Baltimore Embarkation-Security Is Ridiculous

teacherman

I just returned from Enchantment of the Seas, out of Baltimore, on April 1. I have been through security checks at embarkation ports, and AIRPORTS, in MANY cities in several different countries. Baltimore was the most ridiculous thing I have EVER experienced, and I need to vent. We waited IN A STAND UP SECURITY LINE for over 90 minutes. People were constantly reminded to put watches and any metal items that were in their pockets in their carry-ons to go through the screening machines. But I saw some people walk back and forth through the screening machines 3 and 4 times before they could empty all of their pockets. Also, the young "security" lady had to open EVERY bag that had liquid, take the water packs, wine bottles, etc. OUT OF THE BAGS, and hold each one up to the light as she shook it to make sure that no bottles had been previously opened. They had to be placed back into the carry-ons and run through the x-ray machines. IN MY CASE, I told her that I had a C-PAP machine, in its own case, with extra extension cord. "Shall I take it out so that you can examine it?" No, just put it through the x-ray machine. I told her I had 2 bottles of wine in my carry-on. OH, let us take out each one, unwrap it, hold it to the light, shake it, and then re-wrap it and put it back in the bag. I walked through the scanner machine and automatically told the man "I have a metal brace on my knee" That is okay, because the machine did not beep. "It should have". Don't worry about it because these machines are not very sensitive. So, it appears we will hold up everyone because someone might try and sneak on a bottle of opened alcohol, BUT if you walk through with a metal device strapped to your leg, that is okay. What a joke. Please do not tell me about terrorism. It would be a heck of a plot to book 2 people on a 12 day cruise ship, 3 months in advance, pay for the whole thing with a credit card, and then show up to try and sneak a liquid bomb, in the guise of a sealed bottle, onto the ship. Not a very good way to start a cruise. Thank goodness the weather was decent, as the line snaked out of the building. Once through the security "gestapo", we were through check-in and on the ship in 10 minutes. I will also mention that when we exited our taxi, we asked a luggage "handler" for some luggage tags, just as we do at every embarkation. He handed us 2, told us to put our room number on them and put them on the bags. He then walked away. We did as we were told and then waited for someone to take the bags, No one ever did. So we walked over to the luggage carts and put our own bags on them, as many other passengers were also doing. Great customer service, Port of Baltimore. Okay, I have vented. The cruise itself was great. Review will be on the appropriate page.

I just returned from Enchantment of the Seas, out of Baltimore, on April 1. I have been through security checks at embarkation ports, and AIRPORTS, in MANY cities in several different countries. Baltimore was the most ridiculous thing I have EVER experienced, and I need to vent. We waited IN A STAND UP SECURITY LINE for over 90 minutes. People were constantly reminded to put watches and any metal items that were in their pockets in their carry-ons to go through the screening machines. But I saw some people walk back and forth through the screening machines 3 and 4 times before they could empty all of their pockets. Also, the young "security" lady had to open EVERY bag that had liquid, take the water packs, wine bottles, etc. OUT OF THE BAGS, and hold each one up to the light as she shook it to make sure that no bottles had been previously opened. They had to be placed back into the carry-ons and run through the x-ray machines. IN MY CASE, I told her that I had a C-PAP machine, in its own case, with extra extension cord. "Shall I take it out so that you can examine it?" No, just put it through the x-ray machine. I told her I had 2 bottles of wine in my carry-on. OH, let us take out each one, unwrap it, hold it to the light, shake it, and then re-wrap it and put it back in the bag. I walked through the scanner machine and automatically told the man "I have a metal brace on my knee" That is okay, because the machine did not beep. "It should have". Don't worry about it because these machines are not very sensitive. So, it appears we will hold up everyone because someone might try and sneak on a bottle of opened alcohol, BUT if you walk through with a metal device strapped to your leg, that is okay. What a joke. Please do not tell me about terrorism. It would be a heck of a plot to book 2 people on a 12 day cruise ship, 3 months in advance, pay for the whole thing with a credit card, and then show up to try and sneak a liquid bomb, in the guise of a sealed bottle, onto the ship. Not a very good way to start a cruise. Thank goodness the weather was decent, as the line snaked out of the building. Once through the security "gestapo", we were through check-in and on the ship in 10 minutes. I will also mention that when we exited our taxi, we asked a luggage "handler" for some luggage tags, just as we do at every embarkation. He handed us 2, told us to put our room number on them and put them on the bags. He then walked away. We did as we were told and then waited for someone to take the bags, No one ever did. So we walked over to the luggage carts and put our own bags on them, as many other passengers were also doing. Great customer service, Port of Baltimore. Okay, I have vented. The cruise itself was great. Review will be on the appropriate page.

WOW - :eek:

We have cruised out of Baltimore on the Carnival Pride, three times, and we have never experienced anything like that. It was pretty smooth and easy on Embarkation & Disembarkation ??:confused::confused:

The luggage handlers were right there as when we got dropped off. I did my normal - gave the guy twenty bucks, and asked him to take good care of my luggage. 2 out of those 3 times, our bags were at out cabin door before dinner!:D

Sorry your experience was so bad.

I wonder if it's specific to RCCL, and not CCL ??:rolleyes:

I did my normal - gave the guy twenty bucks, and asked him to take good care of my luggage. 2 out of those 3 times, our bags were at out cabin door before dinner!:D

We always tip the porters 5.00 and our bags always show up before dinner:rolleyes: BTW they have nothing to do with delivery once the bags are on the ship.....

We always tip the porters 5.00 and our bags always show up before dinner:rolleyes: BTW they have nothing to do with delivery once the bags are on the ship.....

You are correct; on board the cruise line folks take over, and I probably over do it with $20, but I started tipping more after a horrible experience we had in Miami. We were in a group of 12, and were on a bus with 4 others, so 16 in all. 2 of the folks not with our party, stiffed the guys at the pier, and even made a wise crack about too many folks wanting tips. Well, wouldn't you know that 6 of us had damaged luggage, my wife's DVF suede luggage had a hole in one side where the forklift blade had punctured it. From that cruise, I make a point to put 4-$5 Dollar bills in the porter's hand, and identify each of our bags and request them to take care of me. One porter told me he would share that tip with the cruise luggage handlers. It's worked well for me ever since, and it's worth $20 if all goes well.:D

In Vancouver, the Pan Pacific has an exclusive arrangement with the cruise lines, and their folks take your luggage from your hotel, directly to your cabin onboard. I tipped that guy $20, and our luggage was in our cabin when we got onboard. & we were the first onboard, as we had priority boarding because we had booked a suite on that cruise!

Sorry your experience was so bad.

I wonder if it's specific to RCCL, and not CCL ??:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Yeah, all the porters ran over to work the Carnival baggage, because they are better tippers, leaving Royal's baggage unstaffed. My God, why hasn't the national press picked up on this? :eek:

:rolleyes: Yeah, all the porters ran over to work the Carnival baggage, because they are better tippers, leaving Royal's baggage unstaffed. My God, why hasn't the national press picked up on this? :eek:

Really?:confused:

Thought RCCL would have the bigger-spenders, based on their cruise prices

Teacherman...let me give you the lowdown on your situation.

The security people have many motivations to slow down and create havoc for passengers. This has nothing to do with where you came from, or where your going, or where you are or what airline or cruiseline you use. This is all about security, and the people who work it.

The first thing to set these people off (and their only retaliation is through the passenger directly) is labor negotiations. Union or no union, if they're not happy, they will slow you down and "work to rule". If mangement bonuses have deteriorated for any reason...you can expect the same result.

National security audits are another thing. The Feds step in and do an un-announce audit, and the management and teams receive written (and job threatening) reprimands. Hence, security will "work to rule" and the effects on passengers are just not their problem.

And remember...Baltiomre / Washington are right up there on the list for Homeland Security, and if anyone even thinks that they are present to watch and observe security operations, you can bet that they are going to slow down and be thourough.

So..this isn't about terrorism, or competing companies or loyalty. This is about making sure you leave enough time to account for delay's...whatever the cause.

We have gone through Baltimore cruise ship port 3 times so far and never experienced the long lines, waits and security opening every bag. Maybe this is new since you are now alloed to bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

We have gone through Baltimore cruise ship port 3 times so far and never experienced the long lines, waits and security opening every bag. Maybe this is new since you are now alloed to bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

May be ??

That's a steep rice to pay for a couple bottles of wine, eh?:(

I was on this cruise also and we have cruised out of Baltimore 5 + times and never experienced the mayhem trying to get through security.

We saw handicapped going through another shorter line and that is the usual procedure. But this one RCI employee started to announce that suite guests, Diamond and above could go ahead in the shorter line. That has never happened before and created lots of problems with folks trying to move over to that line. I am Diamond and NEVER have we had a seperate line except once you get to the check in line to get your sea pass card. Several other employees finally ran over and told this guy that he was wrong and there was no special line for us.

It was really crazy and nothing like our other cruises out of Baltimore.

We also had a problem with paying to park at the terminal. Sat in long lines that did not move for over 15 minutes. Finally got to the front of the line and they had one person collecting cash for parking! Never had that problem before either.

Not sure what was up that day in Baltimore.

. Once through the security "gestapo", we were through check-in and on the ship in 10 minutes.

You understand that there's a difference between the Gestapo and any sort of terrible security you might experience at an airport or cruise terminal, right?

I apologize for the use of "Gestapo" remark. (Remember, I said I was VENTING).

I probably should have referred to them as the Wine (Whine) Police. Also, if working to rule, then why did they not examine my C-Pap or knee brace, which was done at the airports both coming to and departing from our cruise. I also saw the "handicap/diamond/suite/etc." line. We were directed to the long line, the man immediately in front of me requested the short line, and received it. He was through in about 10 minutes. We waited over 90 minutes. We arrived at the terminal at 11:50. My wife said we should have perhaps arrived later, but when we got through security at about 1:20, the line was still out the door. We also cruise once prior to this out of Baltimore and did not have this problem. I also do not understand the baggage handlers not taking the baggage. It was a beautiful sunny day, so what was going on in Baltimore??????????????

We were also on this cruise and it took about 90 minutes to get through the security. At that time they had only three of the scanners working and as usual I was on the side were there was only one. I was amazed at watching people go through the scanners. You would have thought that this was something very new. Even with the constant reminders to remove all metal from your pockets people did have to continually go back, empty more out of their pockets and get re-screened.

I contributed the delay on the lack of scanners operational, the relatively new policy on bringing liquids on board and the passengers not doing what was asked.

For Priority Passengers going through a shorter line for screening, it has been a hit or miss for me at various ports. Sometimes we were directed to a shorter line other times not.

The longer line really did not bother our group because we were on vacation.

Any spring break cruise at any port on lines that carry a lot of springbreakers (NCL, RCCL, Carnival) will have tight security concerning any alcohol and liquids going on board.

I'm surprised they didn't check your mouthwash bottle.

I do know one difference- I know how the Gestapo would react to such public criticism.

I also know who would get sued presto-quick if a bad guy got on the ship and killed a bunch of people.

Bad guy orders steak, gets sharp knife and runs amok.

TSA doesn't react we'll to criticism . . . "Do you,want to fly today?"

ETA . . . I know, TSA does not do screening at ports.

Archived