Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

Posted (edited)

Regent will book Business Class. You are responsible for what that means in terms of seating and amenities (i.e. priority handling, lounge access, etc.) as this varies by airline. As mentioned, you’ll get seat assignments, lie flat business class seats internationally and typically first class seats (if available) on domestic connections for airlines like AA, Delta (Delta One) and United. If Regent books you on a different airline then the seating / amenities can vary as “Business Class” is not a universally defined product among all the airlines. And within an airline equipment issues can also provide inconsistencies in the product. 
Paying for an Air Dev provides a bit more  flexibility and control at your end at a very modest cost. The individual airline  websites generally do a good job of providing information to you on what is provided (lie flat seats, lounge access, etc) for the flights you are looking at. 
It can be a bit of a contact sport with Regent but the itinerary we chose with an Air Dev would have been almost 40% more than the travel credit to book ourselves. So Regent has some great fares in their control. 

Edited by frankpc123

10 hours ago, EMS8 said:

I need a little help with what kind of seats Regent books for you in business class.  I suspect they don’t book you in Polaris business class on United, and sure don’t book you in Delta One on Delta.  So what seating will you get on a Europe cruise in business class air?  Thanks for the help. Next June will be our first time cruising with Regent.  

Just to add, Regent books "Restricted Business Class."  This means different things at different airlines.  At all airlines you'll get whatever their "business class" seat is, but there is a possibility of less amenities.  Most obvious is Qatar where they have a "Business Lite" option for sale.  That is what you'll get with Restricted Business from Regent, so you can go on the Qatar website and see what "Business Lite" is.   

But regardless, when you consider an airlines you're unfamiliar with, simply go on Youtube and put in the airline business class and you will very likely find a tour of their business class. That's what the seat will be no matter what it's called. On Delta it's Delta One, United it's Polaris.  Also keep in mind that Business Class in intra-Europe flights is often just a coach seat with the middle seat blocked out.  So it's important to do your research. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your helpful information.  I think I’ll give our TA several options and let her deal with Regent.  Thanks again.  

• Like 1

As a FYI to those who will be traveling to Asia, we will be on a B2B on Explorer, Singapore to Tokyo, departing Singapore on February 5.  We are doing both a pre and post cruise land package through Regent.  Our flight option window opened yesterday and our TA handled discussions with Regent. We live in the NYC area.

We will be deviating as the non deviating flights were not acceptable for us.  For example the return from Tokyo was to be an evening departure, following a morning hotel checkout, on Hawaiian Air to Honolulu with an 8 hour layover before a flight to JFK.

On deviating we accepted an offer of a non stop from Newark to Singapore on Singapore Air for an additional cost of $500pp.  We jumped at this offer.  Coming back from Tokyo a non stop to JFK was important for us.  We were offered a non stop on ANA departing at approximately 11am.  It’s about a 13 hour trip.  The cost was $2400pp.  As an alternative we were offered flights at no additional cost on either Turkish Air on Philippines Air with one stop.  The Turkish Air flight had a layover of 55 minutes in Istanbul which we thought was problematic.  The problem, at least for us, was that the flights would end up with over 24 hours of total travel.  We know from prior travel that after a long trip we want to get back home as quickly as possible.

I priced out the flights we are doing on Google Flight at $11,100+pp  if we were to book on our own.  Taking the air credit into account we would be paying more if we booked on our own than we are with the Regent deviation.

Overall, it was our decision to take on the added costs but we have to note that Regent did present a variety of options at lesser cost.  Our TA and the Regent rep had everything wrapped up in a few hours.  Hope this information is useful to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Flying keeps on getting more and more unappealing. Buying a "basic busines" ticket which won't be cheap and not being able to get amenities like access to lounge and included luggage will make us travelers very unhappy. I hope airlines reconsider. It's bad enough flying is a hassle nowadays.

21 hours ago, forevertravel said:

Flying keeps on getting more and more unappealing. Buying a "basic busines" ticket which won't be cheap and not being able to get amenities like access to lounge and included luggage will make us travelers very unhappy. I hope airlines reconsider. It's bad enough flying is a hassle nowadays.

Agreed for sure, but airlines are going to market for maximum profit.  I am a retired Delta pilot. I remember when Delta went non-smoking.  The prediction was they'd go out of business. Then they added baggage fees, the predictions was they'd go out of business.  Then they took away meals, the prediction was they'd go out of business.  We all simply accept all those things now.  Same will happen with "business lite."  People who never flew Business before will find it worth the savings to move up front even without lounge access, seat selections, and free bags.  I'm surprised they haven't gone that way yet.  Sadly when one "goes" the others will follow. 

• Like 1

And then it goes the other way too. New airline in Canada called Porter Airlines came in to the market offering free beer and wine on all routes. Mainline carrier Air Canada followed suit. There’s hope folks!

• Like 4

Also, as has probably already been mentioned--

Get a Credit Card "sponsored" by the airline(s) you most-often grace with your patronage.  At-least the first bag will be "free"; maybe even the second, in Business; or the first in Coach.  Unless United takes away another benefit: utilize that CC enough during a year; get two Lounge Access Passes.  

Nostalgic: The olden, golden days flying on Northwest Orient Airlines (NOA) from SEATAC westward across the Pacific; or on United or British Airways (BA) winging eastward to Europe on 747s.  When in Business Class, upper Deck was a Lounge w/attended Bar.  And, sofas.  If in the "below deck"--generous included libations.  Actual leg room to stretch-out. 

BA held-on to 747s up to 2020.  We were in Row 62, or maybe it was Row 63, upper deck, on one of the last flights before Pandemic returning from Heathrow to SEA following Explorer segments. 

No more 747s on BA or United.  Do not ask how many years-ago on NOA.  Time marches on.  We have to adapt to the present reality.  Too many passengers; too few seats.  Supply and demand.    

Hope to see some of you aboard Grandeur at L.A. in early January for another Canal transit. 

GOARMY!

Also, AmEx platinum card holders receive a checked luggage refund from them when you book the flight on this card. The number of checked bag fees pp depends on the class of seating booked. We always book business, and we get two checked bags pp. As it is an AmEx refund, any airline will do. Also Amex has established nice lounges in many airports that card members can use. These are handy, since the airlines have refused to admit business/first flyers who are no going international

‘’there is no reason to be concerned about deviation now, as Regent has stopped including flights in the cruise fare. Just pick out the flight plan you want and check Regent’s price for it compared with what you or your TA can get.

Another thing AnEx platinum provides is some degree of travel insurance. As I don’t know the extent of coverage completely we always but more inclusive travel insurance too on longer, more expensive trips.but last year, our domestic flight was cancelled at the first connection, forcing a hotel stay. Amex covered it.

Back before Regent stopped including air, we always deviated. Regent had a habit of booking too many connections with layovers too long and too short. When an intercontinental leg was involved, it would fly us around the U.S. with an unneeded number of connections, making the intercontinental business class leg as short and inexpensive as possible. We always deviated our air out of that situation. But now, as I said, just pick out your route and flights and shop for the best price. Was the price of this ever too high for us? Yes. Since we did this before the penalty period, we’d just cancel the cruise.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Back before Regent stopped including air, we always deviated

Regent hasn't "stopped" including air, they ALWAYS had an Air Credit if you didn't want to use Regent's air.  Nothing has changed except the way they present the cost on the web and the addition of a choice to go in Economy.  Before if a cruise was..say.. $10,000, they'd show an "Air Credit" of say...$3000.  So you could just book the cruise for $7000 or you could book cruise and air for $10,000. NOW they show the cruise rate ($7000) and an add on of say...$1500 for economy or $3000 for Business Class. But the cost of cruise and Business Class is still $10,000 just like before. 

If you choose to purchase Regent Air you can still deviate.  In fact they made it easier as you now have a $500 Blacklane credit you can use to get from the airport to the ship or hotel.

Nothing has changed.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Regent hasn't "stopped" including air, they ALWAYS had an Air Credit if you didn't want to use Regent's air.  Nothing has changed except the way they present the cost on the web and the addition of a choice to go in Economy.  Before if a cruise was..say.. $10,000, they'd show an "Air Credit" of say...$3000.  So you could just book the cruise for $7000 or you could book cruise and air for $10,000. NOW they show the cruise rate ($7000) and an add on of say...$1500 for economy or $3000 for Business Class. But the cost of cruise and Business Class is still $10,000 just like before. 

If you choose to purchase Regent Air you can still deviate.  In fact they made it easier as you now have a $500 Blacklane credit you can use to get from the airport to the ship or hotel.

Nothing has changed.

You’re clearly looking at different cruises than I have been. Before this year the typical business class air credit was around $3,000 or a bit less. Now I’m seeing business class air surcharges around $10,000, especially considering that I live on the west coast. Also that $7,000 cruise is now more like $9,000. 

I think I understand the reasons for the changes and that’s life. But saying “it’s all the same just presented differently” is bogus. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

You’re clearly looking at different cruises than I have been. Before this year the typical business class air credit was around $3,000 or a bit less. Now I’m seeing business class air surcharges around $10,000, especially considering that I live on the west coast. Also that $7,000 cruise is now more like $9,000. 

I think I understand the reasons for the changes and that’s life. But saying “it’s all the same just presented differently” is bogus. 

In the past Regent was able to secure contract rates for their cruises. It is now much more difficult.  I am a retired airline pilot, my son is a current airline pilot.  The airlines are critically short of crews and equipment.  Therefore the flights are flying full.  Business Class is the airline's "bread and butter."  It is selling like crazy.  Therefore the airlines are unwilling to give cut rates to anyone.  I track airline flight costs frequently as I have a number of trips in the future, including with Regent.  When Regent posts a fare, it's because they can secure a seat at that price.  

When I book a cruise I compare what I can get a flight for vs. purchasing through Regent, then book whichever is cheapest.  None of this has changed, the airlines have simply raised their fares.  But it's starting to slow down.  So there's a good chance we'll be seeing either lower air fares or, at least, a leveling of air fares.  But either way, it is airline driven, just like it's always been. 

As for cruise only cost...yup....went up...significantly....just like it's done a few times per year every year since we first sailed in 2018.  And the same is true for EVERY cruise line out there.  Try to book on Royal Caribbean's Icon of the Seas and see what it costs!  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

In the past Regent was able to secure contract rates for their cruises. It is now much more difficult.  I am a retired airline pilot, my son is a current airline pilot.  The airlines are critically short of crews and equipment.  Therefore the flights are flying full.  Business Class is the airline's "bread and butter."  It is selling like crazy.  Therefore the airlines are unwilling to give cut rates to anyone.  I track airline flight costs frequently as I have a number of trips in the future, including with Regent.  When Regent posts a fare, it's because they can secure a seat at that price.  

When I book a cruise I compare what I can get a flight for vs. purchasing through Regent, then book whichever is cheapest.  None of this has changed, the airlines have simply raised their fares.  But it's starting to slow down.  So there's a good chance we'll be seeing either lower air fares or, at least, a leveling of air fares.  But either way, it is airline driven, just like it's always been. 

As for cruise only cost...yup....went up...significantly....just like it's done a few times per year every year since we first sailed in 2018.  And the same is true for EVERY cruise line out there.  Try to book on Royal Caribbean's Icon of the Seas and see what it costs!  

Your post is informative and accurate as far as I can tell. More accurate than the post I was responding to. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on my experience with Regent's air/flight department yesterday - I thought I had to share some of that experience.  For those that have had bad experiences in booking flights or are hesitant to deviate, let me say that the system still works and it is relatively painless.  The Regent representative I worked with yesterday went above and beyond to help.  I had done my due diligence for flights for our upcoming Rio-Lisbon cruise (out of Charlotte).  I had a pretty good handle on the cost of flights and what the various airline schedules were. I presented my choices to the rep and I was able to get my fist choice in one direction and second choice on the other.  In one case there was, what I consider a modest upcharge.  On the other, there was initially a fairly significant upcharge.  After a bit of time on hold, the rep came back with "good news" - she had managed to get the same connections with NO upcharge.  Throughout the process, the rep listened to my thoughts/questions and offered several suggestions. She spent a fair amount of time with me and never seemed in a hurry to move on - she wanted to help. In the end, as mentioned, I was able to get flights from my list of choices. So - IMHO, the Regent air department/deviation is worth a look.  My preference is, and always has been, to book through Regent whenever possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 10:16 AM, carolina cruisin said:

Based on my experience with Regent's air/flight department yesterday - I thought I had to share some of that experience.  For those that have had bad experiences in booking flights or are hesitant to deviate, let me say that the system still works and it is relatively painless.  The Regent representative I worked with yesterday went above and beyond to help.  I had done my due diligence for flights for our upcoming Rio-Lisbon cruise (out of Charlotte).  I had a pretty good handle on the cost of flights and what the various airline schedules were. I presented my choices to the rep and I was able to get my fist choice in one direction and second choice on the other.  In one case there was, what I consider a modest upcharge.  On the other, there was initially a fairly significant upcharge.  After a bit of time on hold, the rep came back with "good news" - she had managed to get the same connections with NO upcharge.  Throughout the process, the rep listened to my thoughts/questions and offered several suggestions. She spent a fair amount of time with me and never seemed in a hurry to move on - she wanted to help. In the end, as mentioned, I was able to get flights from my list of choices. So - IMHO, the Regent air department/deviation is worth a look.  My preference is, and always has been, to book through Regent whenever possible.

Thanks, Carolina cousin!  I have air deviation, and an excellent TA. While  I have several flight options I’m very particular, so trying to determine if dealing with Regent Air directly will be more efficient than through my TA.  Your experience with Regent Air is quite encouraging!  Any other experiences booking directly with Regent Air?

I have done this both ways - via TA and on my own.  I now find it a bit easier to do it on my own.  It allows me to ask questions and make decisions real-time rather than going back and forth with TA. On my latest interaction with Regent Air Dept - the "agent" was extremely helpful, patient, and IMO - went out of her way to satisfy my preferences AND providing the best/most cost effective way.  I understand that some prefer booking their own rather than through Regent - but working with Regent is more in my comfort zone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bebop bonnie said:

I have several flight options I’m very particular, so trying to determine if dealing with Regent Air directly will be more efficient than through my TA.

As Carolina Cruisin said it's WAY better to call Regent Custom Air directly.  The hold time is generally short or you can leave a call back number.  I have ALWAYS had excellent success with them.  I present all my choices and they let me know if doable either with or without an up grade cost. And you can ask them what THEY can book you on and they'll let you know. 

I called a week ago for our cruise next year that ends in Cape Town. We are saying 9 days for a safari so I needed to leave out of Johannesburg.  I looked at all my options and could pretty much tell by cost what was likely going to be available.  Of course the Delta non-stop was a non-starter from the start, knew that as it was about 3 times more expensive than other airlines, but Virgin and Turkish both had around the cheaper rates but 9 hour layovers. Anyway, called Custom Air, asked about Delta... anyway... the Agent told me he could put me on Qatar with a 3 hour layover in Doha...for NO up charge!! Jumped on it. So figure what you want, call them DIRECTLY and also be sure to have them assign your seats. They'll assign them if the airline allows it. I did that and we have seat assignment on our flight in June. 😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

They'll assign them if the airline allows it. I did that and we have seat assignment on our flight in June. 😎

Thanks, papaflamingo…but I’m a bit confused🤪.  It sounds like you have flights booked for a June cruise.  Already?  Our flights/cruise to Tokyo is in mid April and I’m supposedly not able to book flights for another 9 days.  Am I missing something?  Again, thank you!  Bonnie

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 11:52 AM, bebop bonnie said:

Thanks, papaflamingo…but I’m a bit confused🤪.  It sounds like you have flights booked for a June cruise.  Already?  Our flights/cruise to Tokyo is in mid April and I’m supposedly not able to book flights for another 9 days.  Am I missing something?  Again, thank you!  Bonnie

Yes.. the window actually opens 210 days before the DEPARTURE of your cruise.  We are not using Regent Air to get to the cruise, only to come home.  But the cruise departs on March 25 so even though we are only booking a return in June, we could actually do that Aug. 27 which is 210 days before our March 25 departure.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2024 at 12:06 PM, Chandon90 said:

Does anyone know the custom air departments days and hours.  My 210 day window apparently opens next Saturday and I’m not sure if we have to wait until Monday to call them?

I think it's Monday through Friday, 9-5 Eastern time.  But call when you are ready and the recording will tell you the actual times. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2024 at 10:37 AM, papaflamingo said:

All is true.  Though, I noticed that Regent elevated air price exactly when they started to sell cruise only and add air - on our December 1 cruise the business air was $5,600 pp, and right after the pricing system change it became $7,620.  It has nothing to do with air company elevating prices, because, otherwise Regent would also increase prices at each time air goes up by an airline.  I randomly looked some other Regent international cruises and see the same outcome.