Let Us Bring Our Own Water....Please!!!!

Contacted RCCL special needs dpt. on the water policy and here is what I got back:

Hello, Thank you for contacting us regarding your inquiry. You may bring your own water on board as long as it is sealed in the original store bought container. We recommend bringing a doctor's note as well for the water. Best Regards, Access Staff Genibel

:)

Contacted RCCL special needs dpt. on the water policy and here is what I got back:

Hello, Thank you for contacting us regarding your inquiry. You may bring your own water on board as long as it is sealed in the original store bought container. We recommend bringing a doctor's note as well for the water. Best Regards, Access Staff Genibel

:)

Thank you, Jana!

We have carried (1) case of Dasani & (1) case of Pepsi for the last 3 Royal Caribbean crusies. I just put several luggage tags on them.... hand them to the guy that collects the luggage. Our cases have always made it to our cabin. We will be sailing in two weeks and I plan to carry them again. I usually have some water and pepsi left so I give it to the person that has taken care of our room for the week. They seem very appreciative of it! I'm very funny about the water on the ships. Water is the only thing I drink besides my coffee!

All this talk about bringing on soda and/or water had me curious as to how you actually did that. I did not want to physically carry one or two cases on the ship myself :). Being that my first cruise is this fall, I was confused - thanks for explaining how it works. We may be taking water and soda with us too when we sail.

We bought a Rolling duffel bag, carry-on size. We pack it in our suitcase and then when we get to the port area we pick up a case of water a local grocery store. That way we can just roll it on along with a couple of bottles of wine that we buy right before we board as well. At the end of the week it's always helpful to have this bag because you always seem to run out of room with souvenirs and such.

I'm interested to find out how you "carry it in" also.

Are you only allowed a set # of bags per person? Do you need to put it in a bag or suitcase?

You can bring on as many bags as you need...with in reason of course! :)

OK, please say I'm not the only one who thought this thread was "Let us Bring Our Own Waiter....Please!!!!"

I personally don't have my own waiter to bring, but, hey, to each his own.

I think you are the only one but that's pretty funny! I chuckled Aloud.

OK, please say I'm not the only one who thought this thread was "Let us Bring Our Own Waiter....Please!!!!"

OMG, now this was funny!!!!!!

I wouldn't mind having my own waiter to bring!

Nope...so far you're the only one! Hee Hee Hee :)

• 5 weeks later...
I know that RCCL has a habit of perusing these threads and taking to heart (at times) the voices that want to be heard. I'm hoping this thread becomes one of those. :)

There are quite a few of us who can only drink certain kinds of water or prefer bottled water. I am one of those people. Any time I drink tap water with chlorine in it I get ill. Now, people can say...oh the tap water on the ship doesn't have chlorine in it but I know other wise. I can smell it every time I brush my teeth or take a shower.

Also, the Evian bottled water sold on most if not all RCCL ships tastes horrible to me...it seems to have a waxy aftertaste. Sure RCCL could start carrying another type of bottled water but why not just let us bring our own like other cruise lines do.

I believe that if they let us carry on a reasonable amount (One case per 7 days) they would not only have happier cruisers but they would also be in line with their competitors. They've already fallen in line with the carry on wine allowance...why not bottled water?

Please, fellow CC members, help me in this endeavor and write about your own want/need to bring on your own water in hopes that RCCL will listen to our cries.

Thank You in Advance! :D

Anyone who tells you that the water on a cruise ship does not have chlorine in it is seriously misinformed. When the water is produced by the ship's evaporators or RO units, it is chlorinated to a minimum of 2ppm, and when water is taken from shore, it is chlorinated to a minimum of 2ppm, both before the water goes into the storage tank. Because residual halogens (chlorine) will break down over time, the water that is circulated throughout the ship (the same water for cabins, Lido, or restaurants and bars), must be chlorinated to maintain a residual chlorine content of 0.2-0.5ppm at the farthest point from the chemical injection (usually monitored on the bridge). This is required by the USPH service. Chlorine is a factor in water retention as well as sodium, so this may explain the change in water retention when switching to bottled water.

I had never heard of illness or allergy to chlorine before.

Folks, the water on ships is not "filtered". It is either produced by an evaporator, which produces distilled water, or by a Reverse Osmosis unit, which forces water molecules through a permeable membrane, on the assumption that salt molecules are larger than water molecules, and therefore will not pass through. However, ANYTHING the size of water, or smaller CAN and does pass through the membrane. RO water, when chlorinated, is safe to drink, but unlike the water produced by the evaporators, will have some minerals and other things in it, which will produce a taste.

The chlorine in the water will form a "scale" on the inside of any pipe material that is used to distribute the water throughout the ship. This scale normally stays in place, but when the water is shut down for a period, say for repair to a pipe, it tends to dry out and fall off the pipe. This can cause a white milky coloration to the water, or the yellow/orange color noted in the tub. As the water, except in small branch lines to each cabin, is constantly circulating, this will normally clear up within minutes.

Chlorine tends to make the water basic (opposite of acidic), and therefore, acid is also dosed to the water to keep the Ph levels correct (another USPH requirement). If this acid dosing gets out of control, well below the point where it becomes dangerous to drink, it will start to leach copper out of any copper piping, and this can also cause the yellow/orange discoloration.

Many people say that they can taste a difference between cabin water and Lido water. This is mostly because the water dispensers and ice makers have carbon filters on them to remove the chlorine taste. This is basically what a Brita filter does, and now that Brita makes filters for sports bottles, this is what I would select.

Lots of people do bring on cases of water.

But why not just bring a filter-pitcher? It will remove the chlorine, and avoids all the health issues with bottled water stored in plastic bottles. It's cheaper than bottled water. It's much easier to transport than bottled water. It's better for the environment than bottled water.

What a GREAT idea!! I'm going to remember this. A pitcher and a reusable bottle.

I have never had a problem bringing on water.

I buy a case, wrapped in plastic. I tape on a luggage tag, also make an 8 1/2 x 11 sign with our names, cabin number and AFT. (Aft balcony rats). Then I wrap all in a few layers of clear packing tape.

On our Fall Brilliance of the Seas trip in Canada we kept the bottles on the balcony and they stayed comfortably cooled.

Next trip I'll take some SUgar Free Ginger Ale too since the ship does not offer it. Again, just tape it up with our names and cabin information.

I bought Brita filter bottles that are personal size. You can filter 40 gallons of water. I have read great things on here about them. Hoping they are great on this coming trip!:)

Thanks for the tip. I always bring water on NCL and had no idea that some other lines have an issue with this. I don't drink tap water (unless it's NYC) and there's no way I'm going to be forced to pay $3.00 a bottle.

Many people say that they can taste a difference between cabin water and Lido water. This is mostly because the water dispensers and ice makers have carbon filters on them to remove the chlorine taste. This is basically what a Brita filter does, and now that Brita makes filters for sports bottles, this is what I would select.

I'm one of those people. Thanks for the breakdown. :)

I went on Freedom last week. I took a case of bottled water, they DID allow it after checking to make sure all of the bottles were sealed. They did *NOT* allow us to check it, as a previous responder said. It was heavy and it was completely unnecessary to take it with us. I won't be doing it again. There was ice water in the promenade cafe, in large tanks, it tasted completely fine, most people were filling the paper starbucks style cups with water, then pouring into their own re-usable water bottles. I will be doing that next time. The MDR water and Windjammer water was also completely fine. I may take 6-8 bottles of deer park for port days next time, but never again will we attempt to take an entire case of water on board. Reusable water bottles and a small travel size dish soap for cleaning them each night will be fine for us next time.

If you pre book a premium drinks package, would you then be allowed bring water on with you? Obviously you are not trying to smuggle alcohol at that stage, has anyone any experience?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

If you pre book a premium drinks package, would you then be allowed bring water on with you? Obviously you are not trying to smuggle alcohol at that stage, has anyone any experience?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

There's no connection between having an alcoholic drink package and the enforcement of the rules regarding bringing beverages on board.

Flame me if you want but since it says on the website it is not allowed and although rarely enforced, if you want to bring your own cases of water and soda on board, go ahead but carry it to your room yourself. This way my luggage may get to the room in time for dinner!!!

Flame me if you want but since it says on the website it is not allowed and although rarely enforced, if you want to bring your own cases of water and soda on board, go ahead but carry it to your room yourself. This way my luggage may get to the room in time for dinner!!!

Correct, carry it on or you will likely end up in the "naughty" room. If you carry it on they may ask you about it at the screening area but after that you'll be all set.

I would have had the water tested by an independent lab, immediately after I filed a formal complaint with the cruise director on board and in writing with the Cruise Line as soon as i got home.

Water samples are fairly fragile. They need to be refrigerated, and to give an actual representation of the water quality at the time the sample was taken, it needs to be analysed within 48 hours. You would also need to have a certified sterile collection bottle, or the results would not be legal in any form.

USPH regulations require that 4 samples per month be taken at random locations around the ship (cabin sinks, cabin showers, public restrooms, spa, drinking fountains, galleys, etc), and submitted to third party testing. The locations must vary both in location on the ship, and type of source each month. The results must be retained onboard, and available for the USPH inspectors when they arrive.

I would certainly have complained to Housekeeping, even the Executive Housekeeper, but not sure why you would go to the Cruise Director. At the least, this would bring the problem to maintenance's attention, and would certainly have resulted in an explanation for the water.

Archived