Would you take an infant on Mediterranean Cruise ?

Don't be afraid. The posts are from old people who couldn't or wouldn't travel with young children. My children's grandparents would not have taken them on a cruise either, but they were not even capable of watching them for an afternoon. You'll do fine; have a great cruise!

Is this fair comment...hardly if you read the posts.

It's very doable to travel with an infant. Many people do it all the time, with great success. However, everyone's enjoyment depends a great deal on the baby's temperament.

While I've never cruised with either of my grandchildren, I can tell you with great confidence that there is day & night between how my granddaughter (10)and my grandson (5) tolerate and enjoy travel, and they've been that way since day one. We brought GD to DisneyWorld at age 2 (10 adults, one child), in a rented house. She was in heaven 24/7. At 4 she was giving the stink-eye to older kids who weren't behaving in nice restaurants. Due to her temperament, she was taken out to restaurants from birth, and I have no doubt that as an infant she would have been just peachy no matter where she was taken.

GS, on the other hand, is a total homebody. When still an infant, it became apparent that he didn't tolerate being "out" nearly as well as his big sister. We waited until he was turning 5 before even attempting Disney. As much as he was looking forward to it, and generally loved it, it was pretty obvious that his tolerance for being away from home (even the rental house "home") was stretched pretty thin on a daily basis.

So, my words of wisdom, such as they are, is to at least wait until after the child is born, then try out a cruise closer to home, or even just weekends away before even thinking about booking such a big investment of both time and money.

• 11 months later...

To update....the mini traveler has set sail from South Hampton as I type...he is a beautiful child,healthy and happy.(9 mons)...Grandmamma (my co worker) was so excited to be visiting Europe for the first time...wishing them safe travels , wonderful memories...will let you know how they managed this cruise with an infant.

Six adults to one infant...at the very least the ratio is in their favor.;)

To update....the mini traveler has set sail from South Hampton as I type...he is a beautiful child,healthy and happy.(9 mons)...Grandmamma (my co worker) was so excited to be visiting Europe for the first time...wishing them safe travels , wonderful memories...will let you know how they managed this cruise with an infant.

Six adults to one infant...at the very least the ratio is in their favor.;)

Thanks for the update! You are right, the ratio is definitely in their favor. I imagine they will have a wonderful time! Our grandbaby (one year old next week) just returned from a sailing trip in the Caribbean (not cruise) and all went well. There were 7 adults and 2 babies on that trip. :) His cousin, who is 6 months older, went to England last year -- so it can be done, just not sure I would do it :D

Thanks for the update! You are right, the ratio is definitely in their favor. I imagine they will have a wonderful time! Our grandbaby (one year old next week) just returned from a sailing trip in the Caribbean (not cruise) and all went well. There were 7 adults and 2 babies on that trip. :) His cousin, who is 6 months older, went to England last year -- so it can be done, just not sure I would do it :D

Well time certainly flies doesn't it :). I remember your little one was due near Mothers Day.

Both sets of Grandparents are going on this voyage.. My friend and husband and the babes parents are doing Rome sans baby, The other grandparents have been to Rome and volunteered to stay on board ship with Mr. Man.

I think this generation may have it right... it seems the older I get I try to avoid potential stress... but the fact remains they are going to Rome and I am not.:D

Edited by COLLEYBERRY

Hope they all have a great time. I love my 5 grandkids. A few I would travel anywhere with, a couple even a trip to the grocery store isn't fun. At the babes young age it won't be so tough.

Edited by nana51

What a bunch of old worrywarts! Our ancestors crossed the country in wagons and you're worried about traveling in modern planes and cruise ships! Except for what is probably a longer flight, there is no difference between a Mediterranean cruise and a Caribbean cruise. No one has to leave the ship in port and certainly one parent can stay with the child onboard, if needed. Capable parents will meet the travel challenges.

I saw it as - capable parents wanted grandparents along to take care of the travel challenges. [but I have a cynical world view] I would think taking a nanny/au pair along would be ideal to babysit while parents and grandparents enjoy the ports and the night life.

I saw it as - capable parents wanted grandparents along to take care of the travel challenges. [but I have a cynical world view] I would think taking a nanny/au pair along would be ideal to babysit while parents and grandparents enjoy the ports and the night life.

I think you have a great idea here ;) HAL also has some babysitting services

We did cruises and trips when our children were very young (first when our eldest was 10 months and another when our youngest was 2). We even flew when our youngest was 3 months and oldest was 3.5 to Australia (from Calgary). We have traveled extensively with our children and subsequently, they are very good travelers as they have grown up doing it.

Having said that, we are going to try the Mediterranean for the first time this summer. Our youngest will be just shy of 6 and the oldest is 9. I couldnt imagine doing this cruise any younger and have even wondered how it is going to go with youngest DS. We believe he will be ok and he is excited to see some of the things. I am worried about the large crowds, potentially long days in port (Rome) and very hot temps.

I would say there are other itineraries that would be better for babies. The cruise lines are really helpful when traveling with babies and supply a lot of the equipment if requested (sleeping and highchairs - not strollers).

We do travel with my parents usually on these trips. Extra hands are helpful but they are not glorified babysitters. We are still the primary caregivers while traveling however it is nice to occasionally be able to slip away for a little bit (but not often).

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

Maybe I'm showing my age, but just reading about this plan exhausts me.

We started cruising with my Mom and our kids six years ago, when they were 4 and 7. They're three-star mariners now and going on their 5th European cruise this summer. But as infants or toddlers? Oh, heck, no. We adopted our daughter from China when she was two. I spent the second half of the flight home debating which was worse: the 20-hour trip with her or the 20 hours of back labor I had with my son. It was a toss-up.

Hope it all works out for this family, but I would be a frazzled wreck. I would wait at least a year or two and then try a cruise to the Caribbean or Alaska.

• 3 weeks later...

The little traveler has returned...both trans Atlantic flights went off without a hitch..though Grandmamma did note some looks of terror on fellow passengers faces when they spied her beautiful grandson.:D

The cruise was wonderful...they enjoyed exciting ports,each other and managed alone time...not too much baby sitting from the sounds of things;)

His Nibs held court in the MDR most evenings...was a big hit with the staff..he dressed for formal nights and even found some choices on the menu to his lking.No hasty exits for fussy behavior were shared with me.:)

Unfortunately the night before debarkation the baby became ill...a croup like situation ..his little chest was indrawn.

Early the next morning a "they will forever be grateful to " taxi driver drove them from South Hampton directly to London ( they were staying there two days post cruise) in record time.

He was treated in hospital there , released after four and half hours, with instructions to return if he had any further distress. ..they were very lucky it happened when it did and where it did...he has fully recovered ..for Grandmamma it took a little longer.;)

The little traveler has returned...both trans Atlantic flights went off without a hitch..though Grandmamma did note some looks of terror on fellow passengers faces when they spied her beautiful grandson.:D

The cruise was wonderful...they enjoyed exciting ports,each other and managed alone time...not too much baby sitting from the sounds of things;)

His Nibs held court in the MDR most evenings...was a big hit with the staff..he dressed for formal nights and even found some choices on the menu to his lking.No hasty exits for fussy behavior were shared with me.:)

Unfortunately the night before debarkation the baby became ill...a croup like situation ..his little chest was indrawn.

Early the next morning a "they will forever be grateful to " taxi driver drove them from South Hampton directly to London ( they were staying there two days post cruise) in record time.

He was treated in hospital there , released after four and half hours, with instructions to return if he had any further distress. ..they were very lucky it happened when it did and where it did...he has fully recovered ..for Grandmamma it took a little longer.;)

Thanks for the update! So glad it all went well, and that the little guy was successfully treated at the hospital. Yes, lucky it happened when and where it did! I'd love to see the formal pics :D