Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

Right now -- it appears that the map is not working at all -- everything is Grey!!! However, it has been working with red, blue and grey - the grey signifying undecided electorates. Barry

MicCanberra: $0.9212 this morning.

Per this morning's Wall Street Journal here' date=' they have the Aussie dollar [b']at $0.9212. Matched numbers [/b] to what you posted earlier. Now the question is for how things shake out in the next few months before we arrive in Australia on Jan. 12, 2014.

I had checked the map suggested, but it was not working right for me yesterday.

From the Brisbane Times, Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia today, they have this headline: "'Grandiose narcissist': The secret diagnosis that helped bring down Kevin Rudd" with these highlights: "The Liberal Party had a secret campaign tool in the form of a personality diagnosis of Kevin Rudd which found him suffering from a disorder known as 'grandiose narcissism', writes The Australian Financial Review's Pamela Williams. Rudd was held together by one key strut: an absolute conviction of intellectual superiority over everyone else. 'Kick out that strut and he will collapse.' As Tony Abbott’s supporters screamed the room down at Sydney’s Four Season’s Hotel they also buried the last vestige of a terrible three year-experiment on the other side – a saga which had seen a Labor government destroy two of its own prime ministers before flaming out itself. A one-time journalist and a man who had won his party’s leadership in 2009 by one vote, Abbott had defied the calculated demonisation by three previous Labor prime ministers – Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard and then Kevin Rudd again – to march improbably to victory. Abbott had had, for the previous five weeks, a political campaign machine which ran with the unblinking focus of a hungry man on the last mile. They had built a strategy around fighting Gillard, but anticipated always a return to Rudd. They had shifted their sights from one to the next. Liberal campaign experts had sometimes joked to each other that public antipathy to Gillard meant they needed only to hang her photo on walls around the country and then sit back; but when it came to Rudd, they believed his messianic self-belief and micro-managing style would soon emerge to remind voters of why they too had lost faith in him the first time around. The ruthless manner in which Rudd had been despatched by his own side in 2010 had laid the seeds. His successor Gillard had never explained why Rudd had been destroyed. Had she done so – invoking the tale of dysfunctional management which seeped out in any case – then Gillard might have at least partially headed off the public traction which Rudd was able to invoke later as a victim, and a prime ministerial victim moreover, unjustly dealt with."

Don't know exactly what is true, BUT, this is a fascinating story/analysis that probes some of the various "psychology factors" involved in politics and campaigns. Following such campaigns and how they are reported are very interesting to me.

From Wall Street Journal today, they have this headline: "Small Parties Gain Power in Australia's Senate". The sub-head is: "Incoming Liberal Nationals May Have to Bargain for Upper House Success". Here are some of the story highlights: "Australia's incoming prime minister, Tony Abbott, faces an unexpected new wrinkle to pushing through his policies — a smattering of obscure political parties that are likely to become influential in the nation's senate. A hodgepodge of smaller and fringe parties advocating everything from souped-up cars to looser gun laws appear on course to win a number of crucial seats in the so-called upper house, where laws go for final approval. Their unusual success in the election may hinder Mr. Abbott's pledges to repeal the carbon tax and the previous Labor government's levy on 'excessive' mining company profits. Mr. Abbott has also promised to cut corporate taxes, deter asylum seekers and modernize roads. The small-party newcomers to the senate will have a strong interest in advancing their own profiles and asserting their clout. That incentive may force the government into horse-trading to push through its policies after the new senators take their seats at the middle of next year. From Su-Lin Ong, a Sydney-based economist at RBC Capital Markets: 'The ability of the new government to begin and undertake economic and policy change will depend on its ability to work with the senate.' New senators are chosen on rotation, with half of the 76 members selected at each election to sit for six years. The pro-environment Greens, who are strongly in favor of the carbon and mining taxes and oppose the coalition's tough stance on asylum seekers, presently hold the balance of power with nine seats. The Labor party, which ruled in alliance with the Greens, currently has 31 and the Liberal Nationals hold 34 seats in the upper house. Among those tipped to win seats in the new senate is pro-gun campaigner David Leyonhjelm, who represents the Liberal Democratic Party in New South Wales, Australia's most populous state. He advocates arming teachers to prevent tragedies such as last year's school-shooting tragedy in Sandy Hook, Conn. in the U.S. A libertarian, Mr. Leyonhjelm also wants cannabis legalized and opposes recent government regulations to deter smoking. Ricky Muir of the Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party is also tipped to take a senate seat, in Victoria state. Mr. Muir advocates making it easier for car owners to ramp up their engines. Wayne Dropulich, a civil engineer and amateur American football player, is set to win a seat in the state of Western Australia. He represents the Australian Sports Party, which calls for more government investment to encourage healthy lifestyles. The Palmer United Party, founded by mining entrepreneur Clive Palmer, looks like it will pick up senate seats in Queensland and Tasmania states. Mr. Palmer, a longtime advocate of lower taxes and higher health spending, also seemed on course to secure a seat for his party in the lower house."

"Politics" always has its many and unique twists and turns. That's what makes it interesting for me to follow and try to figure out. Not all, however, share this type of "pain" and puzzlement. By November and December, things will "settle out" more on China, etc., as to ALL of that is impacting the value of the Aussie dollar.

Full stories at:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/grandiose-narcissist-the-secret-diagnosis-that-helped-bring-down-kevin-rudd-20130909-2tfum.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324549004579064481761165674.html?mod=WSJWorld__LEFTTopStories

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,567 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I heard the stories of four of the newly elected Senators last night. Two were very reasonable, and one of those was the "gun toting" advocate.

His point was that the laws simply do not stop the criminals from obtaining weapons, and I'd have to agree with that. He mentioned nothing about arming teachers and that would NEVER happen in Australia. He simply wants to ensure that the Govt does not impose more restrictions on liberties than they already have (no problems there either, we are becoming a nanny country).

The other person I liked was from WA and he seems genuine and will not unnecessarily impede legislation.

The third guy was rather scary. The fourth guy I suspect has never even set foot in parliament and may not even realise he has committed himself to six years service in Canberra. He thinks "dacking" people and throwing roo poo at friends is funny. Sigh. I think after 12 months he'll be sick of it all and resign.

Yes, and a full term with Superannuation is not to be dismissed easily.:D

6 years, with a great salary & perks & no kpi's or budgets to meet - sign me up now :D

Actually, I suspect there will be some 'spirit of co-operation' from these 'minors' should push come to shove in the senatefrom July 1. Whilst they will try and play politics for all it is worth, they will not want a double dissolution as they would risk not being so lucky 2nd time around. For example, the Liberal Democrat guy from NSW isn't likely to draw the #1 position and benefit from the donkey vote again.

Even the greens, with their vote greatly reduced this time around, won't want to risk losing the power they hold.

Anyway, enough of politics - only 42 more sleeps to our cruise :D:D:D

Seeing as how it is currently fashionable to include someone's private name in a new political party eg PUP and KAP , I did think of forming the BIP and standing for election as a Senator myself (BIP standing for, of course, Barry's Inebriated Party). I am now convinced that it would have done well - as it is something most Aussies would identify with. SIGH!

Seeing as how it is currently fashionable to include someone's private name in a new political party eg PUP and KAP , I did think of forming the BIP and standing for election as a Senator myself (BIP standing for, of course, Barry's Inebriated Party). I am now convinced that it would have done well - as it is something most Aussies would identify with. SIGH!

I am sure you will do alright, but perhaps northern QLD will make you a shoe in for a position.:rolleyes:

Sure, the money is there, but for a dud, the thought of transitory living in Canberra and away from home would pale after a couple of years. Shame there is no KPI requirement for Senators. Do they even have to "attend"? Must be a minimum, surely? Please? :o

Edited by Pushka

Hmmm -- do you know how much a Senator gets paid????? :) Barry

Did a quick Google check and saw that the starting/base salary was about $190K++. Pretty good money!! Don't know what are the other perks, pensions, etc., etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 117,978 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sure, the money is there, but for a dud, the thought of transitory living in Canberra and away from home would pale after a couple of years. Shame there is no KPI requirement for Senators. Do they even have to "attend"? Must be a minimum, surely? Please?

Brings memories of the 'Better Future for our children' party rep who served his 6? years doing pretty much nothing. Think he gave one speech.

Same MO with these guys.

The 6 new ones aren't winners.

1, the Lib Democrat (presumably named to get votes from across the spectrum - and it worked) is a long term politicker. Saw him on tv last night and he said said he'd agree with the government about anything as long as it doesn't reduce freedom, or increase taxes. So a policy of free alcohol for all he'd be fine with. His ideal policy would probably be to get rid of all police - Reduce taxes AND increase liberty, so a win-win from his perspective. It looks like he's in it for the money though - I think he'd be getting about $600,000 just from winning, plus his $200k salary, so he's laughing.

2. Family First. Now we have a party with an ironic name since its main focus are actually anti family policies like being anti-environment and don't believe in science. Ultra conservative.

3. The sporting party. Only got 1900 votes, yet meant to represent hundreds of thousands of people. Clearly something is wrong. Also saw him last night and he doesn't even have any policies yet (aside from being "pro-sport" whatever that means). Said he'll come up with them when it's clear if he's voted in. Great, eh.

And 4 - the Motoring rep - is MIA. Doesn't talk to anyone which is great for a 'representative!' Looks like he entered for a bit of fun, and now it's all become serious, so doesn't know what to do.

5 and 6. Then we have the Palmer reps. Economics isn't their strong suit as they had the laughable theory that the less they tax, the more tax they collect! Tried to base it in pseudo theoretical economics, but you don't need to be an economist to just look at the saving rate and see it has been trending up the past few years. Plus any economist is well aware that higher income earners are less likely to spend all their income as their disposable income rises. Again, just going for populist policies to buy votes. Not in it for good governance of the country.

Of course, their boss also claimed that the wife of Rupert Murdoch is a spy - no evidence or basis for that claim - amongst other howlers so you can see where he stands on knowledge.

Clearly, things have been too good for our country when you get special interests who aren't about good governance like this mob getting in.

Sure, the money is there, but for a dud, the thought of transitory living in Canberra and away from home would pale after a couple of years. Shame there is no KPI requirement for Senators. Do they even have to "attend"? Must be a minimum, surely? Please? :o

Contrary to popular belief most pollies do not live here in Canberra, they live in their own constituancies, they only have to be here for when parliament sits and they get an allowance to stay here while that happens.:D

BTW, Senators only sit for 10 (4 day) weeks. If they are also in a Budget committee, they will need to be here for a further 3 weeks (Budget Estimates in May, Supplementary Budget Estimates in Oct and Additional Budget Estimates in Feb).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Contrary to popular belief most pollies do not live here in Canberra, they live in their own constituancies, they only have to be here for when parliament sits and they get an allowance to stay here while that happens.:D

I think most know they don't live there unless Parliament is sitting. That's why I called it transitory living. ;).

The AUD is currently sitting at $0.927.:D

YES! Moving up. Per this morning's Wall Street Journal, it is $0.9303.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,636 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Will it make it to 95? Where did I hide that crystal ball? Seems to be heading in the right direction for the time being....:D

Great figures out of China are having a positive impact.

Electricity utilisation is up at its highest in 2 years so their productive activity is looking very positive.

Great figures out of China are having a positive impact.

Electricity utilisation is up at its highest in 2 years so their productive activity is looking very positive.

Other reasons may be -

Gold is falling along with other commodities like Oil;

US have not eased their quantitative easing and may be going to war in Syria;

People around the world are looking to invest in our dollar again.:D