Competition for the Breakaway

booklady26

So, do you think the prices for the Breakaway will come down from the stratosphere now that she'll have competition in the NY area with RCI's Quantum of the Seas sailing from Bayonne in 11/14?

Yep

So, do you think the prices for the Breakaway will come down from the stratosphere now that she'll have competition in the NY area with RCI's Quantum of the Seas sailing from Bayonne in 11/14?

Definitely. Did you see Quantum is going to have bumper cars?!!

I didn't do ice skating on RCI's Explorer of the Seas or bowling on the Gem and won't be doing bumper cars on the Quantum either.

I seriously might try the skydiving though.

Actually what excited me most about this morning's announcement was the homeport. If it means I don't have to fly, I'm there.

And my second thought was, maybe the Breakaway will now be cheaper. I love the 12 night Caribbean itinerary in January 2014 & 2015, but the price for a mini suite is $600-700 more than the Gem was for this year's 12 night sailing in January. Ridiculous. So, I'm opting for Florida/Bahamas (yawn) in October because it's more reasonable. There may not be bumper cars but it has the Rockettes, Rock of Ages and Geoffrey Zacharian. That appeals to me much more.

It is called the North Star. It will be a rotating room that will go out over the ship 300 ft above the water. It will be free.

Unless you want to go at sunrise, sunset or as a private ride and then you have to pay. RCI will nickle and dime you to death :eek:

I have to say--yes! We sailed on RCI on the Explorer of the Seas, kids loved the ice rink. As soon as my girls learn they have bumper cars, they will be asking when we can go on it! It is terrific to have more choices out of the NY/NJ ports so we don't have to fly. Makes it so much more affordable. Can't wait to see the prices once the Quantam sails

Unless you want to go at sunrise, sunset or as a private ride and then you have to pay. RCI will nickle and dime you to death :eek:

Those will be special packages you can book and will include champagne and a meal in one of the specialty restaurants.

It is called the North Star. It will be a rotating room that will go out over the ship 300 ft above the water. It will be free.

Hope they remember to lower that sucker when sailing under the Verrazano Bridge..lol I think its great that two cruiselines are sailing their newest most innovative ships from NY/NJ I'm all about options.

I am so thrilled! And Quantum's ports are really good too! it has an amazing 12 day itinerary just like Breakaway.

I am thinking we will make it a family tradition starting next year! Breakaway in 2014 and Quantum in 2015! A 12 day cruise every January right after the holidays when everyone is all depressed that holidays are over but the cold weather is still around. :D

Actually what excited me most about this morning's announcement was the homeport. If it means I don't have to fly, I'm there.

DITTO!! Quick ride to the port and that's it! Gotta love it.

AND I think the competition will be good for both Breakaway and Quantum.

• 2 weeks later...

I think both ships will be priced at a premium until the newness wears off, maybe a season or two. I'm willing to pay a little more for the convenience of having a ship within an hour of my home and for getting the experience of sailing the newest ships available.

We went on the Silhouette a year or so ago as it spent a winter out of Bayonne sailing to the Caribbean, great ship and cruise. Wish the Breakwaay was doing more 12 days, January is a bad month for us to travel, and the 7 day Bahama itinerary is not enticing, so it will be Explorer in 14' and Quantum in 15'.

For now, 40 days until Breakaway!!!

It would be nice if the prices came down, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure the RC will be more expensive and that will probably be to NCL's advantage. I'll impatiently await for some prices drops after the newness wears off.

Archived