Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

No doubt Terry in Ohio, who started this mammoth, never ending story, is now in Terra Australis, contributing to the Aus/NZ economy. Enjoying also the largesse of the AUD.

Where is the boy? Get on here, update please !

Crikey the NZD is strong, $1.06 against AUD. Parity nears.

Edited by NSWP

No doubt Terry in Ohio, who started this mammoth, never ending story, is now in Terra Australis, contributing to the Aus/NZ economy. Enjoying also the largesse of the AUD.

Where is the boy? Get on here, update please !

Crikey the NZD is strong, $1.06 against AUD. Parity nears.

Yes, pretty soon those Kiwis will be buying land / housing and living here.:eek::rolleyes:

Edited by MicCanberra

Mic, perhaps not many Kiwis in Canberraville, but they have been in Cronulla and Bondi for decades, I can assure thee.

I mean look at AUS v NZ, earthquakes almost unheard of and nice weather. Plus we have a better cricket team and an Air Force with Fighter capability. And....we talk the Queens English a little nicer. Standby for incoming from David and his Kiwi mob. LOL.

Oh, they have no cruise ships either, Hee, Hee.

Edited by NSWP

Mic, perhaps not many Kiwis in Canberrasville, but they have been in Cronulla and Bondi for decades, I can assure thee.

I mean look at us v NZ, no earthquakes and nice weather.

I know, I meant to put the sarcasm smiley :rolleyes: there instead.:D I have added it now as I could still edit the post. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I haven't read every page of this long post, so apologies if this has already been covered...

Frequent cruisers on ships that run shipboard accounts in USD or who visit countries that accept USD might consider opening a bank account in the US and getting a debit card for that account. When checking in for the cruise, give them your US debit card and choose the "my bank will do the currency exchange" option (there is no exchange, so no fees).

This has a few advantages:

1. You can move funds when exchange rates are favourable. My average is around 1 AUD to 1.04 USD. That's a lot better than current rates, and the AUD is likely to fall further.

2. Some international banks charge much lower fees for currency exchange. I pay about 0.5% of the amount converted ($5 per $1000), whereas most aussie banks and auspost (amex) are charging roughly 3% to 5%.

3. If the ship has ATMs, as RCCL do you, can withdraw US dollars in cash directly. My bank refunds the ATM fee, so it's free. Very handy if you travel to countries that use USD.

4. You can pay for cruises in US dollars from the US travel sites with no exchange commissions. Prices are often lower, particularly if you have exchanged at favourable rates. :)

You don't necessarily have to travel to the US to set it up.

Beware of local (Australian) banks that offer a USD denominated bank account that don't have access to the US payments system - this will not work.

I haven't read every page of this long post, so apologies if this has already been covered...

Frequent cruisers on ships that run shipboard accounts in USD or who visit countries that accept USD might consider opening a bank account in the US and getting a debit card for that account. When checking in for the cruise, give them your US debit card and choose the "my bank will do the currency exchange" option (there is no exchange, so no fees).

1. You can move funds when exchange rates are favourable. My average is around 1 AUD to 1.04 USD. That's a lot better than current rates, and the AUD is likely to fall further.

2. Some international banks charge much lower fees for currency exchange. I pay about 0.5% of the amount converted ($5 per $1000), whereas most aussie banks and auspost (amex) are charging roughly 3% to 5%.

3. If the ship has ATMs, as RCCL do you, can withdraw US dollars in cash directly. My bank refunds the ATM fee, so it's free. Very handy if you travel to countries that use USD.

4. You can pay for cruises in US dollars from the US travel sites with no exchange commissions. Prices are often lower, particularly if you have exchanged at favourable rates. :)

Beware of local (Australian) banks that offer a USD denominated bank account that don't have access to the US payments system - this will not work.

Very interesting, that may well be a thing to investigate further, especially when I am travelling more.:D

Would love to know how you opened a US BAnk A/c. We tried to do it, while we were in the US earlier this year & they said we needed proof of a residential address in the US

my email is tmullockatoptusnetdotcomdotau, if you would like to share

Thanks

Tanya

Would love to know how you opened a US BAnk A/c. We tried to do it, while we were in the US earlier this year & they said we needed proof of a residential address in the US

my email is tmullockatoptusnetdotcomdotau, if you would like to share

Thanks

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I opened our US account through HSBC in Australia (where we reside). I have been told this this is not as easy now as it was then, but worth an inquiry.

Other members of my family opened an account over the counter at Wells Fargo in the US recently.

Neither of us provided a US address nor did we claim US residency.

Hi Tanya,

I opened our US account through HSBC in Australia (where we reside). I have been told this this is not as easy now as it was then, but worth an inquiry.

Other members of my family opened an account over the counter at Wells Fargo in the US recently.

Neither of us provided a US address nor did we claim US residency.

I suppose this account may also be useful for purchases from amazon and the like.:D

I have an account with CitiBank which has no charges: no foreign transaction fees, no foreign currency commission, no foreign ATM fees, etc. it comes with a Visa debit card. I just transfer what we want to use overseas or on board from my normal (in my case Westpac) account and top up as needed. In between trips I just keep a few dollars in it to keep the account open.

I have an account with CitiBank which has no charges: no foreign transaction fees, no foreign currency commission, no foreign ATM fees, etc. it comes with a Visa debit card. I just transfer what we want to use overseas or on board from my normal (in my case Westpac) account and top up as needed. In between trips I just keep a few dollars in it to keep the account open.

I have a 28 degrees cards but they have just changed the rules on 1 Jan so it is not quite so good.:D

I suppose this account may also be useful for purchases from amazon and the like.:D

Yes, and it is frequently used for that purpose! Everything is cheaper.

We also travel to the US on business occasionally, so it's used for hotels, shopping, cars etc. Next trip in June/July includes a Caribbean cruise on Navigator OTS from Galveston. :D

Way to go! I also spoke to Citibank, who had a good offering. HSBC had other products that we wanted to utilise, so they got the business. :)

Yes, and it is frequently used for that purpose! Everything is cheaper.

We also travel to the US on business occasionally, so it's used for hotels, shopping, cars etc. Next trip in June/July includes a Caribbean cruise on Navigator OTS from Galveston. :D

Enjoy the cruise and the shopping.:D

The Sydney DT gives the lower jobs figures for Dec as the reason for a .75c decline. It said whilst the jobless remained at 5.8%, there were 22K less working in Dec vs a prediction by economists of 5K more:eek:. Trust most of those additonal numbers not working are economists :D

The Sydney DT gives the lower jobs figures for Dec as the reason for a .75c decline. It said whilst the jobless remained at 5.8%, there were 22K less working in Dec vs a prediction by economists of 5K more:eek:. Trust most of those additonal numbers not working are economists :D

Further increases in unemployment and more falls in the Aussie dollar are both likely. Plan accordingly. ;)

I have a saying, "Enjoy today, tomorrow we don't know about, and its long time in that burial plot" - so get out, live for today, as if it was your last day on this planet".

Try to help other people on this planet, who need help. Be nice, thankful, and friendly to as many people as possible, including staff on cruise ships, who work under stressful conditions, eg. demanding passengers.

Always remember, we are not here on this planet, for a long time, hopefully, however, for a GOOD TIME. I have always found, whenever, I treat people (including cruise ship staff) the way I would like to be TREATED, I was always get back the same respect, that I would like to receive.

The AUD is now $0.877, dropping quicker then the mercury.:eek:

Maybe the cruise lines operating the 'foreign ships' could drop the tips then for us battling Aussies. LOL. I bet the Pursers Desk would love to hear that.

Edited by NSWP