Hip injury...one week till cruise!

Sumar76

I had injured my hip after Hurricane Sandy helping with my mothers house. It turned out to be a labral tear of the hip. I have been nursing this since march , steroid injection, PT... And it has been feeling better.

Until yesterday...I guess I overdid something because when I got up yesterday morning I could barely walk. Taking antinflammatory, and it is feeling a little bit better today. If the cruise were tomorrow I don't think I could make it.

However since it is a week away I am hoping I get better each day.

Now the questions:

When we have to do the muster drill I'd rather not have to go down/ up the stairs. In an emergency I would do it but I'd rather not if I'm not up to it. Is there someone I can speak with to explain the situation?

Also do they have any wheelchairs available on the Diamond?

Hopefully I won't need one but if this doesn't get much better I'm concerned.

I do have trip insurance but don't want to cancel. My husband and I have been looking forward to this so much. We cancelled our last planned cruise because it was to Bermuda on the "sandy" arrival.

Thanks for any input.

For the muster drill, go early. They usually run out of seats, so that is another reason to be early.

Ships have some extra wheelchairs, but these are for emergencies. They will not have one for you to use for the cruise..

Good luck. Hope you feel better

Muster drill is not optional.

One idea is to board a bit later and stay on the Muster deck until the drill is over. Let the crowds dissipate then go to your room on the elevators

You can also TRY to rent a scooter or wheelchair but with only a weekyou may not have anyluck

You should go to the Passenger Service Desk when you board and let them know about your hip. Ask them if there would be a way for them to take you to muster drill in one of the elevators. I would imagine they have some sort of system for those that cannot take the stairs.

You could also have your travel agent call Princess directly and ask about the wheelchair situation. For that matter, your TA could also ask about muster drill so you could have your answers prior to sailing.

Best of luck.

When you go to Muster, tell them you have an injury and ask to sit in a disability section (it is not marked but is reserved for those who need it). My mom has a disability and we always sit up front and don't have any steps to deal with. They always point people to the back but if you say something, they will accomodate you.

I agree with the comments about going early. We always go early because of this (and to use the elevator when it is not crowded) and stay late (to get the elevator).

Princess knows about my mom's disability but I remember reading that if you have an injury/disability - to tell the Passenger Services Desk at the beginning of the week so that if there is truly an emergency, they will seek you out to give assistance. They also help with disembarkation. Princess does excel in how they treat those with injuries/disabilities.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies.

I don't plan on needing a wheelchair but in an emergency it would be good to know if one is available.

Actually I will not be boarding till around 5:30 as we will be taking the train from Denali. So maybe the muster will be shortly after that.

If it is a long time off i will stop at the desk and ask .

Actually if I know what time it is I can go to that area early like PUl suggested and hang out there and my husband could go get the life vests and bring mine to me.

AND this is the first time we have an aft cabin. Usually we get midship, but thought wed try the aft this time since it was available.. Figures, doesn't it?

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Sue

As Paul said, go early to the muster drill. At least 15 minutes, and get yourself to the Promenade deck before they close off the elevators. You have up until about the time they start making warning announcements and telling the guides to go to their stations.

If you think you might need a wheelchair,go ahead and order a rental one from Special Needs at Sea or Cruise ship Assist ASAP. You will not be able to borrow one from the ship.

Sue,

Would a walker or cane help? Would be alot easier than a wheelchair...just a thought. I am recovering well from hip replacement surgery in March, and the walker was helpful for the first two weeks...Followed by the cane...

Good luck...you have a great attitude and I'm sure it will be a great trip...

In my experience, wheelchairs on board are used only for those that get injured during the cruise as they have no other way to get one. When I broke my ankle on the first day ashore during a 12 day cruise, the medical staff told me to keep off my feet and leant me a wheelchairs that they have onboard for these times.

My wife has some difficulty walking, so I have dealt with Princess on these issues.

You will have no problem using the elevators to get to the muster drill. I agree with the suggestion to go a little early to beat the rush. However, if you are late, just tell the crew member by the elevator that you have difficulty walking and they will let you take the elevator for the drill.

Also, tell the Passenger Services Desk about any mobility issues. They have crew trained to help you to your muster station in the event of an actual emergency. They just need to know who needs help.

Princess has wheel chairs available for you at embarkation and disembarkation only - not for use during the cruise. If you need some help for embarkation, tell them as soon as you get to the terminal. You will be able to bypass some checkin lines and you will be directed to a special seating area. They will then come for you with a wheelchair when it is time to board.

For disembarkation, they will have a specific lounge for anyone needing wheelchair assistance. If you need help then, go to that lounge instead of the one designated for your group.

As stated earlier, they will not provide wheelchairs for your use on the ship or on shore excursions.

I also wish you a speedy recovery and a great cruise. I don't have an answer, but see that you have already received several very good suggestions that should address your concerns. Nicely done, everyone.

I have a travel wheelchair...weighs under 15 pounds.

We had to use it for me for travel in Disney a few years ago (chemo),

and last year we brought it and used on our cruise it as a back-up for my mother-in-law who is eighty plus years old and had broken her hip but had recovered....

So....if ya know anyone with one...might be a good idea to borrow and take....

Bernadette

Thanks everyone so much! I figured I would get some responses, but these ideas are great!

I had no idea there was a number to call and rent one while on the ship. I will look into that but realize it may be too late. I thought I would have to get one here and transport it. Thanks Cherylandtk.

I think I will go get a cane as a minimum.

Thanks NavyVeteran for your experiences. I will not be shy asking if I need assistance.

It's just a little hard for me as I was an RN for 37 years and was/are so used to helping others , it's difficult for me to be the one asking.

Thanks all again, I'm sure it will be fine and determination will help a great deal!

On our March 2010 cruise my father was able to secure the use of a wheel chair from the sapphire ( he had a toe removed shortly before the cruise and it wasnt healing properly and he couldnt put weight on it at all) He needed to wait for it to be delivered, but it was his to use for the length of the cruise.

so do call and check

From the Princess page .... it has the numbers to call for renting a wheelchair: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Have your travel agent notify us of your wheelchair usage, special needs, and/or service animal before your voyage. Notices and requests must be made in writing and faxed to the Princess Access office at 661-284-4408 at least 30 days prior to sailing.

If you have questions about the program, please call the Princess Access office at 661-284-4521.

All Princess ships have wheelchair-accessible staterooms, but we highly recommend collapsible wheelchairs, as the widths of the stateroom doors vary. You may bring your own, or you can pre-reserve a wheelchair and have it and other medical equipment delivered to the ship by contacting Special Needs at Sea at 800-513-4515 (outside the US 954-585-0575) or by visiting specialneedsatsea.com. Alternatively, you can contact CareVacations at 877-478-7827 or cruiseshipassist.com. Some areas on some ships are not wheelchair accessible.

From CareVacations website:

CareVacations can be contacted via phone, fax, email

Phone: 780-986-6404

Toll Free: 1-877-478-7827

Fax: 780-986-6485

780-986-8332

Toll Free: 1-800-648-1116

Email:csa@carevacations.com

Even with such a short time before your cruise, I would contact CareVacations and ask. It is possible that it could still be arranged. It wouldn't be any different really than needing one at home and calling today for delivery today.

I always check where the drill will be and the time, then go early. Carnival has them out on deck by the lifeboats, so by getting there early we had a wall to lean on. With Princess, getting there early means getting a seat if in the lounge etc.

I don't like the "rush" of people down the stairs. I can do stairs but am a bit slower than many.

You will do just fine. We did two cruises within one year after my back surgery ( L5 w/4 screws) the first inside of a few months. Under the supervision of lovely wife plus a cane, I did just fine. Just don't try to do what you can't do.

Don't be to proud except help and take advantage of handicapped help especially at the airport.

I had injured my hip after Hurricane Sandy helping with my mothers house. It turned out to be a labral tear of the hip. I have been nursing this since march , steroid injection, PT... And it has been feeling better.

Until yesterday...I guess I overdid something because when I got up yesterday morning I could barely walk. Taking antinflammatory, and it is feeling a little bit better today. If the cruise were tomorrow I don't think I could make it.

However since it is a week away I am hoping I get better each day.

Now the questions:

When we have to do the muster drill I'd rather not have to go down/ up the stairs. In an emergency I would do it but I'd rather not if I'm not up to it. Is there someone I can speak with to explain the situation?

Also do they have any wheelchairs available on the Diamond?

Hopefully I won't need one but if this doesn't get much better I'm concerned.

I do have trip insurance but don't want to cancel. My husband and I have been looking forward to this so much. We cancelled our last planned cruise because it was to Bermuda on the "sandy" arrival.

Thanks for any input.

I had surgery on my ankle before a cruise last year and could not walk. I rented a scooter from a place called scootaround. They delivered it to my room and picked it up. I was able to get through the door and it was fun running all over the boat. My husband and I got to sit in a special place for the muster drill.

My wife tore a ligament in her ankle a week before the cruise and was wearing an air cast the day we boarded the Grand. As we embarked, I asked if a wheel chair would be available for excursions and they loaned us one for the entire cruise. I was surprised to read so many posts that Princess would not make one available when we had no problem at all.

I broke my leg before our 2007 cruise and could not put any weight on my right leg. Rented a wheelchair from CareVacations. It was great .. it was in the room waiting .. and just left it there when done.

I could get around short distances on crutches and used wheelchair for longer outings and going ashore.

Cost then was $95 for the week.

I bet they can deliver one to the port with 24 hours notice.

For the muster drill, go early. They usually run out of seats, so that is another reason to be early.

Ships have some extra wheelchairs, but these are for emergencies. They will not have one for you to use for the cruise..

Good luck. Hope you feel better

Great advice. Take the lifts and go to your station before the close the lifts, maybe 20-minutes before hand.

Hope you feel better soon!

My wife tore a ligament in her ankle a week before the cruise and was wearing an air cast the day we boarded the Grand. As we embarked, I asked if a wheel chair would be available for excursions and they loaned us one for the entire cruise. I was surprised to read so many posts that Princess would not make one available when we had no problem at all.

You were very lucky to have the loan of a wheelchair. But I wouldn't use your experience as a reason to not bring/rent your own wheelchair for an existing condition. There is no guarantee that the ship will make one available. I have a good friend who tried on two ships to borrow a wheel chair and was told there wasn't one available for her as they were limited to those needing one due to an injury on the cruise. She now has a folding wheel chair that she brings on cruises. Better safe than sorry.

Archived