Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

Dollar dropped below $0.89 for a while today, that jawboning is still having an effect and with possible drops in interest rates next year, it is certainly going to drop further. MYEFO and the subsequent forecasting for slow growth would be putting investors off, causing a drop in the AUD as well. Great for Terry, not so much for us.:D

Indeed, house wine on the cruises. Glass of Chateau Cardboard Dry White please steward, hold the Bollinger, I am an Australian and our dollar is stuffed abroad. LOL.

While you are there steward, please take off the 15% drink gratuity, for I cannot afford that either, LOL. And you can shove your photos and coffee cards !!!

Crikey I am a scrooge. Terry in Ohio, what have you done to us old son?

Edited by NSWP

Indeed, house wine on the cruises. Glass of Chateau Cardboard Dry White please steward, hold the Bollinger, I am an Australian and our dollar is stuffed abroad. LOL.

While you are there steward, please take off the 15% drink gratuity, for I cannot afford that either, LOL. And you can shove your photos and coffee cards !!!

It's just a pity our rate didn't stay at $1.11, as long as theirs has been. :(

Ah well, there's always baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.

I am surprised you are calling for your steward when you are a stow away.:eek:

LOL, you could be his special AUD liaison officer.:D

MicCanberra: Dollar dropped below $0.89 for a while today' date=' that jawboning is still having an effect and with possible drops in interest rates next year, it is certainly going to drop further. MYEFO and the subsequent forecasting for slow growth would be putting investors off, causing a drop in the AUD as well. [b']Great for Terry, not so much for us[/b]

NSWP: Crikey I am a scrooge. Terry in Ohio' date=' [b']what have you done to us old son?[/b]

Appreciate these added comments and my "promotion" to being a "Special AUD Liaison Officer". How much does that pay?

As of this morning, the Aussie dollar is $0.8868 per the Wall Street Journal. Yesterday, we finalize paying a good chunk of cash for our two-days on Kangaroo Island. As this exchange rate, it was lots less than originally planned when the rate was not as good for our interests.

It’s now exactly one month till we will be boarding the Solstice in super spectacular Sydney harbor with our neighbors of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. For our Jan. 9 flight out, it's only 20 days away. Getting much, much closer!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorite, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had 32,755 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Appreciate these added comments and my "promotion" to being a "Special AUD Liaison Officer". How much does that pay?

As of this morning, the Aussie dollar is $0.8868 per the Wall Street Journal. Yesterday, we finalize paying a good chunk of cash for our two-days on Kangaroo Island. As this exchange rate, it was lots less than originally planned when the rate was not as good for our interests.

It’s now exactly one month till we will be boarding the Solstice in super spectacular Sydney harbor with our neighbors of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. For our Jan. 9 flight out, it's only 20 days away. Getting much, much closer!!

Glad you are at least saving some money (or able to spend more) in Australia, you will love the Solstice, it is a beautiful ship leaving from the most beautiful harbour in the world. KI will be Remarkable for many reasons.

cheers mic:D

Glad you are at least saving some money (or able to spend more) in Australia, you will love the Solstice, it is a beautiful ship leaving from the most beautiful harbour in the world. KI will be Remarkable for many reasons. cheers mic:D

Appreciate your kind wishes and continued wise insights. Getting much closer. Paid for our Kangaroo Island tour/stay at an 88.45 cents rate about two weeks ago. Getting a little Aussie currency to have have when we land. Will get more from ATM's there in Australia. Rate at 88.88 cents this morning. Just a little over a week till we depart on Jan. 9. Do Hawaii two-night stop, then arrive in Brisbane/Cairns on Jan. 12.

From the Brisbane Times, Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia today, they have this headline: "Aussie dollar headed for US80¢ with RBA to cut rates again, says BlackRock" with these highlights: "The world’s biggest money manager BlackRock sees Australia’s dollar falling 10 per cent as disappointing economic growth forces the Reserve Bank of Australia to cut its benchmark rate to as low as 2 per cent. The Aussie will drop toward US80¢ from US88.85¢ last week, said Stephen Miller, a money manager in Sydney at BlackRock, which oversees $US4.1 trillion worldwide. The Reserve Bank of Australia may lower its cash target from an already record low 2.5 per cent in April. BlackRock joins Pacific Investment Management in predicting a weaker currency and sluggish growth for Australia as the economy struggles to adjust to a drop in mining investment. 'The Aussie will go lower,' said Miller. 'Once it gets to 80 cents, you start thinking the Aussie is worth a look from the long side, but I wouldn’t be trying to trade it from the long side before US80¢.' The Australian dollar has fallen about 15 per cent this year as the RBA has cut its benchmark by 50 basis points and the US central bank announced a dialing back of monetary stimulus. For Miller, a fair value for the Australian dollar is lower than US85¢ because he is 'less sanguine' on the economy than the RBA."

Full story at:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/markets/currencies/aussie-dollar-headed-for-us80-with-rba-to-cut-rates-again-says-blackrock-20131230-302fb.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 156,712 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Dollar is still fluctuating between $0.885 and $0.895 for the past week or so, and most likely will stay like that for the holiday period. I wish you a safe journey Terry, and hope that Australia turns it on for you. Happy New Year.:D

The AUD is tipped to go to $0.80 by mid 2014, time will tell.:D

Thanks Terry in Ohio, enjoyed your comments re USD/AUD, even though I am travelling OS in Feb for 3 months, we are just going to spend 10% less.

Enjoy your trip to OZ, safe travels and spend plenty.

Thanks Terry in Ohio, enjoyed your comments re USD/AUD, even though I am travelling OS in Feb for 3 months, we are just going to spend 10% less.

Enjoy your trip to OZ, safe travels and spend plenty.

He leaves next week Thursday so he still may find a little fluctuation in the dollar by then.:D

The AUD is up today and sitting at 0.898. I hope it is not an anomoly and keeps going or at least stays up.:D

I will drink to that. Six weeks today we fly out to Santiago, Chile for a few days then onto Argentina for a few days, pre Golden Princess on 1 March. Need some USD, GBP and Euro, up you go you little Aussie battler.

I will drink to that. Six weeks today we fly out to Santiago, Chile for a few days then onto Argentina for a few days, pre Golden Princess on 1 March. Need some USD, GBP and Euro, up you go you little Aussie battler.

Fingers crossed.

Have you have all your visa's / reciprocity fees paid?

Fingers crossed.

Have you have all your visa's / reciprocity fees paid?

Of course Mic, I am a real advance planner, certainly contributing to the South American economy before I even get on the ship !

Of course Mic, I am a real advance planner, certainly contributing to the South American economy before I even get on the ship !

That is good.:D

I cannot believe how many people say 'I didn't know" in regards to having Visa's or paying fees. You would think that if anyone is travelling abroad that they would check if there is anything required for entry to that country, even if they haven't heard of anything previously. I certainly do prior to booking anything. It is also on cruise documents, the TAs email and on the Cruise lines email, to ensure people know. But still some people are oblivious.:D

That is good.:D

I cannot believe how many people say 'I didn't know" in regards to having Visa's or paying fees. You would think that if anyone is travelling abroad that they would check if there is anything required for entry to that country, even if they haven't heard of anything previously. I certainly do prior to booking anything. It is also on cruise documents, the TAs email and on the Cruise lines email, to ensure people know. But still some people are oblivious.:D

Yes Princess are pretty good at reminding you of the 'Extortion Fees' (as I call them !) as are the airlines, plus I have ventured to the depths of South America before, albeit only to Peru and Argentina.

Looking forward to the big Falls?

Edited by NSWP

Yes Princess are pretty good at reminding you of the 'Extortion Fees' (as I call them !) as are the airlines, plus I have ventured to the depths of South America before, albeit only to Peru and Argentina.

Yes, I am looking forward to them as well.:D

The Australian government charges their citizens to visit here - so it's reciprocal extortion I suppose you could say.

Iguazu Falls are great - we visited not this last time, but the time before at this time of the year.