Is it difficult to get a table for only two?

JensJ

When you order a cruise, you get the flowering information:

Seating time and table size is assigned based on preference and availability. While your selected choices cannot be guaranteed prior to boarding, we always do our best to ensure that your preferences are reserved. Dining options displayed are based on availability at the time of booking.

Will it be difficult to get a table for only two?

If I choose anytime dining, will I then be sure two get a table for only two?

If I choose traditional dining, and not get a table for only two, can I then chance to anytime dining?

Sorry but I only want to sit with my wife, at my cruise.

Our experiences with anytime dining is that when you get there, they ask if you are willing to share a table. If not, you wait until one is available. Not too onerous from what I saw - we always go for sharing and have met many great people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It does vary by cruise line.

On HAL our TA always requests a table for 2 for us as soon as we make our booking for the fixed seating. And we do get our request.

On HAL, those people who want a table for 2 in the Open Seating just stop by the reservation's desk on embarkation day and make their request. And they can make this request for 3 days at a time. Only problem is you can only make requests for times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9. The times between 6:15 - 7:30 you just show up and hope for the best.

What cruise line are you on? You might want to also post this question on the specific cruise line forum as the answers will vary somewhat.

I'am not on a cruise line jet. Just looking for cruises

It does vary by cruise line.

On HAL our TA always requests a table for 2 for us as soon as we make our booking for the fixed seating. And we do get our request.

On HAL, those people who want a table for 2 in the Open Seating just stop by the reservation's desk on embarkation day and make their request. And they can make this request for 3 days at a time. Only problem is you can only make requests for times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9. The times between 6:15 - 7:30 you just show up and hope for the best.

So far, we had on our 3 HAL cruises, 3 requests for a table for two on fixed early seating and got 2 out of 3, only our last cruise we were at a table for four, with two other guests. Is this also your experience, or did you have a 100% score on all of your requests when opting for a fixed seating for the duration of the cruise?

...Sorry but I only want to sit with my wife, at my cruise.

Dining options vary so much among the cruise lines that it is impossible to give a general answer.

Since you feel so strongly about getting a table for two, and only two, you would get better advice by going to the board for the particular cruise line of interest. There are people who have been there, done that, and can tell you how a particular ship assigns seating.

Dining options vary so much among the cruise lines that it is impossible to give a general answer.

Since you feel so strongly about getting a table for two, and only two, you would get better advice by going to the board for the particular cruise line of interest. There are people who have been there, done that, and can tell you how a particular ship assigns seating.

Thank you. I will do that

On the Crown & the Grand Princess in the last year, we ate about 7:30pm and had Anytime Dining. We were willing to share and never waited. Many evenings there was a wait for a table for 2. Those so requesting were given a beeper. I don't know what kind of a wait there was.

Another consideration is that many of the tables for two are very close (6 to 12) inches from another table.

You can always get a table for two if you pick any time dining, or whatever your line's version of that is. With traditional dining it will not be guaranteed. If you book traditional & get a table you don't like, you may not be allowed to switch. It would seem to me that it's easier to switch out of traditional than in to it but the cruise line is not obligated to allow you to change.

We always pick any time dining because if we are in the mood to socialize at dinner we can pick a table to share but when we just want to be alone we can.

We chose Anytime Dining on our last Princess cruise because we wanted to just sit alone. It's not often we get a week off together, just the two of us.

So...we did a specialty restaurant the first night and the ATD room the second, requesting a table for 2. The tables are so close to the next table for 2 that we may as well have been seated with the parties on each side of us. It was obvious all of us wanted our alone time, but impossible to have a conversation without the next table hearing us. There was probably a foot space in between each table...we hated it.

We only went back once to the ATD room and threw in the towel, told them to seat us at a table with others and had a nice time with some different couples.

Any mass market cruiseline with Anytime type dining , will have tables for 2 available.

You may have to wait for one at times (usually get a pager when that happens) but you will have one.

Keep in mind , many of these Tables for Two are virtually inches away from the next Table for Two .:eek:

Tables for 2 on Princess, at least on the Sapphire, we're ridiculously close together. Although we found it unacceptable for us on our one attempt at dinner in the MDR, it seemed to be okay during the shorter meals such as afternoon tea and the Pub Lunch. Just a faster meal, more casual feeling, and we felt more comfortable. We had a breakfast and lunch or two in the MDR, requested to sit alone, and were seated alone at a larger table, 4 or 6 top, and that was great. On our upcoming HAL cruise, will take a look at table for two arrangements right away and then determine if we even want to attempt dinner in MDR.

Last June we sailed on Navigator of the Seas and we wanted to eat alone at a table for two. We opted for Anytime Dining and went ahead and made our reservations online for each night before the cruise started. Absolutely loved it! We sat at the same table every night at a window table with the same wait staff. This designated area was for Anytime Dining!

Keep in mind that you do not have to eat in the main dining room at all on mass market cruise ships. You can eat in premium restaurants (prices vary), the buffet, any one of a number of free cafes and pizza places, or even order room service.

Or you can can eat in the main dining room some evenings and not others. The bigger the ship, the greater your dining options will be.

Hubby and I just completed a two-week cruise. We ate the first night in the main dining room and never went back. There were just too many other fun choices for dining. We find the slow pace and structure of the main dining room too limiting.

kind of enjoy meeting other folks.. with anytime and willing to share you meet different folks every evening. last cruise many moons ago we had 2 teenagers and sat with another couple who had 2 teenagers. after the first night the teenagers generlly entertained themselves. the other husband who was tall and skinny skipped dinner every night and ordered one of every desert.

Archived