Emergency passport replacement in Europe, is birth certificate needed?

megs1954

The travel company we are using for my son’s upcoming land tour of Europe sent us a letter stating that they “…strongly recommends that each participant take a certified birth certificate on their European tour. It has come to our attention that some of the United States Embassies and Consulates in Europe have established a requirement that when replacing a lost passport, the American citizen must be able to produce a certified birth certificate along with a photocopy of the picture page of their passport. This procedure is already in place in London.”

Has anyone here heard of this? Has anyone here recently had to replace a US passport on a European cruise or trip recently?

I haven’t seen anything about this. I have not checked with the travel company for clarification, yet. They are not making him bring his birth certificate, just highly recommending it to save us the cost of getting one there in an emergency.

Here is what the State Department has to say.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/lostpassport/lostpassport_1197.html

It sounds like the birth certificate might make it easier to get a replacement which is perhaps what the travel company is going for.

I take a copy of my birth certificate as well as a copy of my passport with me.

If this is true, it would be nice if they would accept images that could be d/l from the web or a phone. The letter leads me to believe that they want the official copy I got from the county. Seems rather impractical to have to carry extra documentation on travels. That's why we have passports.

Also bring two passport-sized photos.

Personal opinion as a frequent international traveler - hauling around 2 passport size photos, no matter how small and light they are, for the rare event that you will lose your passport isn't worth it. You can get passport photos really quickly and easily abroad, in most places, if you absolutely need them. Just my thoughts.

I ALWAYS carry a color copy of the info page of my passport though, and keep it in a different location than my actual passport.

My son does have the card, also. That's an idea.

The passport card is a handy thing to carry about in Europe when you're out for the day, while keeping the passport in a safe place. The card resembles national identity cards issued by EU countries and may be accepted as such for general ID purposes.

I have laminated copies of DH and my info page on our passports and they are always in my pocketbook.

If you have the number and date of issue etc, it is claimed a new passport can be obtained faster if it should be lost.

My cousin had his passport stolen in Italy and did not need a copy of his birth certificate to get the emergency passport. He had it within 24 hours. What we needed to do is go to the consulate and I vouched for his citizenship, which is legal to do as long as that person has a US passport, plus he did have a copy of the information page on his computer, so it wasn't really difficult. They did not ask for a birth certificate.

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard of this supposed requirement except through the travel company. I will put his BC or passport card in the lining of his luggage in case he needs it and he won't accidentally lose it that way. I expect no problems. His passport will be in his neck pouch the whole time and they move as a group.

If this is true, it would be nice if they would accept images that could be d/l from the web or a phone. The letter leads me to believe that they want the official copy I got from the county. Seems rather impractical to have to carry extra documentation on travels. That's why we have passports.

Yes, it is "...why we have passports..."; but this thread is about replacing lost passports --- which means we do not have them. As long as I am carrying a photocopy of my passport "just in case", it makes sense to have a birth certificate with it if that will expedite the replacement process.

Yes, it is "...why we have passports..."; but this thread is about replacing lost passports --- which means we do not have them. As long as I am carrying a photocopy of my passport "just in case", it makes sense to have a birth certificate with it if that will expedite the replacement process.

That's fine to have the BC. But it gets more complicated if your surname has ever changed since your birth. I'd have to carry my passport, the photocopy, the BC, and my marriage license. Some people would have to carry more. That's a lot of important documentation (that can get lost or stolen as easily as a passport) for "just in case."

He's 18 and has his original birth name. If he brings his BC, I don't know of a good place to store it. Certainly not with his passport. It's either his money belt or luggage. I don't see that he needs it. More likely to lose it then his passport.

sounds like you had your mind made up when posting and was hoping for back-up. I would think an 18yo would be able to keep track of 3 pieces of paper in addition and separately from his passport. lots of 18yo's seem able to keep track of a lot more when in the service and in Afghanistan.

• 2 months later...

A cruiser leaving out of Barcelona just had her passport stolen. I asked her what she had to do to get a temporary replacement. She filled out the regular form, paid $125 and showed her driving license. That wasn't stolen. It took 45 minutes.

As someone else already posted all information is posted on http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...port_1197.html

Basically to facilitate processing of a lost or stolen passport the 2 most important things is to know your passport number and have a government insured photo ID ( not a copy) such as State ID or Driver's . Even if the state ID or Dl were stolen knowing the passport port number will speed up the process. Having traveled the world intensively when working I make it a practice to memorize the passport number.

...It has come to our attention that some of the United States Embassies and Consulates in Europe have established a requirement that when replacing a lost passport, the American citizen must be able to produce a certified birth certificate along with a photocopy of the picture page of their passport. This procedure is already in place in London...”

IMO, this is a questionable statement for anyone to be making.

If you don’t happen to have a certified birth certificate with you, what is the consulate going to do? Refuse to issue you a passport and say that you can’t return to the US? Let’s get real here.

It may be significantly quicker and more convenient with a certified birth certificate, But to say you must have one is, IMO, really not reasonable.

Scott & Karen

Archived