HAL is Changing Cabin Categories in 2014

HalFan

I was checking the Oosterdam deck plans on the HAL website today and noticed that the drop-down menu gives you a choice of before or after 5/14/2014. That menu also shows that ALL the ships are being changed some time during 2014. Some categories are being increased (e.g. D to C) and some are being decreased (VA to VE) as examples. It appears they are increasing those on lower decks and decreasing those on upper decks, and in many categories. Check it out!

There was a big thread about the changes several weeks ago.

Like Penthouse will now be called Pinnacle Suite.

The SA, SB and SC cabins will now be called Neptune Suites. Some of the SB cabins will be SC and SC wil become SB (costing more).

Lots of changes confusing people booking now.

When we got on the Westerdam on March 17, the stationary we got for the Penthouse referred to it already as the Pinnacle Suite.

It seems that the cheaper insides will be on the higher decks. And they've done the same with some of the verandahs.

Sail, as you said, we'll just have to go and study the deckplans next spring.

I'm confused by some of the changes but I'm sure we'll get used to them.

Yes, we will! Remember that novelty/abmination they introduced called "open dining". :D

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yes, we will! Remember that novelty/abmination they introduced called "open dining". :D

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

And I was very critical of it. Now I pick it every time. Go figure.

The change that puzzles me is on the R&S class ships. My beloved C cabins on the Lower Prom deck will now be on the Main Deck :(. Lower Prom will be D, E, EE, etc. So, if I book my favorite cabin on Lower Prom and get upgraded, I'll be down-under :eek:, where I would last about 10 minutes before having a panic attack. We book Neptune Suites on Vista ships, so I don't have a problem with those new deck plans. I hope someday to make sense of the R&S ships new deck plans. I don't "get it."

The change that puzzles me is on the R&S class ships. My beloved C cabins on the Lower Prom deck will now be on the Main Deck :(. Lower Prom will be D, E, EE, etc. So, if I book my favorite cabin on Lower Prom and get upgraded, I'll be down-under :eek:, where I would last about 10 minutes before having a panic attack. We book Neptune Suites on Vista ships, so I don't have a problem with those new deck plans. I hope someday to make sense of the R&S ships new deck plans. I don't "get it."

Many posters have complained about noise of the galley in Cat. C on R&S class ships. I guess HAL figures if they charge less for the under the galley cabins (formerly C's) by making them a lower class, passengers will stop complaining or tolerate the noise!:D

We had a C on our very first HAL cruise on the Ryndam, and we quickly learned never to book under the galley. We love the Lower Prom, but never under the galley!

Karen

So, with the changes on the S and R class the C (most expensive outside) will have a full window unobstructed by the railings on the Lower Prom. Better view.

HAL has decided that the Lower Prom is not the "best" outside deck and should be priced down. This makes sense to me, at least.

It looks to me like HAL has shifted many more cabins upward than downward on all the different ship classes. One way to easily increase revenue without having to remodel them. Too bad for us loyal passengers who had favorite cabins that seemed to be priced well relatively within a category but have now been "upgraded".

Archived