Statendam to hawaii, tahiti and marquesas islands

kenorus

Okay so we are thinking of booking this for next february. Need lots of input on the ship, weather at this time, and is it more a beachy trip as the cruise consultant said it was. Does the statendam do the drink packages on this cruise since it is a longer cruise. All the input will help make us decide. thanks

We are looking at this date too, but we are hoping the rates come down to closer to what the rates were for the Apr. 6 Westerdam cruise. Not likely to get those rates but at least Hal could get a little closer.

Okay so we are thinking of booking this for next february. Need lots of input on the ship, weather at this time, and is it more a beachy trip as the cruise consultant said it was. Does the statendam do the drink packages on this cruise since it is a longer cruise. All the input will help make us decide. thanks

The ship is one of our favorites. Yes this itinary is pretty much a beachlover's destination. I there is a roll call for this cruise http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758433 (I hope this link works) I also would refer you to the ports of call boards for great info on weather http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104 I don't know if Statendam has a drink package. I can tell you that we were on Statendam thru the Panama Canal for 17 days and did this 30 day cruise on Rotterdam and loved both the ship and this cruise. (I am looking at the 30 day cruise in Oct because I believe the weather will be better, but I could be wrong.) Any other questions post them I'm sure someone on the boards can help.

Helen

We are looking at this date too, but we are hoping the rates come down to closer to what the rates were for the Apr. 6 Westerdam cruise. Not likely to get those rates but at least Hal could get a little closer.

I agree. I think the rates are very high. I am also hoping the rates come down on the October 4th cruise.

Helen

We sailed Statendam to Hawaii. Nice ship. However, we always sail in April. I'm thinking you may get more rain in Feb. than a later date.

I'm not sure about the drink package, but we did have it when we sailed Zaandam to Hawaii.

We love, love, love these Hawaii cruises. We have done 3 of them, and are planning a fourth. :)

The 1st day crossing, and the 1st day crossing back, usually have the bumpiest seas. No matter when you go, the tradewinds will rock you a bit. We like it though.

Pat

We have done two Hawaii cruises on the Zaandam and Oosterdam. Agree Apr. was a good time, but Feb had an extra day in Hawaii. The cost will determine which one we take. We need 51 days to reach 200 so one of these cruises will give us a good jump towards our target.

HAL will likely lower the pricing closer to the sail date, if the ship is not filling well. That is why the Westerdam April 6 is so low right now: they need to fill the ship. It didn't start out with the current pricing and has come down a few times.

We went in March last year on the Rotterdam and had great weather the entire trip and the seas were also nice except for the first two days out of San Diego. This year we went to Hawaii in February on the Zaandam and had rough seas with 10 feet waves just about the entire trip. Also was so windy that we didn't spent the time out on the deck like we did on the Rotterdam in March.

We did have some rain on Hilo and Maui, but sunny days on Oahu and Kauai. Plus, February is in the middle of the cyclone season in the Southern Hemisphere. So is March, but it is the tail end of the season

I have a FCD just waiting to be applied to a cruise. We very much want to do this cruise, our major decision is which one, Feb. or Apr.?

I think I would go with April, as the weather can be rainy, windy and grey in Febraury. No guarentee either way, of course. This is an excellent cruise, one of the best we have done!

Hope you do one of these and get that much closer to 4 star!!

Regarding the cost of the Statendam vs what we paid for the upcoming similar cruise on the Westerdam.....one needs to keep in mind that they are totally different vessels. The Westerdam (and her sister ships) have quite a few veranda cabins wheras the older Statendam design has only a limited number of verandas (this is a problem with quite a few HA ships). We were able to get a balcony cabin on the Westerdam for about half the cost of a balcony on the Statendam (which only has veranda suites). I should add that we got a very good deal on the Westerdam....but did it by booking at the last minute (inside the final booking period).

Hank

We just took the trip from San Diego to Hawaii and Tahiti this past February. We wanted to see the whales in Maui. We had pretty good weather. Did have kind of a rainy day in Papette, and some moderate seas. The Polynesian Islands were lovely and great for snorkeling. There are quite a few sea days transporting between San Diego and Tahiti, but we like sea days, so there was no problems.

I really would like to book this trip but i really do like warmer temperatures. I dont mind rough seas as we are use to that. Never have anything other than a balcony cabin either so that might be a problem.

I really would like to book this trip but i really do like warmer temperatures. I dont mind rough seas as we are use to that. Never have anything other than a balcony cabin either so that might be a problem.

This cruise is either warm or hot, no matter when, in the ports. At sea it can be cooler because of the wind.

We were on the Oosterdam in February of 2012 where we ran into this enormous storm with rocky seas, huge waves and howling winds to the point where all the decks were closed off. It was so bad it took five days to get there instead of four and we had to miss Hilo as a port. Fortunately, we weren't bothered by the motion, but every day that went by saw fewer and fewer people in the dining room and around and about the ship! Returning, it was just calm and warm and mostly sunny and with no roaring gales blowing.

This February we did the same trip on Zaandam (we really like sea days!) and it was calmer than last year, but still a little rock and rolley... Loved it!

Regarding the cost of the Statendam vs what we paid for the upcoming similar cruise on the Westerdam.....one needs to keep in mind that they are totally different vessels. The Westerdam (and her sister ships) have quite a few veranda cabins wheras the older Statendam design has only a limited number of verandas (this is a problem with quite a few HA ships). We were able to get a balcony cabin on the Westerdam for about half the cost of a balcony on the Statendam (which only has veranda suites). I should add that we got a very good deal on the Westerdam....but did it by booking at the last minute (inside the final booking period).

Hank

That is not problem for us, we are not interested in a balcony cabin. We for most of our cruises book inside cabins, but the cost of the inside cabins are fairly high right now too.

I knew they were entirely different ships. Thank you though for your advice. I am going to try and patiently waite.

The weather in April for the San Diego - Hawaii crossing is much better than in February.

Janaury, February, March are the rainy months on the west coast.

You can always check the weather online, and get the monthly averages for your ports.

I did this trip on Statendam this past Nov/Dec. The weather was warm and often humid, even while in Hawaii (which is often breezier and not so humid). The Zaandam, just a few days behind heading to Hawaii from San Diego, had rough seas. The Pacific is a lot of real estate to generalize more than typical seasonal weather patterns.

Hawaii has bountiful options, and I even hired a private guide with a lux SUV to tour us about. Tour options from beach, shopping, recreation, cultural, historical, scenic seemed endless. After dozens of trips to Hawaii, I finally made Pearl Harbor a check on my bucket list.

After Hawaii, the Tahitian islands are mostly lush volcanic peaks surrounded by reefs and small atolls. A few stops are smaller island are atolls around reef bourne islands. The perimeter of the main islands are the main roads and most waterfront is rocky / lava. Beaches usually are a boat trip to the barrier reefs outside the inner lagoons and bays to sandy spits. They are often pristine, natural and undeveloped. Many go to the resorts and use the beach facility, very natural and often for a fee. Most tours are focused on snorkeling, boat rides and local operators, yet offer magnificent views (but weather can change rapidly). The interior of the islands are lush jungle and plantations between steep peaks. An open air canopy truck is an adventure to see the interior. Moorea in particular is paradise (be sure to try the imperial pineapple grown on the plantation there...sweet, creamy and not acidic). There are smatterings of small villages, resorts of stilt huts right on the water and some local one or two room museums, churches and markets. The people are warm and friendly and goods generally expensive (especially the often mentioned Tahitian Pearls). Papeete is the exception as it is a commercial port, capital and congested. It has the flavor of many southeast Asia urban areas.

After the Tahitian islands, the Marquesas are an even more remote cluster of mostly volcanic remnants. Again, beaches are not abundant in the port stops, but the water is crystal and boat tours are common. Roads are minimal and local villages are less than a dozen structures. Some stops are devoid of development.

I found most active people went snorkeling, swimming, shark viewing, etc. Less active explored the small villages near the ship / tender port. Aside from Hawaii & Papeete, there are not a lot of formal tour operations...mostly local fare and vendors with a truck or small boat. But it does reflect the locale and culture. Some on my cruise were 'surprised' with the relative remoteness. I wondered if they expected a Diamonds International, Little Switzerland and the like to be greeting them?

On our trip we missed our call to Christmas Island as the entryway had silted up and I wonder if it has yet been cleared for larger ships. It was a shame as we were there in December, which is known for the 'March of the Red Crabs!'.

Do some internet research for visual expectations, and if you are looking for more than swimming / snorkeling, do some research on culture and sites you may wish to visit independently.

It was a wonderful, relaxing and visually exotic trip for me. It has lots of sea time and we were fortunate with mild seas. It starts off with a nice 5 day sail to Hawaii. Hawaii is loaded with options and activity. Then a group of several sea days to cross the equator and dateline (odd loss and repeat of days there), and Papeete will be another spark of civilization. Then it is remote, beautiful islands, slow paced, sea days and an opportunity to lose track of the day, or even the weeks.

In a phrase, this was an itinerary of 'Less is More'.

Archived