Did we tip a fair amount?

Just did seven nights on Carnival. For four people in the room (two adults and two children) the gratuity was $80.50 per person per week. I think the dining services got $40, room services $26, and alternative services $14.

We loved our main dining room wait staff and wanted to reward them for that so at the end of the trip we gave the head waiter $50 and the team waiter $40, in addition to the standard gratuity above. This was for all four of us.

Do you think this was appropriate? Too much or not enough?

Thank you.

Edited by psychtobe

As long as you tipped the recommended amount (you would be amazed at the number of people who reduce or cancel the recommended tip), you are OK. Your extra tip to the waitstaff was generous but I am sure that it was appreciated.

DON

I think the most common tip is $20 for your waiter (for 2) so it seems you're within expectations. But it all depends on your service. I've tipped the maitre d (who was amazing) and not our waiter (because he wasn't very good) and vice versa.

As others have mentioned, you can be assured that no matter what you tip... there's someone out there who has tipped worse than you. On every cruise.

I have a friend who used to work for the cruise line and he told me that the daily tip pot amounts so very little so every small tip goes a long ways. I've also had friends who have tipped the servers/meat carvers at the buffets a buck or two... it seemed to make their day since most people seem to forget about them!

• 4 weeks later...
it matters now because there will be a next time.

Hi Psych, I was just wondering since there were 4 people including 2 kids in your cabin, how was the room stewards service? You don't say how old your kids are, but, I have seen kids TEAR UP a cabin. Was there a reason you didn't give the steward any of your extra tip money? Just curious...:o

• 3 months later...

What you tip is your business and your business alone - pay what you think is fair.

I will add that tipping has got way out of hand especially in the USA - I am well aware that tips make up the wages in some countries but if you pay people a decent living wage in the first place they don't have to rely on tips.

I notice when I'm in the USA that when eating out waiting staff often try way too hard to try and please - almost to point of annoyance. Why ask me 3 or 4 times if everything is to my liking? If it was not good I would say. I also find it irritating when waiting staff hover waiting to pull the plate from under my nose the minute I finish. The fussing actually borders on fake - much like the 'have a nice day' people robotically bleat out with a fake smile every place you shop or eat out. I don't like to be fussed over when eating out - i prefer some light hearted chat with waiting staff - maybe a recommendation if I'm struggling to choose something from the menu, and I also insist on clean cutlery and crockery. Tick those boxes and I'm more than happy to tip.

Another point of note I will make;

The ships where an automatic service charge has been added to my account - have in general had the worst service - compared with the ships where tipping / service charges are not added automatically. Perhaps the auto tipping make the staff onboard these ship try a little less hard knowing most of the tips are in the bag before they even start.

The ships where an automatic service charge has been added to my account - have in general had the worst service - compared with the ships where tipping / service charges are not added automatically. Perhaps the auto tipping make the staff onboard these ship try a little less hard knowing most of the tips are in the bag before they even start.

I guess it depends on the ship you sail on

I have not had that experience with the auto tip policy

I guess it depends on the ship you sail on

I have not had that experience with the auto tip policy

Agree and it can also depend upon the crew assigned to the ship at the time you sail as well. I have been on the same ship for different cruises a couple of years apart, and found the service to vary greatly as well.

First time round service was good, second time round service was found to be a bit lacking at times.

I think unless you have horriable service people shouldn't be able to remove tips

What is classed as horrible service to one person might be okay to another person and what is classed as excellent service to one person might be average to another.

Tip's should be based upon the how the tipper rates the service and what he deems to the service to be worth.

Edited by camNaud

What is classed as horrible service to one person might be okay to another person and what is classed as excellent service to one person might be average to another.

Tip's should be based upon the how the tipper rates the service and what he deems to the service to be worth.

Agreed!

I used to think I was really cheap. That I was a horrible tipper even though I tipped extra. Then I started reading these boards. Now I feel better. I always tip the suggested and then more on the top. I usually tip the waiter $100 extra, the room steward $100 and the assistant water $75. These 3 people make the difference to me about my cruise experience. It's not that much in the scheme of things and I'd always felt it worth it. There has only been 1 cruise where I didn't tip my room steward extra.

I used to think I was really cheap. That I was a horrible tipper even though I tipped extra. Then I started reading these boards. Now I feel better. I always tip the suggested and then more on the top. I usually tip the waiter $100 extra, the room steward $100 and the assistant water $75. These 3 people make the difference to me about my cruise experience. It's not that much in the scheme of things and I'd always felt it worth it. There has only been 1 cruise where I didn't tip my room steward extra.

Really!

Agree completely! Those are our top three to "extra tip" too. :)

This is turning into a bit of a pissing contest me thinks lol