Serego Aligeri Massi , Sangovese, Tuscany, Italy

Anakena Merlot, Chile

Two Vines Cabernet Sauvignon Blanc, Washington State

Villa Maria Pinot Noir, New Zealand

Chianti Banfi, Tuscany Italy

Cote Trois Couronnes Syrah, France

Sirius Bordeaux blend, France

Brass field Syrah, USA

On our last Seabourn cruise there were reds from Australia, Argentina and Chile. It is disappointing that there are none from this region.

Thanks for posting.

The white wines that you've listed are identical to those available on the Quest back in December.

As for the reds, some are the same, plus there was an Argentinian Malbec. I notice there is a Merlot from Chile on the list. I don't remember the name of th one I tried on Quest but it was rather unpleasant. Also, I'm intrigued by the "Two Vines Cabernet Sauvignon Blanc, Washington State" I assume there's a typo in there ? ;)

I'm not even going to mention the rosé......

These are virtually the same as found on Spirit recently. We only found a few which were reasonably enjoyable; the Mondavi and Lous Latour chardonnays, the Villa Maria pinot noir and Two Vines reds. Much missed was a decent sauvignon blanc, which we like at lunchtime. The Wingspan is very ordinary, the others to us unacceptable. Not so long ago they had either Villa Maria sauv. blanc, or Oyster Bay, both of which are not bad at all. I believe the Wingspan is specially bottled for Seabourn, and no doubt very cheap!

Thank you for posting

Nearly all of the wines listed are regulars on all Seabourn ships.

Very few of them you could call fine wine which is what Seabourn advertises.

After many complaints from regular cruisers one can only assume that either Seabourn are not listening and correcting the mistake or whoever takes the ultimate decision in choosing the wines knows nothing about wine

That said, wine is a very personal thing and the list will suit some tastes.

Thank you for posting

one can only assume that either Seabourn are not listening and correcting the mistake or whoever takes the ultimate decision in choosing the wines knows nothing about wine

Or, that the vast majority of Seabourn passengers know nothing about wine, and it is only a small but vocal minority that are protesting?

Or, that the vast majority of Seabourn passengers know nothing about wine, and it is only a small but vocal minority that are protesting?

Could be,we will never know.

What suits some will not suit others,no problem as there is always the wine list to select from,so good choices for all tastes.

What suits some will not suit others,no problem as there is always the wine list to select from,so good choices for all tastes.

Well, that may be, but Seabourn and their Agents are still advertising 'fine wines' as being included, which they are not - some drinkable, none of them fine by any standards. I wish they would just say a something like 'a choice from the house wine selection', it would be more honest.

I guess I've been spoiled by my years in Oregon's Willamette Valley, but I must agree with lincslady. What I see on that list may be adequate house wine, but "fine wine" it's not. Is there any way to get a peek at the wines offered in Seabourn's Connoisseur packages? I may want to use my onboard credit to upgrade.

Yes, we use our OBC to upgrade wines at dinner. Unfortunately there are no french rose's on that list. Just as Linclady likes a nice sauv blanc at lunch we like a nice dry french rose at lunch. On some cruises we have found that they carry something other than JP Chenet in limited quantity.. We always inquiret the first day and if there is not another decent rose on board( and in my IMHO JP Chenet is undrinkable) we ask if in the next port they can pick up some rose. In almost every case they have been able to accommodate us.

After many complaints from regular cruisers one can only assume that either Seabourn are not listening and correcting the mistake or whoever takes the ultimate decision in choosing the wines knows nothing about wine

I'm sure they are reading the complaints and listening and I'm fairly sure someone at Seabourn knows something about wine. It's just economics, they get through a certain amount of wine per cruise, they have a certain amount of money to spend on it, that gives you a per-bottle amount which is probably not very high at all and puts the wines they can afford down in the plonk category.

If, of course, you could get much better wines for whatever it's costing them to buy the ones they serve, I'd agree that perhaps they need someone who knows more about buying value wines. But it's never going to really be fine wine and I agree with the other poster who said at least using the term 'house wines' would be more honest.

I believe the Wingspan is specially bottled for Seabourn, and no doubt very cheap!

wingspan does have label and isn't specific to Seabourn (although the bottle in this case mary be a "special run"

Mid range here if you can get it and about same $$ as Villa Maria IMHO the Oyster bay is awful

JP Chenet...seriously:mad: Its $5 a bottle here and that includes the import tax.

the issue can be that for the export market they have different bottle quality. I remember being horrified when i was offered Jacobs Creek at $30 bottle when it was $4 here. Thing was it was a different wine , same label; different market and the export stuff was very good at the time.

And no, none are fine, just standard OK stuff

Just to clarify - it was a member of staff on board (wine person) who told us that the Wingspan on Seabourn was specially bottled for the line. We have found Oyster Bay, which in the UK is about the same price as Villa Maria or Nobilo sauv. bl. quite good - obviously we all have slightly different tastebuds! I personally find both Wingspan and the Chilean sauv. bls. to have a noticeable sulphury taste, though my DH is not so fussy.

I agree about the Rose, would drink one sometimes at lunch if they only had a more respectable one.

However, if we do keep on banging on about it maybe eventually Seabourn will either improve the overall quality of the included wines, or stop calling them 'fine'.

I have given up on the included wines and just order off the wine list.

At least I can drink something that I like.See how good to Seabourn I am, saving them money.

My TA has just returned from a trip on the Silversea Silver Spirit and he tells me that the included wines are way better than what Seabourn are offering.

I would like the chateau Laffite 47 available every night and I do not mind paying an extra £500 per cruise .:rolleyes:

In the end to be serious if you want top quality wine is it not better to pay a lower cruise price and to order the wines you want to drink. :D

I would like the chateau Laffite 47 available every night and I do not mind paying an extra £500 per cruise .:rolleyes:

In the end to be serious if you want top quality wine is it not better to pay a lower cruise price and to order the wines you want to drink. :D

I guess you are right, Dalliowner, but I do like the carefree feeling of just having one of the delightful wine waiters just coming up with a bottle in hand, choosing either that or another and not having to sign a chit. And I do think some of the other all inclusives have better included lists than SB - but I also think that the per day cost tends to be more.

Back in the day when Seabourn charged $1000 per person per day and all suites were priced the same I'm sure the wine selection was better. (This was, of course, in the heyday of the triplets.) As has been mentioned if SB added $1000 to the cost of each cruise I'm sure the wine selection could be improved. I would venture to guess that if a poll were conducted most people would not be willing to pay extra. On the other hand those who suggest SB start calling them House Wines are on to something. That will avoid disappointment.

wingspan does have label and isn't specific to Seabourn (although the bottle in this case mary be a "special run"

Mid range here if you can get it and about same $$ as Villa Maria IMHO the Oyster bay is awful

f

The Villa Maria is ok, if available, bought some recently in Aus and it was $18 a bottle. I agree the oyster bay is not as good IMO. If wingspan is as good as the VM I'll be quite happy drinking that. Also bought a bottle of the Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio, about $24 i paid and it was nice drinking. However I do agree with others they should not promote the "Fine Wines"

Has anyone posted a recent list of wines that are available for purchase? I would be interested to see the availability and the markup.

I enjoy excellent wines but can also enjoy more common wines as well. For example, I often have had the Santa Maria Pinot, the Banfi Chianti and the ANakena Merlot and they are enjoyable.

I will be on the Sojourn in July. I imagine we will purchase better bottles for a few of our meals.

Has anyone posted a recent list of wines that are available for purchase? I would be interested to see the availability and the markup.

I enjoy excellent wines but can also enjoy more common wines as well. For example, I often have had the Santa Maria Pinot, the Banfi Chianti and the ANakena Merlot and they are enjoyable.

I will be on the Sojourn in July. I imagine we will purchase better bottles for a few of our meals.

Don't have a list, the wines were .. ok. We had a couple of very nice wines we'd never have found in Singapore but there were quite a few wines which I thought had no place on a premier wine list, it wasn't hard to sort the good from the bad. We felt that Seabourn were charging a lot for the wines on the list, they didn't pay duty and were charging close to duty-paid prices, the last Silversea we were on a few years ago, the list was cost plus and we saw more people ordering off it. I thought in general the old world wines were worse value than the new, a shame as there were some lovely Italian wines we were very keen to try but we tried just one.

I really recommend getting the list early in the cruise and reading it cover to cover. Don't be hurried, don't be rushed, we chose a few we thought were worth trying during the cruise and tried them all, they were all good, the value was .. just ok.

Another option is to bring one's own wine aboard. usually there's a good wine shop in most ports of embarkation which makes it easy. And many ports mid cruise will also offer that possibility. Since there's no corkage fee it's a more reasonable way to drink better wines at a lower cost.

Definitely a good idea to bing it on board. Last fall we decided not to find a shop in Civitavecchia prior to boarding.Instead I planned on visiting a wine shop I found in Livorno on a prior cruise as it was our first port of call. It turned out to be a mistake -- we were there on a Sunday and so of course the shops were closed.Anyway, we are planning on doing this prior to embarking in Barcelona in September. Anyone know of any good wine shops there?

As to wines on the reserve list, one very good one we enjoyed on our cruise in December was Penfold's St Henri shiraz. We can buy it for about $75 and I believe the price on the ship was under $100. Another wine they usually have that we like is Antinori Tignanello. Many of those wines are a good value when you consider that the average restaurant usually at least double the retail price.But do know that the list is not extensive.

Definitely a good idea to bing it on board. Last fall we decided not to find a shop in Civitavecchia prior to boarding.Instead I planned on visiting a wine shop I found in Livorno on a prior cruise as it was our first port of call. It turned out to be a mistake -- we were there on a Sunday and so of course the shops were closed.Anyway, we are planning on doing this prior to embarking in Barcelona in September. Anyone know of any good wine shops there?

As to wines on the reserve list, one very good one we enjoyed on our cruise in December was Penfold's St Henri shiraz. We can buy it for about $75 and I believe the price on the ship was under $100. Another wine they usually have that we like is Antinori Tignanello. Many of those wines are a good value when you consider that the average restaurant usually at least double the retail price.But do know that the list is not extensive.

Re: Barcelona ... Cortes Inglese usually has a decent wine selection.

Re: reserve list. We had a very nice Gevrey Chambertin which cost $75.

Archived