Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

Hello,

Blaye seems to have an infrastructure-related problem. I recall reading (with my limited French I must point out) an article in the Bordeaux region newspaper that the authorities are discussing the infrastructure and docking stations for the river cruises. I read it as: "more river cruises, more ships - hm, better build another docking station."

So, this year's itinerary, for me, sounds rushed.

About the ship length, I do wonder how that has happend and what the official parties concerned will do about it.

After all, apart from CroisiEurope with its 110-m-vessels, there have been smaller boats sailing for 2000 years (and more). One learns from experience, doesn't one? :confused:

The bridge is over 100 years old, neither new nor very old, then. There are going to be some alterations to the bridge at Bordeaux (information obtained from a French website), scheduled for 2014 and 2015, I wonder if that has any effect on the river cruises.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Additional information

Thank you for your question, Stratheden. Our new Bordeaux program has been operating well, and the current cruise is doing fine. Cruising on the Garonne, Dordogne and Gironde is a remarkable experience, and our nautical team is fully prepared for the unique challenges these tidal rivers can present. Our ship, the River Royale, is 110 meters in length, which makes it much easier to pass under the Pont de Pierre bridge in Bordeaux and then sail successfully on the Garonne upstream to the port of Cadillac and the distinctive wine region of Sauternes.

Thank you again, and if there are any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at customerservice@uniworld.com.

With kind regards,

THE UNIWORLD TEAM

Thank you, Uniworld, for replying very promptly to Stratheden's question. I find your answer very informative.

I know that locks restrict the width of vessels and deep draught, of course, can be hinderance for sailing, but I did not know that length might have an impact on sailing under bridges.

notamermaid

Thanks to all who have been contributing to this roll call, especially FotoPeg for organizing us all. I'd been waiting to read about the first weeks and caught up this morning. Boy did I!

I can say that I am now more relaxed (rather than resigned) about our upcoming trip. It looks like there is now more cruising and maybe the bridge issue will be resolved by July! The weather cannot be guaranteed! Remember one recent summer when there was record flooding in Europe and many "cruises" operated by bus?

We will be leaving Pennsylvania on June 24th for Dublin and then Paris, and traveling to Bordeaux by train the morning of July 5th.

I'm looking forward to following the posts of those of you who will travel before us! I'd like to learn more about the excursions and optional excursions. I naively thought that river cruising did away with the "optional high priced" activities of ocean cruising!

magellan2022 ~ thanks for the Thank You!!! I'll add you to our Roll Call!!!

Question - did you buy your train tickets for Bordeaux yet?? We're planning on taking the train on October 4th from Paris to Bordeaux and I'm going to try getting tickets on line using Hank's suggested site. Wondering what you're doing.

I'll also look forward to hearing all about your trip - we also be going to Paris pre-cruise!!! And hope your cruise is great!!!!

indianrider ~ in the past, we've bought our tickets from RailEurope - once had them sent, second time used available E-printing. But Hlitner (Hank) post began the thread below on the French part of Ports of Call forum:

French Railroad (SNCF) Money Saving Tip - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Our tickets aren't available until 90 days out - July 4th, for our cruise. So I can't say if his suggestion will work but I'm going to try what he outlines in his first post. Not sure if it includes Paris to Milan but you can give it a try.

I also tried to get tickets but 90 days out seems to be the rule. We have set up an email from the train website for a reminder to book within 3 months. Nothing else seems to work. Thank you once again for your wealth of experience and knowledge. We owe you a cocktail if we ever cross paths!

Aloha!

We are probably walking side by side on tours. We also did Lynch Bage and the evening tour in Bordeaux. Are doing The Chateau lunch today.. Just docking now in Libourne.

Still no complaints except the weather...but it is April, so showers are inevitable.

Another note for all...this is a beautiful ship! And the staff are incredible!

I am going on the Market Tour tomorrow morning. Please look for a redhead and say hello. There is usually just one or two. :)

I will do a recap when back home.

FotoPeg is absolutely right. I had no trouble booking tickets yesterday morning for our July 5th train through RailEurope, as directed above. The cost was $138 (2nd class) for the 10:25-1:42 (3hr 17min). The tickets are printed! Don't forget to click on the >60 fare if you qualify!

Thought you might want to check out this story -- just posted this morning -- offering a behind-the-scenes look at how Viking actually put together the Bordeaux itinerary. It's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1617

Carolyn

Well they certainly spent a lot of time on the food, wine, truffles and excursion guides. Not sure about the river and it's problems. One paragraph that caught my eye was

"That’s not to say that Viking River still doesn’t face challenges as it introduces this all-new region of France to river cruisers. There are caveats. While Bordeaux's waterways are scenic, not as much time is spent cruising as on Viking's bigger, more traditional Rhine, Danube or Rhone itineraries. Also, being located right off the Atlantic, tidal surges, particularly in spring, are highly uneven and can, from time to time, affect the ships’ abilities to make it to every port. In that case, passengers would likely find themselves with a little more time docked in the heart of the city of Bordeaux and a lot more time on the tour bus."

Pity they didn't tell prospective passengers prior to them booking.

Well they certainly spent a lot of time on the food, wine, truffles and excursion guides. Not sure about the river and it's problems. One paragraph that caught my eye was

"That’s not to say that Viking River still doesn’t face challenges as it introduces this all-new region of France to river cruisers. There are caveats. While Bordeaux's waterways are scenic, not as much time is spent cruising as on Viking's bigger, more traditional Rhine, Danube or Rhone itineraries. Also, being located right off the Atlantic, tidal surges, particularly in spring, are highly uneven and can, from time to time, affect the ships’ abilities to make it to every port. In that case, passengers would likely find themselves with a little more time docked in the heart of the city of Bordeaux and a lot more time on the tour bus."

Pity they didn't tell prospective passengers prior to them booking.

Maybe Viking needs to tweek their advertising and marketing on this particular itinerary given the challenges of the Bordeaux bridge and the tidal waters which will not change over time.

Instead of highlighting the word CRUISE they should say 'Bordeaux TOUR' since it would offer a very nice alternative to doing it by bus in that you only unpack once.The ship becomes your floating hotel.

Cost wise, bus tours don't come cheap either and while I cannot find one that does this region as intensely as the Viking 'cruise', a France bus tour from a mid range company that would include the Loire valley chateaux pre-cruise and Bordeaux is around $3500 pp and you still need to buy several meals. Viking's prices which includes all meals therefore becomes a bargain.

And bus tours :eek: have a different feeling than a ship tour. It's all in the marketing I think. ;)

Thank you editor@cruisecritic,

nice marketing article about Viking. Plainly wrong sentence in it, though: ... it introduces this all-new region of France to river cruisers

CroisiEurope did!

notamermaidP.S. I appreciate the Viking employees efforts, but well let's just say compare the itineraries of the two companies...

I'd also like to THANK Cruise Critic Editor Carolyn for posting the link to story about the Bordeaux excursions!!! Nice story and photos!!!

But looking at our itinerary leaves me with a question - Day 4 - Libourne - do we have to choose between tour of Libourne OR Saint-Emilion OR Chateau Siaurac OR Truffle Hunting???? Hope we'll soon hear from those on the cruise so some of our questions can be answered!!!!

Yes, CroisieEurope did it and we cruised on a Road Scholar trip with them last year on a brand new boat--no problems with bridges or ports. Vantage also tried this itinerary a few years back, but gave it up after the first year.

DH always says don't try things the first year--wait one and let them get the kinks out. Hopefully things will smooth out for Viking especially with 2 boats going to be on the itinerary. Pat

megallen2022 ~ SO happy you could get your tickets - did you use SNCF.com??? Any problem paying for them??? I was going to use PayPal - seemed like that might be the best!!!

And a big THANKS to Hlitner (Hank) for his advice!!!

…help us assemble an accurate “picture” of this cruise by posting answers to the following:

1. how many ports, if any, you missed due to river conditions

2. how would you rate the Forseti’s food (from 1 to 5 - poor to excellent)

3. any comments you would like to add on excursions, service, etc."

April 12, 2014 ~ id4elizabeth – ports missed Cadillac

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack – ports missed Cadillac

April 26, 2014 ~ tipsygirl – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

April 26, 2014 ~ ChesapeakeSailor – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

May 10, 2014 ~ editor@cruisecritic: Carolyn

May 17, 2014 ~ kidfixer: Linda

May 24, 2014 ~ MalibooNewYork Theresa

May 31, 2014 ~ ABQcruiser

June 28, 2014 ~ Le bon vin

July 5, 2014 ~ magellan2022

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 12, 2014 ~ SueFrankuk

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 16, 2014 ~ lovetocruise17

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Aug. 30, 2014 ~ roebud; Rose & Gary

Sept. 6, 2014 ~ indianrider - CANCELLED

Sept 13, 2014 ~ smokinmike

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 4, 2014 ~ FotoPeg: John & Peg, Tony & Linda

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ itchyfeetx2

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

Hi, here's what Viking's told me re FotoPeg's question (it's a busy day on the cruise):

1. You can always do Saint-Emilion, regardless if you choose either of the optional tours.

2. If you don’t book either of the optional tours (truflle hunting or the Chateau) you get to spend a decent amount of time in both Libourne and Saint-Emilion.

3. If you do the Chateau, you can still spend a bit of time in Libourne and Saint-Emilion

and, finally….

4. Truffle hunting does eat into time in Libourne (one alternative is to get up early and see it on your own before the truffle hunting tour starts). You will still get to see Saint-Emilion.

Hope that helps, FotoPeg.

Carolyn

I'd also like to THANK Cruise Critic Editor Carolyn for posting the link to story about the Bordeaux excursions!!! Nice story and photos!!!

But looking at our itinerary leaves me with a question - Day 4 - Libourne - do we have to choose between tour of Libourne OR Saint-Emilion OR Chateau Siaurac OR Truffle Hunting???? Hope we'll soon hear from those on the cruise so some of our questions can be answered!!!![/quote

Hi, notamermaid. We goofed on the CroisiEurope issue (we had mentioned its role in Bordeaux in an early draft but somehow the editor of the piece -- ahem, yours truly -- must have messed up and cut it). So thank you for reminding us -- we've actually tweaked the story to reflect that.

I was not at all aware that Vantage had tried Bordeaux one year -- thanks, Pacmom, for that info!

Carolyn

Thank you editor@cruisecritic,

nice marketing article about Viking. Plainly wrong sentence in it, though: ... it introduces this all-new region of France to river cruisers

CroisiEurope did!

notamermaidP.S. I appreciate the Viking employees efforts, but well let's just say compare the itineraries of the two companies...

Carolyn ~ a million Thanks for your - and Viking's - answer to my question about day 4!!!!!!

I was really asking it in a "confused" way and not angry! I'm the one who wants to do everything!!! And reading that slide show left me wanting more days on this cruise so I could do "everything"!!!!! Everything sounded SO wonderful!!!

But thanks SO much - have a wonderful cruise and please come back full of information to share with us!!!!

FotoPeg -

you might need to adjust your expectations for truffle hunting. The black truffle of Perigord is harvested from the end of November to the end of February. The less valuable summer or Burgundy truffle is harvested from September to December.

That said, any trip to the Perigord (Dordogne) is worthwhile. It is a beautiful area and worth a few days. Just wondering how much you can see in half a day. I would spend my time in St-Emilion and maybe include a visit to the chateau. Libourne is a fairly big town with some pretty areas, square and old church, but it doesn't compare to St-Emilion.