Would you take an infant on Mediterranean Cruise ?

Alberta Quilter is on the Eurodam in the Med right now. I don't know how old the "infants" are that she saw, I always think of under one year when I hear the word infant but others may not...it would be interesting to read HAL's policy. I couldn't find anything on their website stating any minimum. Just interested to know. We're expecting our first grandchild any day now (not that we plan to take him on a Med cruise) :D

How exciting !!...wishing much health and happiness to you all.:)

No grandbabies in sight for me just yet...but if or when they do show up I hope they love their Granna like I loved mine. Have lots of fun.:):)

How exciting !!...wishing much health and happiness to you all.:)

No grandbabies in sight for me just yet...but if or when they do show up I hope they love their Granna like I loved mine. Have lots of fun.:):)

Thank you so much! We're thrilled and on pins and needles! Due date is Mother's Day :)

What a bunch of old worrywarts! Our ancestors crossed the country in wagons and you're worried about traveling in modern planes and cruise ships! Except for what is probably a longer flight, there is no difference between a Mediterranean cruise and a Caribbean cruise. No one has to leave the ship in port and certainly one parent can stay with the child onboard, if needed. Capable parents will meet the travel challenges.

Due to limited medical facilities on the ships, we will not accept reservations for infants under 6 months old at time of sailing. For transocean crossings, or other itineraries which our Medical Department feel present a significant risk, infants must be a minimum of 12 months of age at embarkation.
http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+Guests+Under+21+Travel+Alone?

I cannot imagine that a Mediterranean cruise presents a significant risk.

What a bunch of old worrywarts! Our ancestors crossed the country in wagons and you're worried about traveling in modern planes and cruise ships! Except for what is probably a longer flight, there is no difference between a Mediterranean cruise and a Caribbean cruise. No one has to leave the ship in port and certainly one parent can stay with the child onboard, if needed. Capable parents will meet the travel challenges.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+Guests+Under+21+Travel+Alone?

I cannot imagine that a Mediterranean cruise presents a significant risk.

You can go on a Caribbean cruise to relax and never leave the ship. The point of spending all the extra money to go to the Med is to tour where there is actually a lot of very interesting things to see. These things are best not done with an infant in tow. I am sure that if Colleyberry had asked about a Caribbean cruise then everyone would have been quite supportive of the idea.

Thanks for your input cccole.:) sounds like your family had a wonderful cruise.

Gosh I never even thought about needing a life vest for the child..but of course you would... one more thing to pack:)

Just a heads up; an infant life vest will be provided to the parents by the crew on all HAL ships upon embarking; they are tiny;)

Just a heads up; an infant life vest will be provided to the parents by the crew on all HAL ships upon embarking; they are tiny;)

Thanks Copper John...that's why you are such a handy fellow to have around.:)

Edited by COLLEYBERRY

In the blazing inferno that was Europe last summer, on the excursion to Pompeii where you could see the heat radiating off the buildings, not a drop of shade to be had, and several elderly tourists fainted from the heat, I can't see that it would be enjoyable for either the parents or the infants.

In the blazing inferno that was Europe last summer, on the excursion to Pompeii where you could see the heat radiating off the buildings, not a drop of shade to be had, and several elderly tourists fainted from the heat, I can't see that it would be enjoyable for either the parents or the infants.
Your evidence suggests that it is the elderly that should not take a Mediterranean cruise.

We did our first longer cruise ( 12 days ) to the Med when our youngest was 4. We had an amazing , delightful time. While he was not an infant , some suggestions may be helpful.

Firstly , we went in May . We avoided the heat and crowda and it was perfect mild weather. I visited France on a land trip in September of this year and again , glorious weather and fewer crowds . So , if possible , cruise during the shoulder months , much nicer!!

Secondly , arrange private tours . More ecpensive , but so worth it with small children. Allows for a lot more flexibility and you can pace yourselves.

Travelling internationally is easier when the baby is smaller and not yet mobile ( 6/7 months) . The hardest period is when they want to run around and are not yet really verbal ( 1 is a more challenging year). When they are infants ( especially if they still nurse) they are easy to carry in a backpack and nursing simplifies things.

I have travelled internationally since all 3 of my kids were wee babes ( necessity , as my family lives in the US and I in Brazil). Thankfully , i never had any screaming on the plane except for when my then 2 year old pinched his finger in the tray table. Ouch. My kids now face 12 hour flights like it is the most normal thing ib the world!

The time of year , age of baby ( non mobile is best!!!!) and private tours can make this a daoble and enjoyable trip ... But a different trip with a different focus. Managing expectations is key!

Have fun if you decide to go!

Our family loves to cruise and since my husband and I enjoyed it so much we decided to start our children out early. Too early in my opinion. My daughter was 8 months on her first Sea of Cortez cruise on HAL. It was NOT FUN! We consistently waited about 2 hours in the main dining room. This would have been fine for my husband and I, but for an infant it was unbearable. I always left with the baby half way through the meal.There was nothing for her to do, my husband and I took turns going to shows or attending activities on board. She cried a lot. I think the motion got to her. In port it was a nightmare getting on and off the ship with the stroller and all of our stuff. After that we waited until she was 4. At 4 there were a bunch of things she could do and she loved the ports as well. God Bless anyone traveling on a ship with an infant!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the "DO NOT DO IT" camp, and I'm a 7 time Grandma.

My husband and I used to camp in a tent for our vacations (1967). When my son was 3 and my daughter just a year and a half, I decided it wasn't fun for me anymore, so I just stayed home and let hubby go by himself.

Fast forward to my Med trip in 2008, I was 62 and starting to have some mobility issues. I had all to do to get myself around the ship and various ports. There is absolutely no way I'd want to be wrestling a baby stroller in addition to my own luggage.

Then the final reason I wouldn't be open for this, is the COST:eek::eek: I'm not about to pay $6000 pp to take the chance of a miserable trip. That's not what my vacations are for.

Now my youngest granddaughter is 13 and we had a blast in Maui! She is old enough to mind and know the rules, enjoy seeing the sites, tell me if she is feeling ill, and it was a very relaxing enjoyable vacation (at least until the terrible turbulent flight home).

JMHO

Edited by agabbymama

Well ???? Are we Grandparents yet ??? :):) Hope all is well.!!

Awww, so nice of you to remember! Yes, our little grandson was born early yesterday morning!! So we didn't get a Mother's Day baby, but close. We're all thrilled. :)

Thank you for thinking of me! :)

Awww, so nice of you to remember! Yes, our little grandson was born early yesterday morning!! So we didn't get a Mother's Day baby, but close. We're all thrilled. :)

Thank you for thinking of me! :)

Congratulations!...so exciting. Best Wishes to all.:):):)

On one cruise I saw an excellent example of how parents, grandparents and baby can travel. Folks eating next to our table were traveling with one set of their parents and their baby (probably about 10 months old). This was their set-up.

1. Grandparents ate at first seating. Had a peaceful, enjoyable meal.

2. Parents ate at second seating. Had a peaceful meal. In each case the other couple stayed with the baby in the cabin or where ever. Once or twice they ate together in the Lido I think.

(One formal night the grandparents brought the baby to the parents table - all dressed up in a baby tux - the crew loved it. After about a half hour the grandparents took the baby back to the cabin.)

Tours - they had a rotation system. In port two of the adults remained on the ship with the baby at all times while two went on tours, walked on shore, etc. Sometimes the touring was by couples, sometimes the two women, sometimes the two men. In some ports one pair of adults toured in the morning and the others in the afternoon. They all seemed to be having a wonderful time and doing very well together. Baby was always happy when we saw him. Of course, the parents and grandparents had to enjoy each other as well. I was very impressed with how well orchestrated this all was. Everyone got to have fun, including the baby who was always with at least two adults he knew.

I can't speak for cruising with an infant, but when my eldest was 4 months we had a 2 week holiday driving from London down to Tuscany. Nothing was booked before we left, we found hotels en route. We are quite civilised here in Europe and you can get formula milk, disposable nappies and everything else just about anywhere. Also, in the Mediterranean countries, they generally love to make a fuss over babies and children, and will go out of their way to help.

Whilst my son was still a small toddler we also took him to Israel and to Florida. it's easy to get too hung up about the difficulties of travelling with small children, but we had some great times. Most cruise ships are just travelling resort hotels, and if you would take a baby to a resort hotel why not also a cruise?

Paul

In a word, no. Not me. It would not have been fun for me to travel when our kids were that young. We still remember the long drives to grandparents with a screaming infant in the car.

That said, I see families traveling with young children. If the extended family is there to help and share child care, it might work for them.

I will be cruising in July with husband, a 4-year-old, and a 15-month-old to the Mediterranean. I would, of course, would have loved to go to Europe without kids but it is now or never. Patience, a good sense of humor and a little bit of wine will get me through it. After reading all the posts in this thread I'm a little afraid. I will post after the cruise!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=scarlettmama&date=7-19-2013&text=&ship=Carnival Sunshine

None of the above were "naysayer" observations. You note that HAL does not allow children under 12 months on their European itineraries - and they should know.

This is simply inaccurate information. I know because we will be sailing with an 8-month-old (and his 2.5 year old big sister) on a 21-day Ryndam "collector" this October then again for 17-days at Christmas.

To the OP... we would, we have and we are doing it again! Our daughter was 8 months old on her first cruise (Canada from NY), 9 months on her second (14 day Caribbean and the grandparents came along), and 20 months on a 14 day med cruise last October.

A pleasant surprise is that HAL actually makes life easy for parents by offering a pre-order form for essentials like diapers, baby food, etc (for a reasonable fee of course) for those who don't want to pack that stuff to bring with.

As expats, we are seasoned travelers (not just on cruises) and our first born did over 30 flight legs before her first brithday. Get a good travel "diaper" backpack. We use one we ordered on line from a company called okatots. We also have a portable "highchair" that folds up the size of a larger hardcover book but weighs half as much (it fits most tables). Make a smart choice about your stroller (we like our bob because it's all-terrain while still folding down very easily) and get a bjorn or something similar for outings where a stroller may not be required or practical. Our ipads are loaded with our little girl's fav "toons" so she's suitably entertained during meal time.

It's about planning and expectation management. We don't expect to see every sight in every port like we might have tried pre-baby but we find amazing ways to have fun as a family... our daughter LOVED Piazza Novona - running round and round the fountains in the sun, she thought the old windmills on Mykonos were "funny", she had a bad tummy in Santorini so played on our balcony and enjoyed the empty ship, she's been over every bridge imaginable in Venice (in her "bob" stroller), she weathered a flash downpour with mommy and daddy in a quaint bistro in fortress of Dubrovnik eagerly munching her croissant on one of the best shop-and-stroll days we've ever had, she presses her face against the glass of her balcony staring out at the vast seas with the look of an adventurer, she first learned to say "hi" on a crusie ship waving to all the passenegers in the various hallways as we walked by. And she's had tantrums and vomited and finger-painted and danced and flirted with "her" butler (NCL) and made strange when the captain picked her up and we have photos of every one of the moments and a zillion more that she'll have forever and now were fortunate enough to be able to do the same with her kid brother as well.

Indeed there are different strokes for different folks so travel with a thick skin because there will be some grumps and crumudgeons who scoff at you (or whisper behind your back more often) because you've dared to enjoy your family on "their" private cruise ship, but there will be far more who smile and laugh with you and your urchins.

Ultimately it's your call - there are lots of points, many valid, from other posters in this thread to digest as to their opinion of "if" they would do it. But there are also a few to consider from those the "have" done it (with varying success it seems). We are inviting my wife's parents (at our expense) to join in Oct so they can get three weeks of time with their two youngest grandbabies (the last they will ever have) and, ideed, to allow the two of some "couple" time.

I hope my post is of some help.

Happy cruising all

csm

I will be cruising in July with husband, a 4-year-old, and a 15-month-old to the Mediterranean. I would, of course, would have loved to go to Europe without kids but it is now or never. Patience, a good sense of humor and a little bit of wine will get me through it. After reading all the posts in this thread I'm a little afraid. I will post after the cruise!

Don't be afraid. The posts are from old people who couldn't or wouldn't travel with young children. My children's grandparents would not have taken them on a cruise either, but they were not even capable of watching them for an afternoon. You'll do fine; have a great cruise!

Don't be afraid. The posts are from old people who couldn't or wouldn't travel with young children. My children's grandparents would not have taken them on a cruise either, but they were not even capable of watching them for an afternoon. You'll do fine; have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'll stop the worrying and start planning what to pack.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=scarlettmama&date=7-19-2013&text=&ship=Carnival Sunshine

This is simply inaccurate information.

csm

From the HAL website:

Due to the limited medical facilities on board,

we will not accept reservations for infants six months or

younger for non-Transocean sailings or 12 months or younger

for Transocean sailings at time cruise commences...

It appears you need to be six months for a european cruise. Transatlantic and transpacific is 12 months. Butlers and grandparents as you indicate may be key. You can always bring a nanny as well. Depending on your country, many can be found with nursing credentials. Whatever was everyone thinking?

Smooth sailing...

Edited by world~citizen