Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

The Australian is reporting today " AFTER months of being attacked by the bears, the Aussie dollar is winning some more bullish bets as the global economy picks up steam and the Reserve Bank takes its foot off the gas pedal.

Late yesterday, Commonwealth Bank’s veteran chief currency strategist Richard Grace tipped the dollar to undertake a "tactical lift" to US94c.

It comes after the dollar’s downward spiral from around $US1.05 in April, prompting strategists to cut their bets: Credit Suisse in July lopped its 12-month forecast to US75c.

The dollar has bounced more than US2c in the last week to around US91.70c, boosted by yesterday’s better than expected 0.6 per cent rise in second quarter gross domestic product.

Barry

I'm surprised about the Aussie $ at the moment.

The increase the past day has been due to the Australian growth figures continuing to be good.

Guess the markets were believing some of the negativity that's gone around and were reassured things weren't as bad as had been talked down.

Which site are you using? XE.com doesn't show the AUD as having broken .92 USD.

Same. The highest it actually reached today (overnight) was .9188.

Back down a little to 0.9142 as the trade figures today weren't as expected (exports steady, but imports were up).

Not to ignite any political talk again, but would the election only being a week away, effect the dollar, with people making feeling more confident in its value based on their perceived outcome of the election? Or is it only because of the better growth figures published, interest rates on hold etc?

Maybe my decision to let it ride will pay of when we head to the US in a little over 3 weeks :)

Edited by Jacs

The increase the past day has been due to the Australian growth figures continuing to be good.

Guess the markets were believing some of the negativity that's gone around and were reassured things weren't as bad as had been talked down.

Yes, the markets seem fragile, very reactive and easily influenced by events and reports both home and abroad.:D

Go dollar Go. The saying reminds me of that very very very bad movie in the 80s Flash Gordon. Go Flash Go Flash. It good for me cause I make final payment for my cruise with US agent in late November. I had a pull out benchmark if the dollar dropped too much.

I guess it depends who you listen to. The growth is below the expected annualised growth and so reported as disappointing.

Growth rates were lower than Australia's long term growth rates.

But also they were ahead of what some were expecting.

Not to ignite any political talk again, but would the election only being a week away, effect the dollar, with people making feeling more confident in its value based on their perceived outcome of the election? Or is it only because of the better growth figures published, interest rates on hold etc?

Maybe my decision to let it ride will pay of when we head to the US in a little over 3 weeks :)

So as to keep it away from politics, keep in mind it's about foreign demand for our dollar, not us selling our dollar that influences the value more.

If you're still not sure, think about how our economy has been rated overseas, and who has gotten awards and recommendations for their stewardship...

From CNN within the past 15 minutes this morning, they have this headline: "Australian election: Rudd concedes defeat to Abbott" with these highlights: "Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd conceded election defeat Saturday after what exit polls suggest will be a landslide victory for conservative challenger Tony Abbott. 'A short time again I telephoned Tony Abbott to concede defeat at this national election,' Rudd said at a party meeting in Brisbane. According to a Sky News/Newspoll survey, Liberal leader Abbott is on course to win a large majority as voters swing away in large numbers from the ruling Labor party. Rudd was conciliatory in his speech and accepted his share of blame. 'Tonight is the time to unite in the great Australian nation,' he said. In his speech he accepted he was to blame for the defeat. Before the vote, commentators said the Australian electorate had tired of the revolving door of Labor leaders, and were looking for change. Back in June, Rudd's Labor colleagues had hoped he'd bring the same magic to the polls demonstrated in 2007 when he defeated the former Liberal leader John Howard. However, the early lift Rudd brought to the election race quickly faded, and in the final days of the campaign the Labor leader was vowing he'd fight to the end."

It has been super interesting for me to follow the various comments/insights on these Cruise Critic boards, plus in reading the various Fairfax and NewsCorp newspaper stories, seeing the coverage on the debates, the issues back-and-forth, the polling, etc. Now we settle in for watching where the economic value will head in the next few months as we prepared for our Jan. 12 arrival in Australia for our Jan. 20-Feb. 3 cruise. It's been a great learning experience to see this process and how campaigns are conducted there.

As per this am's Wall Street Journal, the Aussie dollar is at $0.9184.

Full CNN story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/07/world/asia/australia-election/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 141,322 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry in Ohio

Just to cap this all off and seeing as how you have enjoyed pondering our political landscape here in Australia -- perhaps you might find this map interesting. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/2013-election-results

You can see from it that it is very obvious (at least to me) that Australia has a great divide between those who live in the cities and those who live in the rural areas. (note that there is one error/problem with this map - and that is that the large area in the north of Qld that is shown in red, implying that it lies to the left side of the political spectrum -- but that seat is actually held by an Independent member of Parliament who was originally part of the right side of the spectrum and, in my view , should probably be coloured blue :) . Most Aussies do live in the city and many NEVER venture far beyond the city boundaries. This especially applies to the MANY immigrants who have taken up residence here in Australia over the past 30-40 years. Earlier immigrants did settle in country/rural areas, but these days they seem mostly to come to and stay in the cities. Meanwhile the Australian countryside is becoming increasingly depopulated (as has happened elsewhere in the World -- especially Europe).

Hope you enjoy your short stay here.

Barry

I cannot say that the map is very accurate, Canberra is not even shown.:D

I found that map very confusing too. e.g. All NSW is red, all WA is blue, but then QLD is mixed up. But that doesn't reflect voting - although figures aren't in yet. But then they should be different colours instead of red or blue if results aren't known.

Edited by The_Big_M

I found that map very confusing too. e.g. All NSW is red, all WA is blue, but then QLD is mixed up. But that doesn't reflect voting - although figures aren't in yet. But then they should be different colours instead of red or blue if results aren't known.

Right now -- it appears that the map is not working at all -- everything is Grey!!! However, it has been working with red, blue and grey - the grey signifying undecided electorates. My biggest "problem" with it is that it show Bob Katter's electorate as RED -- I wonder what he would think about that ?? :)

It also has been showing all of the NT as grey -- and I believe that it should be BLUE??

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

What ARE you talking about?? Of course it is shown -- in RED.

Barry

Canberra is there.

I think I had an issue with the currency of the map or something as it was different this time when I opened it. Canberra is back and is red with Independent next to it when that should be red as well. :D

Right now -- it appears that the map is not working at all -- everything is Grey!!! However, it has been working with red, blue and grey - the grey signifying undecided electorates. My biggest "problem" with it is that it show Bob Katter's electorate as RED -- I wonder what he would think about that ?? :)

It also has been showing all of the NT as grey -- and I believe that it should be BLUE??

Barry

I have NT as red, something weird happening with the link and being live (updating) I think.:D

Edited by MicCanberra