Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

1st time cruiser here. Where do you guys get your cash from? I've been looking at the post office.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

The Post Office has good rates, but you have to buy a minimum of AUD$200 of any currency and you cannot nominate particular size notes. We often buy a 'currency pack' from ANZ that gives us a mixture of notes.

The Post Office has good rates, but you have to buy a minimum of AUD$200 of any currency and you cannot nominate particular size notes. We often buy a 'currency pack' from ANZ that gives us a mixture of notes.

I'm sailing with RCI so USD it is.....and I was thinking AUD$500 as that is what I was going to put on my sea pass card. Most other things I am prepaying.

Looks like the post office is a good idea then. Thanks for that.

At least we have 90 cents again, up we go, I need to buy for South America, they love the USD there.

Hmm, don't get carried away. It's still down from 92 where it was before the interest rate fall was intimated. But there's resistance at that level, so it would take something significant to go past there.

OTOH, there's a fair bit of space before it reaches support on the downward side.

No major reasons, simply a personal feeling, that's all:) I had thought it may drop to the low 80's. If we could predict, we would all be richer!

Yeah, nobody can predict currencies.

But there are both short term events that can impact, as well as long-term trends that influence it.

There was just a lot of talking down lately... which is what the RBA's been trying to encourage for many months.

I'm sailing with RCI so USD it is.....and I was thinking AUD$500 as that is what I was going to put on my sea pass card. Most other things I am prepaying.

Looks like the post office is a good idea then. Thanks for that.

If you want to prepay an amount for on-board expenses, you can gift yourself some credit, you pay now and use it later when cruising.

Once on-board, your account will the non refundable credit (OBC from the TA and the like) first so what ever is left (as long as it is refundable credit) may be refunded to your credit card.:D

If you want to prepay an amount for on-board expenses, you can gift yourself some credit, you pay now and use it later when cruising.

Once on-board, your account will the non refundable credit (OBC from the TA and the like) first so what ever is left (as long as it is refundable credit) may be refunded to your credit card.:D

They would use RCI's conversion rate wouldn't they?

They would use RCI's conversion rate wouldn't they?

As long as you buy them in USD then it's charged at your card rate.

That said, typical card rates are comparable to RCL rates.

As long as you buy them in USD then it's charged at your card rate.

That said, typical card rates are comparable to RCL rates.

Yes, as Big M has said. It is still a better way to go then buying at an ATM or on board (depending on what the dollar does of course).:D

I'm thinking I'm almost going to let it ride, we cruise in 2 months so I don't think it will crash in that time, just fluctuate between the 88-92c mark. Just pick up some cash at the ATM when we land in Honolulu.

I'm thinking I'm almost going to let it ride, we cruise in 2 months so I don't think it will crash in that time, just fluctuate between the 88-92c mark. Just pick up some cash at the ATM when we land in Honolulu.

We are on the cruise prior to that as well, so a few more excursions and days when USD is needed. But yes, for us it is the ATM cash withdrawal, better than a travel card for this purpose as cash is needed.:D

As long as the notes are crisp new ones without any marks or tears on them. In Peru , South America , we had a taxi driver make one of us wait in the car while the other had to go back on board to get a new US note as there was a slight nick in the one we gave him.

Insist when picking up cash from your bank ,or wherever ,that the notes are brand new.

Also with the sophistication of printers these days , counterfeits are becoming common and people are shying away from cash.:eek:

Yes mate, I know they like the new notes, been to Argentina once and Peru twice before.

Yes mate, I know they like the new notes, been to Argentina once and Peru twice before.

They would also prefer you give them $50 or $100 notes when you buy a drink (no change sorry):eek:

Edited by MicCanberra

As long as the notes are crisp new ones without any marks or tears on them. In Peru , South America , we had a taxi driver make one of us wait in the car while the other had to go back on board to get a new US note as there was a slight nick in the one we gave him.

Insist when picking up cash from your bank ,or wherever ,that the notes are brand new.

Just so they can go wild scribbling over them!

Never understood the point of that. Supposed to be testing if it's counterfeit, but I'm not sure how.

Just so they can go wild scribbling over them!

Never understood the point of that. Supposed to be testing if it's counterfeit, but I'm not sure how.

Me either, a total mystery, perhaps it is the texta ink reacting with the ink on the note.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

They would also prefer you give them $50 or $100 notes when you buy a drink (no change sorry):eek:

Thats why you always try to take small denominations. Banks will try and off load big notes onto you. Do not accept them , as you will have no end of bother trying to cash them.

Big notes are OK to pay your shipboard account , but are a No No ashore.:D

Me either, a total mystery, perhaps it is the texta ink reacting with the ink on the note.:D

It's a special pen. If the bill is made from the right material (starch-free paper), it's virtually colorless (looks to be a light yellow that fades away). But in wood-based paper, the iodine reacts with the starch and it turns black.

It's only useful to detect really obvious fakes. Any halfway legitimate (ha!) counterfeiter would use the right paper (or at least, starch-free). It is definitely much quicker to check an ink mark than taking 30 seconds to examine each bill for security marks and what-not.

Thats why you always try to take small denominations. Banks will try and off load big notes onto you. Do not accept them , as you will have no end of bother trying to cash them.

Big notes are OK to pay your shipboard account , but are a No No ashore.:D

We have found the opposite. When we have bought currency from a bank we can either nominate exactly what we want, or take their 'pack' that has a range of currency, even US$1 notes. When we purchased from the Post Office it was all in large denomination notes. I think they were all $100 US which are very difficult to use. Most places won't take them at all.