Would a 12 noon flight be too risky?

vinoblanco

We are on the Ruby in August and I need to book our flights back to the UK from Rome. The ship is scheduled to dock at 4am, however, I don't know how soon disembarkation will take place.

There's a flight at 12 noon, which requires us to check in at 10am.

Feasible or risky?

i wouldn't think this would be too risky...suggest that you book private airport transfer and do the self disembarkation...we did this the last time we flew out of Rome and I seem to remember our flights were around this time and we had enough time without rushing...Good luck!!!

Check with Princess to see when debarkation is likely to begin. You say checkin by 10. Does that mean arrive at the airport then or complete checkin? Checkin is likely to take 30 minutes or so. It will take about 60 minutes to go from the cruise terminal to the airport. Allow about 30 minutes to get off, get luggage, clear customs, find your car service. So that should give you the time you need to be off by. Add any slack that will make you comfortable.

Ahh thanks, of course the port is a fair distance from the City, so need to factor in traffic etc.

I think arrival at the airport by 10am will suffice.

The only other option is an overnight stay in rome, but that adds more expense!

We used Princess to arrange our flights from Venice to the US, and we depart Venice at 1:05 pm on May 24, 2013. I'd think if Princess is confident of timing for that flight, you should be OK for a noon flight on your own.

We used Princess to arrange our flights from Venice to the US, and we depart Venice at 1:05 pm on May 24, 2013. I'd think if Princess is confident of timing for that flight, you should be OK for a noon flight on your own.

OP is flying from Rome.

Ahh thanks, of course the port is a fair distance from the City, so need to factor in traffic etc.

I think arrival at the airport by 10am will suffice.

The only other option is an overnight stay in rome, but that adds more expense!

The port of Civitavecchia is not exactly around the corner from FCO. We've been there several times and once it took almost 2 hours to get from the airport to the port. Ask this question on the Europe board where I'm sure you'll find others who have done this route.

Also, change your header to be more specific.

We had a flight at 11:50 AM and took a Princess xfer to the airport.

I do not remember what time we disembarked or what time we arrived at the airport, but we were at the check-in counter at least 30 minutes before it was even open.

So, unlike the others, I would not worry about making your noon flight and also taking a Princess xfer. You will be leaving the ship early enough to make it.

We sailed on Carnival and they had the most efficient transfer setup. We were off the ship and on the bus before you knew it. The ride was about an hour and were were at the check-in counter at 9 am. I am sure Princess uses the same system. Since most flights home leave around noon or earlier, I don't think there should be any problem. You can arrange private transfer but those using Carnival transfers were the first ones off the ship.

If you use a Princess transfer, they will ask the time of your flight and try to schedule accordingly. That said, I think I would prefer a self-disembark and private transfer if ability and budget permit. If there is any delay in docking and/or customs or whatever, a private driver can push it more than a bus can to make up time and will take you directly to your drop point at the airport (a bus could make stops)

If you had a later option, I would say take it, but if 12:00 is the last out, I think its definately doable.

Barring some unusual circumstance, that should be no problem. We had a 12:40 flight last year and made it with ease. We got off the ship around 8 and took a private transfer (with 3 others) to the airport, arriving in plenty of time.

Some people on our cruise had delays as their plane from Chicago did not arrive at all; the airport was a zoo with people being shifted around to other flights. Several of them managed to get on our flight to NY, others we talked to were delayed until 6, others hadn't found a flight yet.

Archived