that future. Until that time, enjoy your fancy jeans.

Cheers,

Aaron

Comparing a job interview to the mdr is apples to oranges.

And I guess I just don't understand why people think wearing jeans equals looking like a slob. For example I was watching the country music awards last night. Blake shelton was one of the hosts. He wore a tie, vest, jacket, cowboy boots with a pair of dark jeans. He did not look sloppy or uncaring towards his appearance. IMO he looked very nice. And this was a formal event with women in long evening gowns. People assume jeans=just come off the farm feeding the goats when that isn't the case.

Apples and oranges are both fruits that grow on trees. The average apple and orange are similar in size. Somewhat surprisingly, they have a similar pH (I tend to think of oranges as being more acidic). Both are good sources of dietary fiber and antioxidants.

**It's kind of a peeve of mine, when people try to squash any kind of comparison or analogy by saying it's like comparing apples and oranges. Seems like a rather ignorant approach to discussion. It is perfectly valid to compare things, even though they're not exactly the same. In fact, it's rather pointless to make a comparison to things that are exactly the same. What can you say, except that they're exactly the same.**

I'm picturing the maitre d' looking someone up and down and telling them "sorry madam, your jeans are not 'fancy' enough". They can't or won't enforce the dress codes as written, and now we want them to make judegment calls as to whose duds are "fancy" or "classy" enough?

And to those who say "I don't even notice what others are wearing", may I suggest try rubbing your eyes? Of course you do!!

Yes, by all means, wear what you like.

My personal opinion: I have worn enough jeans to last two lifetimes during the first two decades of my life. For me "grown-up" clothes are much more attractive and stylish, and take up less room in my suitcase. Again, just stating my personal opinion.

Teddie

And to those who say "I don't even notice what others are wearing", may I suggest try rubbing your eyes? Of course you do!!

According to the horror stories about the mdr fashion rebellion most don't seem to notice what they are wearing.

Why would they notice what someone else is wearing?

We were on the Allure last year and avoided wearing jeans, even 'classy' jeans. Many of the other guests wore what the hell they liked.

We found the loud drunks more annoying than the slobs rebelling against any perceived dress code.

And since I'm chucking posts, I suppose I will offer my actual opinion. I dress for dinner. In a dress. It is comfortable, attractive, and cooler than wearing heavy jeans in the Caribbean. Plus, I agree with Teddie about fitting in the suitcase

I'm picturing the maitre d' looking someone up and down and telling them "sorry madam, your jeans are not 'fancy' enough". They can't or won't enforce the dress codes as written, and now we want them to make judegment calls as to whose duds are "fancy" or "classy" enough?

$10 worth of rhinestones on $15 jeans does not make them "fancy"...just sayin' :D

Be that as it may, you can notice without judgement. However I do feel free to think to myself "What was he/she thinking?" even for outfits that fit comfortably within the dress guidelines.

The one and only time I was tempted to say something,but thought better of it, was on formal night on a Princess cruise. We were on anytime dining and we were seated with three other couples, two of whom were dressed accordingly. The other couple was dressed very nice for smart casual night. I turned to say hello and before I could say a word he angrily flashed his elite (equivalent to diamond and above) card at me. The message apparently was I am special and do not need to follow the rules. :mad: If he wasn't so defensive I wouldn't be tempted to say something.

$10 worth of rhinestones on $15 jeans does not make them "fancy"...just sayin' :D

Be that as it may, you can notice without judgement. However I do feel free to think to myself "What was he/she thinking?" even for outfits that fit comfortably within the dress guidelines.

The one and only time I was tempted to say something,but thought better of it, was on formal night on a Princess cruise. We were on anytime dining and we were seated with three other couples, two of whom were dressed accordingly. The other couple was dressed very nice for smart casual night. I turned to say hello and before I could say a word he angrily flashed his elite (equivalent to diamond and above) card at me. The message apparently was I am special and do not need to follow the rules. :mad: If he wasn't so defensive I wouldn't be tempted to say something.

$10 jeans on the right body can be better than $200 jeans on the wrong body. ;)

I love it when people get uptight on these threads. I really hope these people aren't as uptight when they are on vacation. On different cruise lines, people follow the dress codes differently. I haven't found a line yet where the way people dress at dinner would impact my choice of booking a cruise with that line.

I also never bring or wear jeans in the Caribbean and don't understand the attraction of wearing them? A nice pair of black pants will do the same - and can be dressed up or down? with either flats/heels/sandals or flip flops - way more versatile in my opinion and easier to pack and wear :)

I also never bring or wear jeans in the Caribbean and don't understand the attraction of wearing them? A nice pair of black pants will do the same - and can be dressed up or down? with either flats/heels/sandals or flip flops - way more versatile in my opinion and easier to pack and wear :)

For me (back when my favorite wardrobe was jeans and a t-shirt) the attraction was a couple pairs of jeans would get me through the week....whether accurate or not, it seemed jeans could be worn for days on end...while a nice pair of black pants look disheveled after a day or two.....since I was not into ironing "back in the day" jeans won out. Now, those black (or brown or gray or navy) pants are a lot more comfortable ... even if I do have to launder or iron more often!

I believe those who flaunt the dress guidelines and brag about it are guilty of reverse snobbery. They are looking down their noses at those who comply like their rebellion somehow makes them a superior being. :rolleyes:

And I guess I just don't understand why people think wearing jeans equals looking like a slob. For example I was watching the country music awards last night. Blake shelton was one of the hosts. He wore a tie, vest, jacket, cowboy boots with a pair of dark jeans. He did not look sloppy or uncaring towards his appearance. IMO he looked very nice. And this was a formal event with women in long evening gowns. People assume jeans=just come off the farm feeding the goats when that isn't the case.

Sorry I have to disagree, it's not an apples to oranges thing. Maybe jeans + shirt + vest + string tie + jacket + cowboy boots and hat = country chic but it doesn't equal smart casual or business casual and will never equal formal. Jeans can look great but IMHO they don't belong in the MDR.

Maybe the cruise lines should try something different and have an "anything goes" sitting and one that follows the traditional dress codes. Maybe that would satisfy everyone (though I doubt it).

Wow. :eek: Remarkable thread. Still going for days....LOL

My DH and I enjoy dressing up for dinner (dressy for us is our "Sunday church clothes"), but that's just the culture of our family and friends. Never have we ever judged, or so much as taken a second look at anyone who was "less dressed" than we...whatever less-dressed is.

I'm there for a 1 to 1 and a half hour meal with my travel companions, and I'm out of there. I won't toss my meal if someone at the table across from me is wearing flip-flops with their tux, or a wife-beater and overalls. Dang it, I'm on VACATION! For those extreme must have the absolute best, all day, everyday on their cruise....there's Silversea, Crystal, Oceania, Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas. I hear they won't let you down. For the ones who don't care to dress up, ever, and don't want to be concerned about what anybody thinks, Norwegian markets themselves as a "cruise your way" line. For the rest, relax and just DO YOU! Happy dining, happy cruising! :D

Too hot and too heavy to bother for the Caribbean cruises or a week Bermuda I have been on....

Left them home again last year for the 12 day Med......

On the plane to Europe and back

wore khakis with a really cozy waistband...

The only cruise I brought jeans to: was the 4 day (that turned into 6) on the Hurricane Sandy Bermuda cruise that went to Boston instead..

EVERYONE was cold!!! Felt bad for the B2B people.....cause they did not pack for colder weather...

I brought gloves/hat and had to use them a few times...

bernadette

I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned because when I think jeans, the last word that comes to mind is "fancy." And I can't tell an expensive pair of jeans from the ones I buy at K-Mart. Too bad Minnie Pearl still isn't around to help me out!!!!:D

(You'll know who Minnie Pearl was if you grew up when jeans were considered work garments that weren't "fancy" or "dressy" or "expensive."):):)

I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned because when I think jeans, the last word that comes to mind is "fancy." And I can't tell an expensive pair of jeans from the ones I buy at K-Mart. Too bad Minnie Pearl still isn't around to help me out!!!!:D

(You'll know who Minnie Pearl was if you grew up when jeans were considered work garments that weren't "fancy" or "dressy" or "expensive."):):)

When I was in high school boys could not wear jeans to school because they were considered "work" clothes. Girls couldn't wear any type of slacks.

When I was in high school boys could not wear jeans to school because they were considered "work" clothes. Girls couldn't wear any type of slacks.

When I was in high school, Truman was President and only the very wealthy cruised. Fortunately things have changed and even us poor folks, who consider jeans dressy, can afford to cruise.

Archived