Istanbul overnight

Karen Lynn

In port overnight--walking distance from port I am told to what area?

Market a taxi ride? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!!!:)

uh, yes but...

Istanbul is a city of 14 million so lots to see and more than one market. The Grand Bazaar is where many go, same for the Spice Market. Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque on and on. Istanbul is a wonderful city. They have good public transportation so you can also take a tram from near the port (depends how many ships when your in which exact dock). I recommend hiring a local guide to make best use of your time but it depends on your interests of course

Also be careful about cab drivers ... they are notorious in Istanbul.

When we docked there last August it was a short walk to the Modern Art Museum. I highly recommend the museum if such things interest you -- it isn't just paintings.

Mura

In port overnight--walking distance from port I am told to what area?

Market a taxi ride? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!!!:)

12071575-istanbul-cruise-ship-terminals-from-the-water-side-the-docks-for-cruise-ships-extend-along-the-shore.jpg Istanbul is odd in that, although there is a Terminal Building (the one with the square tower in the previous photo) the Ships are simply moored along a section of open wharf.

14721192-istanbul--july-31-cruise-ship-terminals-on-july-31-2012-in-istanbul-the-docks-for-cruise-ships-exten.jpg The "secure area" is expanded and contracted, dependent on the number of ships, but once down the gangway you will virtually be IN a dense, highly commercial area of town known as the Karaköy. Charming by day, but perhaps iffy by night.

120047.jpg

From Karaköy , you will technically be within walking distance of most of the major Istanbul "top sites", but this is a city where there is so much to see that hiring a Guide seems a better choice.

private_istanbul_driver_tour_02[1][1].jpg

uh, yes but...

Istanbul is a city of 14 million so lots to see and more than one market. The Grand Bazaar is where many go, same for the Spice Market. Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque on and on. Istanbul is a wonderful city. They have good public transportation so you can also take a tram from near the port (depends how many ships when your in which exact dock). I recommend hiring a local guide to make best use of your time but it depends on your interests of course

Is the Grand Bizarre walking distance?

Is the Grand Bizarre walking distance?

~3.5 Kms (just over 2 miles)

Go to a mapping web site and enter get directions from 'Istanbul Museum of Modern Art" (as per Mura's post it is a notable site near the terminal) and 'Grand Bazaar, Istanbul"

You'll see the route. Getting over the bridge is fairly straight forward (and on a nice day great views) but smaller streets can be tricky

The Grand Bazaar is notable in that it was already open for business when Columbus sailed for America, but if you have been to a large indoor flea market in a major city in the United States, the Bazaar isn't very exciting or different.

For better or worse, Turkish teenagers seem to want the same tee shirts, tube sox and CD's as American teenagers. .

DSCN0747.jpg

You will also find the Grand Bazaar to be a bit of a maze, and there are a number of dead ends. Be sure to make note of the entrance that you used, to avoid becoming disoriented.

grand-bazaar-istanbul-turkey.jpg

There is a tram stop a short distance from where the ship docks. The onboard local expert should be able to give you a map and point you towards the right direction. You'll have to have some turkish lira to buy tokens. Buying power is also better if you have TLs. The tram will take you across the Galata bridge to the old town where you will find all the sights within a short walking distance. Take a few hours to wander the streets and you can see the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar. You can buy tickets to Hagia Sophia online rather than standing in the long line to buy tickets. Most other attractions in the old town are free.

I agree with Betty. It is so easy to use the modern tram, which will whisk you directly to Sultanahmet Square (for Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque) in 15 minutes. Two stops late on the same tram will take you to the Grand Bazaar. There are now many traffic restrictions in the historic area, and traffic is a nightmare, so using public transportation really is the best.

Rick Steves' Istanbul guidebook, actually written by two local guides, has a great deal of excellent information regarding the main sights, transportation and wonderful walking tours.

I do agree that the tram is easy to use BUT ... in our experience it was always standing room and no way to see outside the window to figure out just where you are.

No problem if you are only going one stop!

But for transportation from the port to the "high sights" it's a lot better (i.e., less expensive) way to go than a cab or guide.

I'm not arguing against guides! But you CAN do it on your own.

Regarding the Grand Bazaar, I'm not a shopper so I rushed through as fast as I could. We loved our Food Markets Tour with Context Travel which started out at the food markets and went across the river. We ended with lunch over there and returned to our side of the river. You probably don't have time for the Context tour if you're only in port that one day, but irf you are interesting in cooking then I would suggest you go to the Spice Market (close to the Grand Bazaar).

You CAN do this on your own, we have. But on the tour we went to special shops where we got free tastings and samples, plus excellent descriptions of everything from our guide.

Since you are over-nighting you COULD do the tour we did, or others. I do recommend Context Travel. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

And you wouldn't be limited to the Markets Tour -- they have plenty. A couple on our tour (we were a group of six) said it was the best tour they took on the entire cruise.

Mura

Kudos to Jim and Stan for the great pix of the Grand Bazaar and its map. Amazing - they are such a wonderful resource.

For anyone visiting the Bazaar without a book or paper map showing the interior layout, you can take a photo of the entrance/street name through which you entered, as well as a picture of the bazaar map that is posted near each major entrance.

We brought up the map on our camera's display twice while inside and zoomed in til we could see (a) where we were and (b) how to get back to 'our' entrance. It came in handy. Enjoy the visit!

Also be careful about cab drivers ... they are notorious in Istanbul.
The problem I found with taxi drivers is that some just didn't know the city. I stayed 4 days after the cruise at the Ritz-Carlton and two couples stayed at different boutique hotels in Sultanahmet. Two different cab drivers did not know where their hotels were or for that matter where the streets were that they were on. Thank goodness for my iPhone as I just told the cabbie where to go. Taxi was metered, so I had no issue with the cost or cabbie trying to rip me off. Just lack of knowledge.

We found the spice bazaar much more interesting than the Grand Bazaar.

istanbul%2520098.jpg?gl=US

istanbul%2520100.jpg?gl=US

Also the Cistern should not be missed.

We did the tram and it was not too difficult. The ticket machine spoke english.

The tram stop is a little walk from the ship's dock but doable.

Istanbul is just such a fabulous city that only one day is not nearly enough ...

We've had three visits there and still haven't seen everything we want to.

Our first visit (with Renaissance on their dime) was three days where we pretty much saw all that we wanted to see at the time... But we've returned for several days since and really haven't repeated anything.

Okay, we did repeat the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque on our last trip.

RetiredFL is right about the cistern ...

Also well worth visiting is the Archeological Museums (there are three, but the second two are smaller than the main one).

There is so much to see there ...

Mura

The grand bazaar is nothing much IMO. Haggia Sofia, blue mosque, palaces are all great. We have been to Istanbul 3 times. Always used the local taxis without problem, but the taxi drivers do not know how to read maps. You need to know some major landmark near your destination and tell them that.

If you are looking at the grand bazaar as a shopping centre you will probably be disappointed. But if you look beyond the shops to the building and the people, it is a great stroll. I am not a shopper, and hate to haggle, but I found the shopkeepers in the GB actually fun, as they seem to enjoy the sport. I couldn't resist when one said, "buy from me, I will cheat you less than the others". The organic nature in which the building has grown is so interesting. And for a non shopper, I did get most of my gifts from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you don't want to trek over to the Grand Bazaar there's a nice shopping street behind the Blue Mosque called the Arasta Bazaar. It has rug stores, and scarves, tiles, leather, all the usual things, plus a hookah bar. It was not far from our hotel, so we strolled thru it several times a day.

To the OP, personally I would just take a cab over to the Sultanahmet where many of the main sights are located. You want to see Topkapi for sure, so you could start there, then walk over the Agia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. The Cistern is really neat too. Then if you have energy you could try the tram, perhaps for your trip back or to the bazaars.

2 Years ago we flew into Istanbul day of cruise ( family obligations prevented us coming earlier). We went directly to the ship, intending to go out in the evening. In reality we crashed and burned. BUT, before leaving home had booked a private tour for the morning so we could cram in as much as possible.

We had a great day, hit all the highlights, and our guide stayed out with us longer than originally contracted for. The driver would drop us in one place and pick us up in another. I think the ship was leaving at three and we were back around two. I wanted a Starbucks mug as a souvenir and the line was too long, so I returned to the car. Our guide went in, crashed the line and got me my mug! I think of him every time I enjoy my latte .

Highly recommend using a driver and guide. The traffic is paralyzing. We were recently in Bangkok and thought we would wing it on our own. Consequently we saw almost nothing. The traffic was awful, no subway, really really difficult to get around on your own. Get a guide. You won't regret it. I think our guide in Istanbul with car and driver was $50, and I gave him $100. Worth every penny.

Mo

I agree, I would only drive in Istanbul's busy historic area if I had a death wish. They understand the system, but we don't. I watched in awe as five lanes merged into two in front of the Spice Market. Definitely a situation of "he who hesitates is lost."

Also, be aware of the train tracks. The trains travel very fast and you have to walk over the tracks in some places. We watched a woman nearly get hit because she was not paying attention.

The Turkish people are wonderful, very hospitable, but culturally, they tend tell you what they think you want to hear, and you may find your experience is different than stated. So check different sources.

2 Highly recommend using a driver and guide. The traffic is paralyzing. Mo

Which is precisely why it is a waste of your time to use a driver in the Sultanahmet area, particularly now that there are so many recently-imposed trafffic restrictions in this area making the traffic so much worse. Walking (and judicious use of the modern excellent tram) definitely is the way to see these wonderful sights! Everything a first-time visitor wants to see is within an easy 10-minute walking radius of Sultanahmet Square.

Especially if you are going to the Topkapi museum, getting there when it opens is best and going in the Harem first (that tip may have been in Rick Steves) is also a good idea. I agree with the poster above who suggested the Arasta Market behind the Blue Masque instead of the Grand Bazaar which really is a maze-both have the same sort of merchandise. Everything, even having a pastry and tea is good in Istanbul but one of the most interesting things we saw on a trip there this past Dec is the Kariye Museum. This is near the Edirne Gate in the Old City not anywhere near the other tourist things. You need to take a taxi. It is an old church with decaying but fabulous Byzantine paintings and mosaics. It is on a little street with some cafes and tourists shops. We had to show the taxi driver the address and name to get there (some speak English and some do not) but he got us there. We hailed another taxi to get back and just asked for Hagia Sofia or something like that. If you like that sort of thing, it is worth a detour and the taxi fare.

Other than that taxi to Sultanamet is a good idea since walking around the tourist area is great and also there are numerous banks where you can get Turkish Lira from the machines easily. Visiting Mosques is also a great experience but they really did want heads, legs and arms covered and no shoes when we were there.

Archived