Love Those Quiet Mornings-NOT on Enchantment

We just returned from a 12 night cruise on Enchantment, out of Baltimore. It was the last round trip from that port for this ship, as this week it is doing a re-positioning cruise to Florida, and will do alternating 3 and 4 night cruises for the next few years. It was, over-all, a very enjoyable cruise, except for 2 issues. One was the embarkation security check, which was the most ridiculous one I have ever experienced. (I have written of this on the East Coast Departures boards.) The second issue is this: like many of you, we look forward to special things on a cruise. One of ours is those "quiet" mornings around the pool, when the ship kind of "comes to life". We usually arrive at the pool about 8:30, select a couple of lounges, bring our breakfast to an outdoor table, and just enjoy the quiet outdoor escape from our hectic, winter-bound, lives. We have done this on our 25 previous cruises. BUT NOT ON ENCHANTMENT. They have installed a large outdoor screen. This is used to show movies, or sports, in the evenings, which is appropriate. It also has beautiful, quiet, videos of nature scenes for most of the day. But, for some reason, it blasts the feeds of CNN from 8 to 10. So, we were treated to constant In-depth reports of Michael Jackson's death (how long ago was that?) and sad stories of ax attacks on a young girl, complete with pictures, which might be "disturbing" to young children, etc. I don't get it. You can watch this in your room if you want to. Why blast it into the beautiful morning? I mentioned this to one of the activity staff, who responded that they did not know this was happening. Well, who decides what is shown? As I said, a very nice cruise, but maybe they should look at how other ships use their big screens. (I will write an over-all review in the next couple of days.)

I am not a big fan of these megawatt TVs. I suppose they could be ok if used appropriately as we found them to be on Oasis. However, I would have found what you describe to be highly annoying. I look forward to peaceful early mornings out on deck. Unfortunately, it seems that the TVs are being added to all of the ships.

I'll be experiencing my first 'big screen' in November. I've pretty much already decided I won't be liking it much.

A movie in the evening may not be bad, but blaring news on the deck (and I'm a news person) is not part of my vision for a relaxing cruise.

Since television is a relatively new phenomenon here in Scotland ;), I will take in the new novelty factor of the new outdoor screen on the Indy on our June cruise.

Seriously though, the news is`nt the best thing to put on first thing in the morning on vacation.....does the cruise director not do a daily TV show these days at this time ?

Since television is a relatively new phenomenon here in Scotland ;), I will take in the new novelty factor of the new outdoor screen on the Indy on our June cruise.

Seriously though, the news is`nt the best thing to put on first thing in the morning on vacation.....does the cruise director not do a daily TV show these days at this time ?

Must be a Dundee thing. We have had big televisions in Fife for years.

Oh I would HATE that. When I am on vacation, I want to avoid the "real world" and pretend only my little slice of cruise heaven exists. The news totally interferes with that and is a jolt of reality that i prefer not to have, and it can be hard to avoid that main deck if you are getting breakfast, drinks, etc.

I am another who would prefer not to have the big screens at all. I think most of the time they are distracting and loud and take away from the enjoyment of the deck. I really wish RCI (and pretty much everyone else) were not adding them to all the ships.

I would find that extremely annoying as well. Am not a fan of big screens around the pool area at all.

My first "close encounter" with one was when a Princess ship was docked across from us. Even from across the pier their TV was annoyingly loud over on our ship.:rolleyes:

The first experience i had with the screens was on Princess in Alaska. I actually really enjoyed the MUTS experience.

I wish RCI would have more of that (nice loungers, free popcorn, etc). It was really nice.

On that note, in the mornings they just had nature scenes, it was tranquil. I wouldn't like the news being played. I've heard of some ships that have the CD morning show on as well, I wouldn't like that either. I like quiet before I have enough coffee. If I want that, I would turn on the TV in my room.

I'm sure they are all trying to figure out how to best use these screens. They are great in the afternoon for broadcasting the competitions by the pools so everyone can see, etc. I don't like them as a substitute for the steel drum bands though. I do like to watch football (American NFL) though! But I don't want to hear the noise, just see the game.

good idea.. Nothing starts the day off better than a good laugh.

:D

But seriously, judging by this thread it seems like most people feel that the screens are annoying. As I do. I wonder who thought this was a good idea to begin with? The idea of watching a movie outside at night sounds almost OK, and using them to broadcast the on-deck competitions is a great idea, but the rest I could absolutely do without.

Archived