Which side of ship

jon46

It's luck of the draw, really. Sometimes the ships pull in, and sometimes they back in. Depends on the port, the docks, and whatever mood the captain is in. On the Glory in Nassau, the captain usually backs in, but pulls in at Freeport. Sorry this isn't a definitive answer. Enjoy your cruise regardless!

I could be wrong here, but rule of thumb is portside are generally the side of the ship with even numbers. Like another poster said it also depends on how the ship pulls into port.

There is really no way to know. We book primarily on Starboard side (only out of habit) and have faced the port in at least 50% of our dockings. The one time we booked the Port side, just to try it (our Med cruise), we were very disappointed as the ship seemed to dock with the Starboard side facing the ports more often than not. Agree, it is the luck of the draw, it is the dock available on your date for being there that determines which side. Good luck in your choice!

We were port side on the Liberty on the Western Caribbean itinerary, and we faced the ports we actually docked at, but not the tender ports. It is luck of the draw.

I must say that we do book even numbered cabins, but that's more to satisfy my mild OCD than a preferred side of the ship. Our next cruise we have an aft balcony so we should get to see the port regardless!:D

There is really no way to know. We book primarily on Starboard side (only out of habit) and have faced the port in at least 50% of our dockings. The one time we booked the Port side, just to try it (our Med cruise), we were very disappointed as the ship seemed to dock with the Starboard side facing the ports more often than not. Agree, it is the luck of the draw, it is the dock available on your date for being there that determines which side. Good luck in your choice!

Our last cruise we booked starboard and faced the port at 3 out of 4 dockings.

Every time I've been on the fantasy she docked on her starboard side. Not to say that she won't dock port side. Hint for you though while still in charleston harbor go to the port side seems like there are always dolphins swimming near the ship in the harbor.

We always book a Port side cabin for our cruise simply because this makes it easier for us to remember which way to go when exiting the elevators. :)

Unless you come out of the opposite facing elevator. :eek: Screws us up all the time.

I could be wrong here, but rule of thumb is portside are generally the side of the ship with even numbers.
It helps to keep an eye out for these directional signs in hallways..

DeckSign-407.jpg

The blue and red arrows at either end indicate whether you're headed forward or aft

but I can't remember which is which, now!

Sign-572.jpg

I hadn't heard that one about the even numbers. Im disappointed now as we are in an odd cabin on the sunshine:(

Even numbers on the Port side and Odd numbers on the Starboard side is how all Carnival ships are numbered.

Since the cabins numbers are low to high, bow to stern, I'd say the red arrow means forward and the blue means aft.

She docks in Charleston with starboard side along the pier, so you have a view there of downtown; port side faces over toward Patriots Point.

Nassau, it just depends, as noted. I've been docked there all over the place. Last two times (on Fantasy last Oct B2B), we were at the very last dock, the big, long one where the RCI jumbo ships dock. Both times there were two Fantasy-class ships docks there. Both times we were starboard side (bow in) to the port; port side facing the little strip of island with the lighthouse at the end, Paradise island off the bow, portside in the distance.

Freeport? Don't know yet. We skipped it in October due to Hurricane Sandy. Can let you know in about 10 days. Every time I've been there we've also been starboard side to the dock, but there's another ship in port with us next week, so who knows?

Where else does she sail? Half Moon Cay - tender port - but again, it seems every time I've been there, it's been starboard toward the beach.

Grand Turk - have always been docked with the starboard side to the pier, which puts the port side facing the beach EXCEPT last time. I think we almost didn't stop there (which would've meant two missed stops out of 3 ports) because there were still high winds in the Sandy aftermath. That time, we were docked on the other side with port side against the pier and facing the beach.

There are a few pics in my review thread from October.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732799&highlight=hurricane+sandy

Wow, another day I learned something on this board.

I never did notice/pay attention to the color arrows. I always just looked for the odd or even numbers then the group my cabin was in.

The blue and red is an added bonus....

Thanks for that info....

Planning on a Carnival Fantasy cruise from Charlston, SC. Like to have a stateroom on the side of the ship that faces the ports. Anyone know which side that is.

I cannot answer this question, but here is another issue that you might consider. We were midship on Deck 8 on Magic in January, which put us right above the hot tub outside Ocean Plaza. Unfortunately, we were on the smoking side of the ship and even though we were several decks up, the odor of smoke was still evident, even in our room. It definitely impacted our use of the balcony.

Wow, another day I learned something on this board.

I never did notice/pay attention to the color arrows.

I always just looked for the odd or even numbers then the group my cabin was in.

The blue and red is an added bonus....Thanks for that info....

Glad I could help in that respect.

I take pics of "everything" on board, in the event it might prove useful later.

As it turns out, these shots on two separate cruises, worked out for you.

The only two reasons to plan for one side of the ship over another:

Smoking - If your balcony is just above or below a public deck where smoking is allowed (Starboard only, I think, could be wrong). If you are a smoker you don't care. If you are not, you may care a great deal.

View - If you are north bound to Alaska, Starboard makes more sense than Port. If you are southbound from Alaska, Port has better views.

Just my own humble opinion, worth about 2 cents.

View - If you are north bound to Alaska, Starboard makes more sense than Port.

If you are southbound from Alaska, Port has better views.

Sounds like the alleged origin of the English word POSH (fancy, lah-de-dah).

Supposed to be Port Outbound...Starboard Home! ..for those who can make such arrangements.

Good luck with yours! ;)

We always book a Port side cabin for our cruise simply because this makes it easier for us to remember which way to go when exiting the elevators. :)

Unless you come out of the opposite facing elevator. :eek: Screws us up all the time.

I thought the same thing when I read the first post above. That's why we always try to get a cabin right by the elevators. That way if we do go the wrong way, we don't have to go far to go the right way. :confused:

Archived