Rome In Limo tipping

alidor

Interesting that Rome in Limo is an American based company. I find it inexcusable that they suggest a tipping percentage on their website.

I don't understand this statement at all. Tipping is about providing something extra for outstanding service. Rome IN Limo has never failed to provide anything less than outstanding service to us on the many times we've used them and we tip....I don't care if it isn't "customary" it's "OUR" custom in the USA and we like to reward excellent service here and anywhere else we may be....

There is NOTHING anywhere on the RIL site that says, IF YOU DON'T TIP WE WON'T TAKE YOU ON YOUR TOUR, it simply answers a question that I have seen asked on these forums many many many times.....and the drivers and guides earn every penny of what they are given. This is an excellent company that strives to meet every promise it makes to you to insure your visit to their country is the best it can be, as over 2000 posts on another thread will support.

If you don't want to tip, don't, but we will continue to do so because we appreciate very much the level of service provided, none of these guides or drivers are millionaires so if I can help them by giving a bit extra while I am on my vacation I see that as a a win win.... I am in the hospitality business so probably a bit more sensitive to this topic but also know how incredibly lucky I am to be able to take such wonderful vacations,.....it's sort of like the movie "Pay it Forward"....if I can give a bit more and make someone else's day a bit better that has made mine sensational than I see that as a plus for everyone.....:)

Nowhere in my post did say I didn't believe in tipping your driver. I just found it interesting that RIL is an American company and distasteful that they suggest on their website an amount to tip rather than just saying at your discretion.

Nowhere in my post did say I didn't believe in tipping your driver. I just found it interesting that RIL is an American company and distasteful that they suggest on their website an amount to tip rather than just saying at your discretion.

It is not distasteful. I find the posts here telling us it distasteful to be distasteful. Americans like a guideline. It is not inexcusable for RIL to have one on their web site. I have not used them yet, have them booked for this fall. I think it is right for them to have a guideline on their site. Despite what some say here, I have used guides a lot in Europe, and read many guidebooks, and I have found that a 10 per cent tip minimum for tour guides is the custom. If the guide is outstanding 20 per cent. Those who say otherwise are giving bad advise.

It is not distasteful. I find the posts here telling us it distasteful to be distasteful. Americans like a guideline. It is not inexcusable for RIL to have one on their web site. I have not used them yet, have them booked for this fall. I think it is right for them to have a guideline on their site. Despite what some say here, I have used guides a lot in Europe, and read many guidebooks, and I have found that a 10 per cent tip minimum for tour guides is the custom. If the guide is outstanding 20 per cent. Those who say otherwise are giving bad advise.

My experience is the same and we've used several different companies in different countries. AND as I said in a previous post the question of "how much to tip" comes up quite frequently on these boards so, I for one, find it helpful, not distasteful....it would be distasteful if they said YOU MUST PAY 10 to 20% in TIPS....that's NOT what is said....

This thread has so much tosh and utter nonsense in it I feel obliged to react.

First of all, ROME IN CABS is LYING regarding tipping customs.

We here in Europe DO NOT tip to 20 percent. FACT.

We here inEurope DO round up the bill or tip maybe 5% or a very maximum 10% IF service is excellent.

We do NOT tip taxi drivers, we just round up the fare to the nearest Euro or for long trips 5 euro.

Those who claim otherwise have a hidden agenda.

Please do RESPECT OUR EU customs and DO NOT tip like in the USA. You expect us to adapt to your tipping culture when visiting the US, so show the same courtesy to us Europeans when visiting our country.

Tipping huge amounts is really insulting to us EU residents who do NOT want anything to do with the US tipping culture.

We in the EU actually pay our employees a salary:rolleyes:

Rant over.

I completely understand what you're saying, but as an American living in Europe it has taken me YEARS to learn that it really is ok to not tip the American way, that people aren't going to have hurt feelings about it.

In American culture if you undertip your service person then you are basically saying to them "I think you're total crap and worthless". It really has become that ruthless and guilt ridden for Americans. When American's come to Europe and tip the American way it's because they really truly do not want to offend anyone, and when you add in the language barrier, they feel that the tip is even more important. It's like the saying goes "better safe than sorry", but we don't realize that tipping isn't the safe option lol. It's not meant to be hurtful or elitist, it's guilt driven really. It's hard to step out of that.

Like I said, it took me years to finally be able to round up the bill to the next Euro or two and not feel guilty.

Despite what some say here, I have used guides a lot in Europe, and read many guidebooks, and I have found that a 10 per cent tip minimum for tour guides is the custom. If the guide is outstanding 20 per cent. Those who say otherwise are giving bad advise.

Its not bad advise. Where do you find a European who gives 20% for outstanding service when in Europe?

Really people, I'm glad you have money to spend but remember that in Europe you tip a little to show appreciation. Giving more and thinking "I can help them out" is kind of insulting.

Gracie 115,

If you do not want to adapt your US customs to the customs of the host country because YOU are from the USA , fine but such behaviour is simply disgusting.

If you do not want to adapt to the local customs, then stay home. Simple.

Certainly, those who recieve these ridiculously high tips will never complain. But we Europeans, in our own country will be expected to also pay tips "Because the Americans do so" we see this happening more and more and this needs to stop.

Thise who claim that in Europe a 20 percent tip is customary for guides are simply crazyand wrong and are being taken advantage of by some with a hidden agenda.They are simply spreading a disease of overtipping in The EU.

I AM in the travel industry in Europe, so I do know what I am talking about.

Ps. It is our culture in Europe to tip only a dollar or two. Shall I do the same in the USA because it is OUR custom to expect employees to be paid by their employers and get health insurance?!:mad:

Some people on these boards, living in the USA are not willing to listen to change their behavior when visiting other countries. it is real shame as this minority give a whole country a name of trying to impose their rules on the rest of the World and thinking they are somehow superior.

Yet the OP was asking for guidance and YOU are the one coming off as superior with your demeaning comments. They were trying to do the right thing and asking what the right thing was.

Count up how many lectures this innocent person has received in asking for advice on what is the recommended procedure.

Telling them "fine but such behaviour is simply disgusting" isn't helpful but it is pretty judgmental.

Rome in limo is an American company serving mostly US tourists and taking advantage of them by suggesting American tipping practices in Europe, where we tip a couple of Euro , NEVER 20%

Voila, honest advice.

If someone writes that he/ she is from the States and will therefore continue on overseas holidays to practice habits normal in the USA but not appreciated by locals, then expect to be critisized by these same locals here on this forum, which is International.

In the end, we try to give advice, but some here simply refuse to listen to what people who do know better have to say.

It is not because you have been in Europe before and taken a guide that you know what we who live here do. It is truy coming off superiour to claim to know better while in reality they have no clue and merely project their local customs on a culture different to home.

So again, sound advice to the OP...

YES, do tip

How much? A max. Of 10 euro, IF service was outstanding for a trip Rome to Civitaveccia. And that is more than what most Europeans will give, eventhough Rome in Cabs tries to convince the American clients to give more. I call that taking advantage of a certain Nationality, because that is what it is really.

So although it seems service wise Rome in Limo is good, their info on tipping in Italy is totally false and solely written to lure Americans in paying ridiculous amounts of gratuities. And THAT my friends is scamming tourists.

...I don't care if it isn't "customary" it's "OUR" custom in the USA and we like to reward excellent service here and anywhere else we may be....

Gracie, I think you mean well, but just think about turning around what you are saying to apply to others coming to the US.

If someone from Europe posts on these boards that "I dont' care if it's customary to tip in the US, it's OUR custom not to tip and we feel excellent service should be rewarded by the employer via appropriate pay."

People from the US would be all over that statement -- and rightfully so.

As a traveler, you MUST adjust your customs to those in the country you are visiting -- whether you agree with them or not. To do anything else is to propagate an air of "my way is the right way".

Sure, a server probably isn't going to turn down your tip (at least not in Europe, but they will in some places in Asia where the custom is considered downright insulting), BUT that isn't the only issue.

You are going in and changing local customs, mores and expectations for the people who actually live and work there. The result being that when the American tourists leave for the season, workers expect the same level of tipping from their other patrons. And as already pointed out, tipping isn't required in Europe in MOST cases to reach the same salary level for people like waiters and tour guides.

So....please think for a moment about what you are saying. It's easy to adapt to local customs when they agree with what we already do. It's less easy when it's different from our own ways -- but no less a requirement.

Just to give a third point of view,i am not american nor european,and the other day while i was planning for our upcoming cruise,i was checking the rome in limo website,although they are very recommended on cc but when i saw this tipping note i changed my mind....tipping 10 to 20% is out of question to us,especially for a transfer!!! but also i was really worried ,coz this kind of tipping will make US feel guilty now if we dont pay the same:(,and once again..it is out of question.

Gracie, I think you mean well, but just think about turning around what you are saying to apply to others coming to the US.

If someone from Europe posts on these boards that "I dont' care if it's customary to tip in the US, it's OUR custom not to tip and we feel excellent service should be rewarded by the employer via appropriate pay."

People from the US would be all over that statement -- and rightfully so.

As a traveler, you MUST adjust your customs to those in the country you are visiting -- whether you agree with them or not. To do anything else is to propagate an air of "my way is the right way".

Sure, a server probably isn't going to turn down your tip (at least not in Europe, but they will in some places in Asia where the custom is considered downright insulting), BUT that isn't the only issue.

You are going in and changing local customs, mores and expectations for the people who actually live and work there. The result being that when the American tourists leave for the season, workers expect the same level of tipping from their other patrons. And as already pointed out, tipping isn't required in Europe in MOST cases to reach the same salary level for people like waiters and tour guides.

So....please think for a moment about what you are saying. It's easy to adapt to local customs when they agree with what we already do. It's less easy when it's different from our own ways -- but no less a requirement.

I understand your point and appreciate the way you made it and will certainly keep this in mind when we are travelling to other countries... I did know this was the case for waiters & waitresses in most European countries but nearly every tour & guide service we have used has indicators about tipping on their sites...so it does seem a different case for that industry, but perhaps not based on what you are saying. I do think tipping in general is a personal issue though, as I said I'm in the hospitality business and we nearly always tip more than the "norm" even here in the USA as it's a tough business. But I thank you for your words, I guess it's that old "when in Rome do as the Romans do" adage that I should be following!!!:)

I am glad to hear that you are open to listen to our views Gracie115.

I sometimes sound harsh, rude or inappropriate, but do mean well.

I am sure we all agree that in the Hospitality sector, hard work needs to be rewarded. I do tip for good service, In fact, I am a good tipper in the USA ( 20% if satisfied, which I am mostly am). I must also admit that in the USA, we constantly get better service then wherever in my own country. but that is a whole different story.

Please do not be put off by different habits in foreign countries. it enriches your travel experience.

"Europe" is not a single entity with a single culture.

Perhaps 10-20% is the norm in Germany, but I can assure you that what Girrr and I have said is accurate for Italy. In Spain, tipping is even less common. And I've read many, many, many comments from UK travelers who do not tip 10-20%.

I am using RIL and have no plans to tip 20%. We are paying almost 400 Euro for a day tour and I am not adding 80 Euro on top of that. If I were in the US, yes I would because tours are less money and the guides work for tips. Maybe in Germany too. But in Italy they are paid a good wage and I am paying a much higher price for my tour. Locals would never pay those high tips. Round up a bit yes but an extra 80, I don't think so. We Americans like to throw our money around too much!

I am using RIL and have no plans to tip 20%. We are paying almost 400 Euro for a day tour and I am not adding 80 Euro on top of that. If I were in the US, yes I would because tours are less money and the guides work for tips. Maybe in Germany too. But in Italy they are paid a good wage and I am paying a much higher price for my tour. Locals would never pay those high tips. Round up a bit yes but an extra 80, I don't think so. We Americans like to throw our money around too much!

Germany isn't any different. They don't expect you to tip for a tour.

I completely understand what you're saying, but as an American living in Europe it has taken me YEARS to learn that it really is ok to not tip the American way, that people aren't going to have hurt feelings about it.

In American culture if you undertip your service person then you are basically saying to them "I think you're total crap and worthless". It really has become that ruthless and guilt ridden for Americans. When American's come to Europe and tip the American way it's because they really truly do not want to offend anyone, and when you add in the language barrier, they feel that the tip is even more important. It's like the saying goes "better safe than sorry", but we don't realize that tipping isn't the safe option lol. It's not meant to be hurtful or elitist, it's guilt driven really. It's hard to step out of that.

Like I said, it took me years to finally be able to round up the bill to the next Euro or two and not feel guilty.

Amen, and as you can see I am from Germany!!

Tipping in Europe is very personal and let's keep it as it is, you can just say what you think it might be correct without offending anyone, tip if you want and don't if you think you might offend, I do tip everywhere I go and expect a tip when it comes to me, as my friend says "tip is sexy" :)

Have fun

Archived