Sea Glass Beach!!!!

rtb

The first cruise ship of the season just arrived at Dockyard , so no one is going to have any thing new at this point.

Last year signs were posted prohibiting the collection of sea glass from the beach. I assume that prohibition still exists.

I believe that the signs were posted by WEDCO at the beach near Black Bay. I am not sure but will find out in May if there are signs at the one near St. Georges. When we were at the black Bay glass beach in 2010 no signs were there and we took several pieces from there with no problem and ther was plenty left! There were a few Portuguese Mans of War there also and I was surprised it took me a few seconds to recognize them. I was glad I had water shoes on after that.I have read suggestions to carry on the glass in pockets rather than put them in the carry on bags that go through the xray machine as sometimes the cruise lines confiscates them thinking that they came from the Wedco site.

Thank you for your input...hopefully someone will report back that might live in the area or when they return from their cruise. We were able to when we were there in 2011, did not see a sign.

Thank you for your input...hopefully someone will report back that might live in the area or when they return from their cruise. We were able to when we were there in 2011, did not see a sign.

A photo of the sign was first posted here in 10/12 by CC member iheartbda so I don't think any were up in 2011.

SBtS

As I said in my previous post, the signs prohibiting collection of sea glass were first posted last year... in 2012. They would not have been there when you were in Bermuda in 2011.

A photo of the sign was first posted here in 10/12 by CC member iheartbda so I don't think any were up in 2011.

SBtS

As I said in my previous post, the signs prohibiting collection of sea glass were first posted last year... in 2012. They would not have been there when you were in Bermuda in 2011.

Thank you....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36267430

Here is a link that has the sign from WEDCO. I was there in early Sept. but did not walk down the steps to the bearch. Mr. Simmons (the old gentleman who lives there) encouraged us to go down. We were on a taxi tour and I did not go down. We've been there several times - it is amazing to see the glass.

Some people don't realize the glass is put there to soften the edges and get it smooth for making souvenirs and jewelry to be sold.

Common sense tells you it didn't magically wash up by the tons over the years to the same beach on a small island in the middle of the Atlantic. Like it was carried by some never changing current, from somewhere on the ocean floor and up the 'undersea mountain' to Sea Glass beach in Bermuda.

They do the same thing on Monhegan, an island we visit in Maine. Put the broken glass in a protected beach area where it won't float off the island. Yet it gets constant water movement and a little sand to get that nice look and feel. People love sea glass. Including me. It's really nice in jars on the window sill.

We'll be in Bermuda soon! Looks like we probably won't be docking at Heritage though...

Some people don't realize the glass is put there to soften the edges and get it smooth for making souvenirs and jewelry to be sold.

Common sense tells you it didn't magically wash up by the tons over the years to the same beach on a small island in the middle of the Atlantic. Like it was carried by some never changing current, from somewhere on the ocean floor and up the 'undersea mountain' to Sea Glass beach in Bermuda.

They do the same thing on Monhegan, an island we visit in Maine. Put the broken glass in a protected beach area where it won't float off the island. Yet it gets constant water movement and a little sand to get that nice look and feel. People love sea glass. Including me. It's really nice in jars on the window sill.

We'll be in Bermuda soon! Looks like we probably won't be docking at Heritage though...

Interesting, but I see at least one hole in your theory.

There are very few people who make jewelry out of the glass to sell and I've never seen any other souvenirs made from it.;):)

One Bermuda resident, who is a regular poster here, said her mother lived in that area as a child and there was an unofficial neighborhood dump near the sea glass beach. Also, just up the road was the former Sally Port Dump where people used to dump their garbage.

Exactly. Dumped glass. Regardless of how it ended up there and why they don't want people taking it, my only point is it didn't come in on a wave.

I was trying to be nice about the souvenirs. The random times I end up in tourist shops or fairs I see it.

Sea glass has always been and always will be sought after by many crafters and jewelry designers. Sounds nice to say its Bermuda sea glass. ;)

You can also buy it at craft stores everywhere.

All my theories have holes in them. :)

My understanding is that much of the sea glass found in Bermuda is from glass from the many shipwrecks in Bermuda waters, not just from glass that has been dumped on the beach or just offshore. Of course saying the glass is from shipwrecks probably doesn't hurt the price of the jewelry made from it. ;)

Maybe. Hard to believe so much would find its way to Sea Glass beach year after year.

But yes!! Tell the tourists it's from ancient ship wrecks. They love that.

It's very alluring.

Do you know if the old prison is open for visits in Dock yard yet?

So can we take sea glass?

If you are referring to the sea glass beach near the Dockyard, the new owners (WEDCO) of the beach and surrounding land have posted signs which state that you can look but you better not touch the sea glass.

The glass beach near Alexandra Battery, St George is still available.

SBtS

Maybe. Hard to believe so much would find its way to Sea Glass beach year after year.

But yes!! Tell the tourists it's from ancient ship wrecks. They love that.

It's very alluring.

Do you know if the old prison is open for visits in Dock yard yet?

Nope, the old prison isn't open.

Just an opinion from someone who has lived on a beach her whole life (and the lives of generations before me): we used to have tons of sea glass here in NJ, I have collected it since I was a small child, my great-grandmother and grandmother always made jewelry from it, now my daughter follows suit. Over the last 50 years I have collected enough to fill a small jar, all with beautiful blues, reds, oranges, and purples. But we have very little sea glass left in NJ. Since the emergence of widespread mandatory recycling, and the banning of barges dumping garbage offshore (both of which are great things), the beautiful glass has all but disappeared, and I suspect the same will follow in Bermuda. My family taught me when I was young to only take, at most, three pieces a day, and we usually left with none, always searching for a piece of lavender or orange, they told me it was bad luck and disrespectful to the sea to take more than that. My grandmother would tsk-tsk all the tourists who would come and fill up baggies with sea glass, always commenting on the disrespect. She said that collecting took a lifetime, not a jar in a day. Now that there is very little left, I only wish that those people had left more, and then we could all possibly continue enjoy the beauty andto search for one special piece.

I have scars on my feet from being cut over and over as a child from broken glass in the sand, not yet smoothed by the power of the waves. I don't miss the bleeding, but I do miss the beauty of sea glass. That's the way it goes: The sea only gives back what it is given, and when it's gone, it's gone. I completely understand the people of the island being so protective of their sea glass, I only wish we could have protected ours...

Robin

Just an opinion from someone who has lived on a beach her whole life (and the lives of generations before me): we used to have tons of sea glass here in NJ, I have collected it since I was a small child, my great-grandmother and grandmother always made jewelry from it, now my daughter follows suit. Over the last 50 years I have collected enough to fill a small jar, all with beautiful blues, reds, oranges, and purples. But we have very little sea glass left in NJ. Since the emergence of widespread mandatory recycling, and the banning of barges dumping garbage offshore (both of which are great things), the beautiful glass has all but disappeared, and I suspect the same will follow in Bermuda. My family taught me when I was young to only take, at most, three pieces a day, and we usually left with none, always searching for a piece of lavender or orange, they told me it was bad luck and disrespectful to the sea to take more than that. My grandmother would tsk-tsk all the tourists who would come and fill up baggies with sea glass, always commenting on the disrespect. She said that collecting took a lifetime, not a jar in a day. Now that there is very little left, I only wish that those people had left more, and then we could all possibly continue enjoy the beauty andto search for one special piece.

I have scars on my feet from being cut over and over as a child from broken glass in the sand, not yet smoothed by the power of the waves. I don't miss the bleeding, but I do miss the beauty of sea glass. That's the way it goes: The sea only gives back what it is given, and when it's gone, it's gone. I completely understand the people of the island being so protective of their sea glass, I only wish we could have protected ours...

Robin

As a life long lover and collector of sea glass (collected mostly on Connecticut beaches) I absolutely agree with the points you make. The sea glass available on 'my' Connecticut beaches has all but disappeared and the large (awesome) pieces are almost never found anymore. I too credit good things (recycling in particular) with having the volume of glass diminish, but I do miss seeing so much of it!

When I went Bermuda on NCL a few years ago, the sea glass beach did not have a prohibition against taking glass, and despite heavy rain I was in heaven! I will be there again this coming summer, but will absolutely respect the new rules....(I just hope there aren't too many pieces of cobalt blue that I can't bring home!). I do give kudos to Bermuda for taking steps to protect their amazing sea glass beach!:)

There are many beaches in the US where it is against the law to remove sand, or sea shells. Most parks prohibit picking flowers.

If it is private property people should respect it and appreciate that they are allowed on it.

Taking stuff from their beach is no different than someone removing a bucket of soil, landscape stones, or anything else from your garden or property.

I'd feel weird if I looked out my window and saw someone stealing my landscape stones or picking flowers from my gardens and flower beds. It's trespassing and stealing. I would never pick flowers from anyone's yard or a public garden either.

But millions of residents and tourists visit public oceans, ponds, rivers, lakes and their beaches every day all around the world. Probably many pick up a shell or stone. There's a never ending supply brought up with every wave or tide.

Taking glass shards from a dump doesn't compare. I don't know why it's not allowed at Sea Glass Beach in Bermuda, or why anyone would want it? It's probably trespassing and they don't want anyone to get cut or something? They were probably walking thru private property to get there? Who knows.

All I'm wondering right now is: will Heritage Wharf be ready for the Dawn next week??

I'd feel weird if I looked out my window and saw someone stealing my landscape stones or picking flowers from my gardens and flower beds. It's trespassing and stealing. I would never pick flowers from anyone's yard or a public garden either.

But millions of residents and tourists visit public oceans, ponds, rivers, lakes and their beaches every day all around the world. Probably many pick up a shell or stone. There's a never ending supply brought up with every wave or tide.

Taking glass shards from a dump doesn't compare. I don't know why it's not allowed at Sea Glass Beach in Bermuda, or why anyone would want it? It's probably trespassing and they don't want anyone to get cut or something? They were probably walking thru private property to get there? Who knows.

All I'm wondering right now is: will Heritage Wharf be ready for the Dawn next week??

I would say it is not looking too good for Dawn next week. The pile drivers are still working daily when I look at the Bermuda Webcam. I am thinking they will be really lucky to be ready for the Breakaway.

As far as Sea Glass Beach, there is no sharp glass there that I have ever saw. All it of it has tumbled in the ocean until it is smooth on all sides. The path up to the beach is an alley behind a row of apartment buildings that the tenants park in. There was always an old gentleman there greeting the visitors to Sea Glass Beach and telling his story about the Beach. Entrance was gained by going down a really rough "Staircase". He always encouraged you to take as much as you wanted. "There will always be more tomorrow" were his words of encourgement. The sound of the water rippling over the glass was like a wonderful windchime. Such a serene place to stop and enjoy. So sorry it is no longer available to visit.

Archived