Glacier bay viewing from balcony/haven top deck?

gladgirl

Hi -

We will be cruising Glacier Bay in about 4 weeks (Yeah!)! I am really excited about this part of the cruise and want to make sure I make the most of it.

That being said - dh hates to be cold and will probably want to be on our balcony so he can go in and out more easily. We have a suite on deck 14, NCL Pearl. I noticed there is an open deck on deck 15 but I can't tell if it is Haven guests only or not (meaning I can't tell if it will be crowded).

Will we miss anything by staying on our balcony and only having a one sided view? I am wondering how crowded the main decks get and if we should scope out a spot on deck 15?

Second part of that question is will the rangers that come on board give any informational talks that we should be aware of and watching for?

Thanks!

Try to go up top from time to time because your best vantage point is from the open deck so you can see all sides and move around with ease. I get cold easy too but the key is to layer your clothing and bring the right clothes so you can stay warm.

Keith

On most large ships the open decks are not crowded at least not for long as many folks have a short attention span. I do out early and try different areas around the ship and am dressed for the situation.

I do not do sit down meals during glacier viewing times.

Limiting your self to one location means that you will miss some of the viewing. Also the ranger talks can be heard in certain areas of the open decks and on your tv. Likely can't be heard on your balcony.

I am always amazed that so many folks give up on glacier viewing and go inside for long sit down meals, bars etc.

Refer to Budget Queen's posts for great specific details on glacier viewing.

Hi -

We will be cruising Glacier Bay in about 4 weeks (Yeah!)! I am really excited about this part of the cruise and want to make sure I make the most of it.

That being said - dh hates to be cold and will probably want to be on our balcony so he can go in and out more easily. We have a suite on deck 14, NCL Pearl. I noticed there is an open deck on deck 15 but I can't tell if it is Haven guests only or not (meaning I can't tell if it will be crowded).

Will we miss anything by staying on our balcony and only having a one sided view? I am wondering how crowded the main decks get and if we should scope out a spot on deck 15?

Second part of that question is will the rangers that come on board give any informational talks that we should be aware of and watching for?

Thanks!

Your basic question, yes, certainly you will "miss" viewing potential, with only one side of view. Best- if you plan on this is to have a PORT side cabin. Otherwise the ranger commentary is not going to match up with what you are viewing. Yes the rangers do give one program, which they announce when. This is AFTER the initial Margerie/Grand Pacific glacier "stop".

What you should be "watching" for will be announced as you are passing by, for most by the rangers. Depending on your routing- the potential can start prior to dawn. Depends on YOU. But even from a balcony- it is likely to be cold, with layers, hat and gloves needed. Being well prepared in your attire is well worth the effort.

I am always amazed that so many folks give up on glacier viewing and go inside for long sit down meals, bars etc.

Refer to Budget Queen's posts for great specific details on glacier viewing.

We did a cruise and noticed that 3 or 4 couples spent the entire Glacier Bay time in the hot tub in the sanctuary. They could not see a thing. Nuf said.

DON

Hi -

Thanks!

Simple solution - let dh stay in the cabin and miss half of the glacier and you go on the deck so you can see everything. My wife and I do things like that all the time on trips and cruises. Marriage does not have to mean that you have to do everything together.

DON

DH and I had a balcony room on Celebrity but went up top dressed warmly. Wouldn't have missed that gorgeous early morning view for anything. A Native American guide had come on board at last port and gave a poetic and interesting narration for about half an hour. After a while DH went to gym and pedaled away on stationary bike while watching the scenery in picture window while I stayed and gazed. I did accept a nice hot (and pricy) thermos of Irish coffee as it was pretty cold.

We did a cruise and noticed that 3 or 4 couples spent the entire Glacier Bay time in the hot tub in the sanctuary. They could not see a thing. Nuf said.

DON

They must have been pretty pruned too! That's a long time in a hot tub!

They must have been pretty pruned too! That's a long time in a hot tub!

To be precise, they did get out of the hot tub occasionally. However, they never left the sanctuary area so they never saw Glacier Bay. Just think, for what they saw, they could have taken a cruise to Newark NJ (LOL).

DON

To be precise, they did get out of the hot tub occasionally. However, they never left the sanctuary area so they never saw Glacier Bay. Just think, for what they saw, they could have taken a cruise to Newark NJ (LOL).

DON

So sad!

I agree that if you are on your balcony, you miss more than half the view. When we went HAL opened up the bow and it was a really good place to be. Depending on which ship you are on there may be an indoor place at the from of the ship with large windows. If's not like it goes by fast (except for calving) so if you see something you like coming up, you can go outside.

DON

I'm thankful for these, and the underprepared attire people. :) Gives me, "their" space. :)

Archived