“cruise-sized” ports

AFuncruiser

We just returned from five nights on the beach in San Juan and a seven night cruise on the Carnival Valor.. Amazing how many of the ports of call seem to be evolving into what I call “cruise-sized” .. At the end of the pier there is Diamond International, tee shirt shops and every third store a jewelry store. The cruise was just ok nothing to write home about.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

I'm not sure I understand the point...

There are these shops because people shop at them. I certainly hope this was not the reason your cruise was "just ok". I don't know anything about cruising elsewhere in the world, but if it was the reason, maybe cruising in the Carribean isn't for you. Just a thought.

I'm with you. :confused:

I've done this same itinerary twice from San Juan (on the Victory). I'm not a shopper so I don't pay much attention to the port shops but I love to snorkel and I can tell you that if you leave the port area and get out and about these islands have a lot to offer. Beautiful land, jungles, beaches, sailing, awesome caribbean food at local dives, forts and fortresses, volcanoes, etc. I think if you just cruise to visit Diamonds International you're really missing out.

There are these shops because people shop at them.

...maybe cruising in the Caribbean isn't for you. Just a thought.

I believe I do get the point. With these chain stores like Diamonds International, and chain restaurants and bars like Señor Frogs popping at every Caribbean destination, these islands stop loosing their unique identity and all of them start looking the same.

I've always recommended the Southern Caribbean over the Western Caribbean itinerary, largely because ports like Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman have become such cookie-cutter destinations, while the islands in the Sourhern Caribbean have been more resistant about change and still maintain their identity, giving cruisers a true taste of what the Caribbean is about.

Seems like that might be coming to an end.

There are these shops because people shop at them. I certainly hope this was not the reason your cruise was "just ok". I don't know anything about cruising elsewhere in the world, but if it was the reason, maybe cruising in the Carribean isn't for you. Just a thought.

You make a good point. I have been to the Caribbean so many times very little is new and exciting.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Looking at the OP's cruise history, I took it as he was noticing how the ports have physically changed. After 47 cruises, I'm sure he has noticed more stores and restaurants pop up in the area where the ships dock. Maybe he was thinking back to when people could get off the ship and see the island, not a shopping district.

OP--if that's not what you meant, sorry for putting words in your mouth. I didn't take it as a reason not to visit those ports, just a commentary on how things have changed over the years.

I'm surprised that there isn't a Starbucks next to every Diamonds International. Really had to laugh on our last cruise. One of the islands we stopped at had two Diamonds International within a few stores of each other.

I believe I do get the point. With these chain stores like Diamonds International, and chain restaurants and bars like Señor Frogs popping at every Caribbean destination, these islands stop loosing their unique identity and all of them start looking the same.

I've always recommended the Southern Caribbean over the Western Caribbean itinerary, largely because ports like Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman have become such cookie-cutter destinations, while the islands in the Sourhern Caribbean have been more resistant about change and still maintain their identity, giving cruisers a true taste of what the Caribbean is about.

:) You understand...

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

I'm surprised that there isn't a Starbucks next to every Diamonds International. Really had to laugh on our last cruise. One of the islands we stopped at had two Diamonds International within a few stores of each other.

They even have Diamonds International in Alaska. You all do realize you can move beyond the end of the pier tho....right?:confused:

Western Caribbean has places like Costa Maya (at least before the hurricane), Belize, Roatan, and even Limon Costa Rica and Colon Panama that weren't cookie cutter stops and didn't have a lot of the stores you can find in Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

I will recommend Cozumel and Grand Cayman cruises to people who may be new to cruising for the fact that if they haven't been to a lot of countries outside the US, then these are going to be among the most Americanized ports.

You make a good point.

I have been to the Caribbean so many times very little is new and exciting.

This happens when one visits again and again.

Maybe the time has come for you to try Antarctica and the Far East.

Bookings are available. Call now! Operators are standing by!

:) You understand...

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

My wife and I agree. We just got back from a Bahamas cruise and my wife likes hitting the straw markets and such. She stopped going because they all have the same stuff.

My wife and I agree. We just got back from a Bahamas cruise and my wife likes hitting the straw markets and such. She stopped going because they all have the same stuff.

Recently at the straw market in St. Lucia same crap as Nassau..

Dennis

Obviously you have to get beyond the immediate port area. Face it- the ports are usually horrible. Large fuel storage tanks, warehouses- the usual things one would see in a port. I think Progreso wins- an entire port dedicated to breaking up old concrete and storing rusting vessels, IMHO. So señor frogs, etc etc, and a claustrophobic straw market are usually an improvement. Obviously one needs to get away from the wharf area ASAP.

OP, I get it that you are sick of Carnival and the Bahamas. Agreed.

DI in Alaska? Why would anyone goto Alaska and go into a DI?

Why would anyone go to a DI ANYWHERE? That is the question. There is a huge disconnect here between the number of threads devoted to the excruciating examination of Onboard accounts, cappuccino prices, tipping, and then the fact that people are buying diamonds on cruises. What is UP with that.

For our family, lots of shops right at the port is a plus. My father in law is in a wheelchair and he enjoys cruising. He can get off the ship for a while and browse and people watch with my mother in law while the rest of us explore. We try to find things he can do away from the port, but that's not always possible.

Western Caribbean has places like Costa Maya (at least before the hurricane), Belize, Roatan, and even Limon Costa Rica and Colon Panama that weren't cookie cutter stops and didn't have a lot of the stores you can find in Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

I will recommend Cozumel and Grand Cayman cruises to people who may be new to cruising for the fact that if they haven't been to a lot of countries outside the US, then these are going to be among the most Americanized ports.

I'm not sure when you last visited Belize or Costa Maya, but the cookie cutter has made it's way to both of these ports.

I've only ever been to two ports in the Caribbean that don't have the cookie cutter port areas. One was in Guatemala, which I don't think any cruise lines visit anymore. Other was Dominica, which was an absolutely spectacular place to visit!

I subscribe to the old adage that the best Island in the Carib has a Captain, the exception to this rule is Cuba.

The worst port I have docked in is Agadir Morocco, the prime birth is next to the fish fertilizer factory and the fly museum.

Archived