Rome In Limo tipping

alidor

How much do you tip these people?

That is totally up to you! I don't book terribly expensive tours, I think the most we paid was 100 EUR pp and I tipped the driver 10 EUR and my friend also tipped him 10 EUR.

For our transfer from Rome Hotel to Civitavecchia we paid 30 EUR pp and I tipped 5 EUR. The van held 6, total coast 180 EUR, I'm not sure what everyone else on the van tipped.

For Europe, I usually tipped roughly 10%

there is no need to tip in Italy. It is not expected. mm

On a private tour...you're kidding right :eek::eek:...We had a great driver and had a wonderful day, tipped approx 20% with out hesitation

How much do you tip these people?

I think tipping is highly personal. I think 10% is a very appropriate tip when dealing with the high cost of private tours. But that is just me. The one thing I really don't like is anyone telling me what I am going to tip. When I've had people join our private tours, I just tell them they can tip whatever they choose. I don't like to dictate what anyone should tip.

This is one of those cultural issues we Americans have a problem grasping, and in turn, is causing some issues for those living on the other side of the "pond". Unlike here, wages in Europe aren't dependent upon tips (I think here in Texas we still pay wait staff less than $3 an hour and let the tips make up the difference!). Over the years though due to our failing to learn the local customs tips are becoming expected. On the Rome in Limo web site I see they recommend a 10 to 20 percent tip, but you'll not see many (if any) Europeans tipping at that rate I bet.

So, the answer of no tip is needed is very accurate - even for a private tour. Now, if the service is really exceptional a 5 to 10 percent tip is okay, but never should be automatic IMO.

As noted - no tip is 'expected'. In the case of RIL however, the drivers seem to uniformly be excellent and that should be rewarded with a little extra (which is the original nature of a tip as opposed to the wage offset it has become in the US and on cruise ships)

true for dining but NOT TRUE for private tours......

Definitely tipping should be done on tours. As for restaurants tipping should be done at some, those that have no service charge. They will usually say no service charge on the menu if there is none,

Tipping in Europe always seems to be a contentious issue. For all that Americans are the first to yell at other nationalities for not adhering to American standards in tipping when in America, they cannot seem to NOT tip (or tip less) in places where it really isn't the culture.

Italians do tend to tip, but it's generally a minimal amount -- more as a token means of expressing appreciation and definitely not 10-15%. Waiters and other service people in Europe make a living wage, unlike the US where workers are paid less and expected to supplement their wages with tips.

Americans have traveled so long and so frequently in Italy that, sad to say, Italians have come to expect tips from us, whereas they would not expect the same from a local customer.

Also, Italians do tip maids, bellhops and the like. They will often round up a taxi fare to the next euro or so. And will leave a few euro tip for a meal (again, generally not 10-15%).

Same applies for tour guides -- why wouldn't it? There should be no indication that a tip is anything other than entirely voluntary. I find it really distasteful if RIL truly indicates on their website (as posted above by the mob) that a 10% tip is "standard" and 20% is expected for "exceptional service."

Tipping in Europe always seems to be a contentious issue. For all that Americans are the first to yell at other nationalities for not adhering to American standards in tipping when in America, they cannot seem to NOT tip (or tip less) in places where it really isn't the culture.

Italians do tend to tip, but it's generally a minimal amount -- more as a token means of expressing appreciation and definitely not 10-15%. Waiters and other service people in Europe make a living wage, unlike the US where workers are paid less and expected to supplement their wages with tips.

Americans have traveled so long and so frequently in Italy that, sad to say, Italians have come to expect tips from us, whereas they would not expect the same from a local customer.

Also, Italians do tip maids, bellhops and the like. They will often round up a taxi fare to the next euro or so. And will leave a few euro tip for a meal (again, generally not 10-15%).

Same applies for tour guides -- why wouldn't it? There should be no indication that a tip is anything other than entirely voluntary. I find it really distasteful if RIL truly indicates on their website (as posted above by the mob) that a 10% tip is "standard" and 20% is expected for "exceptional service."

TIPPING:

Tipping is not included in our service fees. It is never mandatory although it is always appreciated.

Standard tipping in Italy ranges between 10 and 20 % depending always on the satisfaction of services.

I would love to know where RIL determined 10 to 20% is the standard tip in Italy. I grew up in Italy, and have travelled there for over 40 years and I've never known anyone besides American tourist to tip these rates. As Cruisemom mentioned above you normally round up the bill, but to state 10 to 20% is standard is really disingenuous.

We are NOT here to judge RIL's service quality, but tipping in Europe, as European citizen, YES, we tip here in Europe and we expect a tip from everyone, 10 to 20% sounds correct to me, you might not agree but that is how it is here in Europe.

"Europe" is not a single entity with a single culture.

Perhaps 10-20% is the norm in Germany, but I can assure you that what Girrr and I have said is accurate for Italy. In Spain, tipping is even less common. And I've read many, many, many comments from UK travelers who do not tip 10-20%.

"Europe" is not a single entity with a single culture.

Perhaps 10-20% is the norm in Germany, but I can assure you that what Girrr and I have said is accurate for Italy. In Spain, tipping is even less common. And I've read many, many, many comments from UK travelers who do not tip 10-20%.

Many of us that travel tip in appreciation of service regardless of where we are ...The "Only" place we have traveled where this wasn't accepted was in China...we were chased down to give it back to us. It's always a personal decision..and many ask for guidelines..nothing wrong with offering those.

Many of us that travel tip in appreciation of service regardless of where we are ...The "Only" place we have traveled where this wasn't accepted was in China...we were chased down to give it back to us. It's always a personal decision..and many ask for guidelines..nothing wrong with offering those.

When I travel, I like to be sensitive to cultural norms. Why should I go in to another country and impose my habits on them? I've often read discussions among Italians wishing Americans wouldn't come in and tip so much because then it becomes the "norm" in their country too.

At any rate, as you yourself said, tipping is a personal decision. Thus, I don't think RIL should be telling people that 10-20% is "standard." Then it doesn't become a personal expression of thanks but an implied obligation.

Rome in Limo is an American company, based in Miami, catering to American tourists. It's a competitive advantage to them if their customers tip, it allows them to get better employees (or subcontractors, depending on their setup) without lowering their own profit margin.

From the company's perspective, everyone wins. The customer gets good service, the employee/subcontractor makes more money than they might with an employer who doesn't push for tips, and the company doesn't have to put out the money themselves or do the paperwork required.

The only loser in this exchange is the customer who has paid more than the market requires for the service. However, Americans are so accustomed to tipping that they don't feel exploited; in fact, based on the many, many threads on this subject, many Americans feel guilty if they don't tip.

It sounds crass, but it's a smart business move. Americans expect to tip, so why not exploit that and make it a competitive advantage?

I've not found an Italian web site for RIL (I checked to see if they made a similar comment to an Italian audience). No matter what they say, it is not common in Italy for customers to tip 10 - 20%.

Just to clarify, RIL is very careful with their language regarding tipping. From their web site:

Standard tipping in Italy ranges between 10 and 20 % depending always on the satisfaction of services.

Note that this does not specify who is doing the tipping. They are careful not to say that Italians tip. You could argue that it's misleading, implying that tipping by anyone, Italian, American or otherwise, is common in Italy. However, if deposed and challenged on this statement, they could say that the intention of the sentence is

Standard tipping [by Americans] in Italy ranges between 10 and 20 % depending always on the satisfaction of services.

This makes perfect sense, as their client base and marketing is primarily to Americans.

We used RIL last summer and we tipped. We were 4 women and a teen. We had bulky luggage and LOTS of luggage. Their drivers were the best we have ever encountered in over 10 cruises. We used them for airport to hotel, hotel to cruise ship, cruise ship back to Rome hotel and hotel to airport. We arrived to find a driver who did absolutely EVERYTHING for us to make our trip great. The driver saw us at our worst...after an overnight flight when we were tired and cranky, flustered and running late to get to the ship, requesting a quick stop at a shop, asking for an earlier than requested pick up when we disembarked, and when they took over, we were able to relax, rest and smile. We tipped...they earned it! We could have used a taxi, but we honestly wouldn't have received this level of service and an honest desire to reassure us that they would take care of everything.

We used RIL last summer and we tipped. We were 4 women and a teen. We had bulky luggage and LOTS of luggage. Their drivers were the best we have ever encountered in over 10 cruises. We used them for airport to hotel, hotel to cruise ship, cruise ship back to Rome hotel and hotel to airport. We arrived to find a driver who did absolutely EVERYTHING for us to make our trip great. The driver saw us at our worst...after an overnight flight when we were tired and cranky, flustered and running late to get to the ship, requesting a quick stop at a shop, asking for an earlier than requested pick up when we disembarked, and when they took over, we were able to relax, rest and smile. We tipped...they earned it! We could have used a taxi, but we honestly wouldn't have received this level of service and an honest desire to reassure us that they would take care of everything.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to convey - there is nothing wrong in tipping! We just need to be aware of local customs, and for someone to state a tipping rate of 10 to 20% for Italy is the "rate" isn't accurate. I'd also state there are times to tip 20% or even more, but only when they've done something way beyond the norm. Two weeks ago in London my driver at Heathrow waited far beyond the normal 45 minute wait time, then went out of his way driving past some of the sights for my niece who was a first time visitor. My rather shy niece was actually asking him all kind of questions, to which he answered and encouraged additional questions about London. Was this part of the service I'd hired? No. I'd hired a driver to pick up two sleep deprived/cranky females, haul all out luggage to the car, and in turn, the hotel. Did I tip him above the normal for London? ohyes! In fact, after looking at the tip he got that "bemused at American tourist look", and told me the tip was too much - told him I knew that, but he earned it.

Just to clarify, RIL is very careful with their language regarding tipping. From their web site:

Note that this does not specify who is doing the tipping. They are careful not to say that Italians tip. You could argue that it's misleading, implying that tipping by anyone, Italian, American or otherwise, is common in Italy. However, if deposed and challenged on this statement, they could say that the intention of the sentence is

Standard tipping [by Americans] in Italy ranges between 10 and 20 % depending always on the satisfaction of services.

This makes perfect sense, as their client base and marketing is primarily to Americans.[/QUOT

TELL EM EC

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has so much tosh and utter nonsense in it I feel obliged to react.

First of all, ROME IN CABS is LYING regarding tipping customs.

We here in Europe DO NOT tip to 20 percent. FACT.

We here inEurope DO round up the bill or tip maybe 5% or a very maximum 10% IF service is excellent.

We do NOT tip taxi drivers, we just round up the fare to the nearest Euro or for long trips 5 euro.

Those who claim otherwise have a hidden agenda.

Please do RESPECT OUR EU customs and DO NOT tip like in the USA. You expect us to adapt to your tipping culture when visiting the US, so show the same courtesy to us Europeans when visiting our country.

Tipping huge amounts is really insulting to us EU residents who do NOT want anything to do with the US tipping culture.

We in the EU actually pay our employees a salary:rolleyes:

Rant over.

Archived